Smack Talk in Youth Soccer

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by dorset, Mar 25, 2008.

1. nymetrobulls

nymetrobulls New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    nyc
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here. If a kid is starting to piss me off with his talk, I make sure I tackle the shit out of him next chance I get. If he gets up and gives me one of those wtf?!?! looks, then I respond. Tell him to shut the ******** up and play the game the right way. That's how it's dealt with.

2. Vasco

Vasco New Member

Jun 8, 2003
    RIO
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    the smack talk doesn't bother me,

the racial crap has to stop, and it is up to the coach to stop it.

It has happened to kids on my teams and they have said stuff back to them.

I sit them down when i hear it, and tell them to stop it

3. As a manager of a soccer facility I am forced to deal with these types of situations all the time... If someone reports to me that a player or fan has made racist comments I find that person and rip the everloving crap out of them. Then I kick them out. I also tell them that if it happens again they will never set foot inside the complex again. We are located in a rich white section of one of the most segregated cities in America, but there are lots of ethnic players that come here to play. Most of the real problems are with the ethnically-aligned adult teams who have hated each other for years. (Serbs/Croats, English/German, etc.) There have been several "incidents" where talking turned into racially-motivated scuffles. I have had very few reports of youth players using racial slurs although trash talking is pretty common. It is really up to a coach to control their players, but I do instruct the referees to listen and to caution any player who blatantly insults another player or fan. They also know to eject any player using racist language.

On a side note, we also have a flag football league and last week an idiot fan called the opposing team's players n*ggers and spat on them as they were coming up the stairs from the field after the game. Basically a riot involving 50 people resulted and I ended up getting pepper-sprayed by the police who arrived after I had regained order... Something like that has NEVER happened after a soccer game here.

4. jmeek19

jmeek19 New Member

May 13, 2008
    Kadena AB, Japan
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    They get it from their parents, friends, and TV.

If I catch my kids talking, BS'ing, taunting during practice on scrimmages they have to do situps/pushups. And this is at U8/U10- they need to know that its not right.

5. keeperoncampus

keeperoncampus New Member

May 27, 2008
    well the smack talk just shows how competitive the game is becoming, which is a good thing, but it is important the player knows their boundaries in what he/she says to opponents. players need to think beofre they talk, as in life. all smack talking isn't a bad thing, but players need to remember the right from the wrong

6. charlieblanko

charlieblanko Member

Dec 8, 2006
    cal south
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Agree totally keeper, It does show emotion and heart in some instances...but in others it shows lack of control, or too much fire.
    It can be a good thing(like in my dd's case)...It can also be a bad thing(in a racist comment being used).
    Two different ways of "trash talk".
    One is constructive...and one is just a cop out.