Smack Talk in Youth Soccer

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by dorset, Mar 25, 2008.

1. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004

But, there is context behind that "name" that was used that is not as negative as it seems. That title was given AND ADOPTED by the player in question at Regional Camp. In the case you cite, it is more of a joke between the players than something said to get in someone's head.

2. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    You mean, like.....this?
    [​IMG]

3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    At any rate, words ain't nuthin. The last time my kid was rattled by words, he was 9 years old, and his opponent leaned over in a corner kick and told him that he was going to cripple him by breaking his leg. Since then, he just laughs.

It's all harmless, as is the handbags pushing. Until somebody comes in with studs up. Now that's] worth fighting back about.

4. aragrev

aragrev New Member

Apr 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Had an ugly incident last year. My sons U15 team was playing a Latin team(could care less if they were Mexican, Salvadorean or Chilean, considering my son is a Colombian citizen from his mother). Sons team was winning the game and my son was taking an indirect from the half on the opponents side. One of the Latin/Hispanic parent(female) yelled at him "hurry up whitey and kick the ball, stop stalling". She was probably no more than 4 feet from him and my sons first response was "your mother", to which she went crazy. The game ended only a few minutes later with her coming onto the field after the teams had shaken hands and gone into their post game huddles/conferences. She came up to my son and started berating him for saying that "because her mother died a few years ago". A few things happened here. The coaches from my sons team should have never let her near the huddle, because when I saw that I ran onto the field towards my son and this crazy lady pointing her finger in his face.Of course when she saw me coming she left the field but I had a few words to say to my sons coaches who didn't want me on the field but allowed this lady within striking distance of my son, possibly jeopardizing his safety. Not that I condone my sons response but if as a spectator on the sideline your going to hurl remarks at players should you not be ready yourself for a comeback, or do we as spectators have an invisible shield(the cone of silence like Maxwell Smart) and should be able to hurl whatever insults we want towards players on the other team.

5. aragrev

aragrev New Member

Apr 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Charlie I do understand the difference between the usage of the N word. As far as I'm concerned, either way its used is ignorant. Whatever happened happened to calling someone "my brother" or "my man". Just my opinion. I was just looking at what those kids called John R kids. I guess the white M/F wasn't racist.

6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yes, you should.

I remember a U11 game, a suburban mom who didn't understand soccer yelling at an opposing player, "#7, quit pushing." His response - "Fu#k off, bit$h."

A bit harsh, but I was with him on the sentiment. Don't be yelling at other people's kids. If you are, then be prepared to take the heat - if not from the kid, then maybe from the parents.

7. Smashfoot

Smashfoot New Member

Feb 25, 2005
    I must say that when my son was playing as a teenager it often seemed that a riot was about to break out because some of the games were very physical. He never complained about name-calling, however, and I don't recall hearing much, although sometimes there were some obvious conversations going on which probably didn't consist of exchanging pleasantries.

Of course you can never find out from the kid what really happens out there. OTOH, a parent once asked me what a ref had said to me during a brief conversation we had during the course of a game, and I replied that, "He thanked me for the insight and knowledge I brought to the game and encouraged me to continue my thoughtful commentary." That was my recollection, anyway.

8. headerdunce

headerdunce Member

Dec 19, 2005

Agree that parents should never address the kids on the other team. No fan should heckle/talk to players until college or pro, except students from a rival high school should be given some leeway to heckle the opposing teams' players from the stands. But a parent or adult? Never.

9. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL. When I played (late 70s and early 80s), smack talk didn't really bother us. Usually, we just laughed it off. Hispanic teams tend to talk more, but the talk was mostly in Spanish and most of us didn't understand Spanish until our late teens...

...physical play. Different ball game. You could get away with more slide tackles. However, you didn't have the elbow that you see today.

Really, it comes down to coaching. I have coached for 10 years. I know which players will talk smack and which won't. I don't tolerate on my teams.

10. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah, that's my take too.

In fairness, the lady wasn't heckling really. She was just a rec-mom type, upset by the contact that occurs in real soccer. And I don't really condone what the kid said, my boy would be in big trouble if that were him, not that he would say such a thing to an adult, or even a kid for that matter. But the point remains -- we adults have no business telling off kid players. That is for coaches, referees, and the other players to do.

11. Proud Mama

Proud Mama New Member

May 9, 2006
    OC
    Agree. We recently had a mom from an opposing academy team sitting five feet from some of us (parents all sit on same side). She got up from her chair and started screaming at all of us because she did not like the way our boys were playing so rough. I mean she went psycho! We tried to calm her down, but she just wouldn't. One of us had to go get security. Then she runs around to the other side where both teams are sitting with their respective coaches and proceeds to yell at her own team manager and had to be restrained. The players on the benches and on the field while the game is going on are all just watching her. It was really nuts.:eek:

12. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ask the coach to report it to the league. With as many specifics as possible, including player numbers. Most leagues have policies on player conduct. That's about the best you can do.

13. aragrev

aragrev New Member

Apr 23, 2004
    Southern California
    My son said she was pacing the sidelines for the last few minutes until the game was over yelling at him, which I didn't notice. I didn't know what had actually happened until after the fact when my son told me the whole thing on the walk to the car. In truth I thought his response was pretty lame. The parents on our team observed the ladys' behavior and her intent to bring her husband into it. I think if your going to badmouth a player, get ready for the response, no matter what level. It's just pros restrain themselves knowing that there is probably a few thousand fans in the stands who would beat them to death over less. I usually leave my insults for the parents on the other sidelines. I know it doesn't make it right, but if they are going to get away with it in Spanish then why can't I get away with it in English and Spanish. Call me what you want, just the way I feel, especially when my wife (who is a native Spanish speaker) hears them yelling insults to our kids or worse yet giving commands to their kids in Spanish to hurt one of our players or my kids.
    PS.. My son said the lady came very close to him and brought her hand up to him as if she was going to slap him, when he pushed her hand away. Looking back something that probably should have been reported.

14. soccerdaddy

soccerdaddy New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    She must have forgotten to take her meds.....

15. jeremys_dad

jeremys_dad Member

NYC Football Club
    Apr 29, 2007
    The Big Easy
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Be sure to note that your CC;ing to your local newspapers any governing body remotely connected, and the little bastards schools. Ask what the policy is and what they intend to do to address the problem, when they intend to do it and how are they going to measure the results. .

Being a little monster is no longer tolerable in today's society, Most important and particularly with racism.

Theres no place for racism in the Beautiful game.

There's a lot of parental unit education going on when your cheering for the other teams kids when they make good plays or score. The way I look at it that kid could be on my kids team some year.

16. gewyglop

gewyglop Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Let me first say that this type of behavior is evil and harmful.

As long as players are effected by it, then it will continue to happen. Players need to be tough both physically and mentally. If talking smack or making racial comments have no effect, then they will stop being used. Look at Zidane in the WC06 finals. I seriously doubt that Materazzi meant what he told Zidane, he only did it to provolk Zidane and get him thrown out of the match. Had Zidane not been effected by his words, as offensive as they were, France may have won. There was not a single thing that anyone could have ever said to me to get me to react or play different. Parents need to build their childs self esteme to the point were the person talking smack or making racial comments just looks like an idiot because it has no effect.

17. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with your sentiments, but I disagree that it's about "self-esteem." It's about having a thick skin, about focusing on how you handle situations rather than being at the mercy of others, and about being able to rise above petty ugliness. That's not self-esteem, that's just a little bit of mental toughness and a sense of perspective.

18. Tmoto

Tmoto New Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Regarding this (smack talk) and dirty tactics (fouls, holding, etc.) -- the kids doing this cannot beat them straight up -- it's really a compliment to them.

19. brianodom

brianodom New Member

Aug 11, 2006
    Georgia
    I'm not bragging, but I'm one of the most requested coaches in our local club, due to the way i train and discipline players.

Whenever the lads do this kind of thing, its very strict discipline on my behalf.

The parents agree with it, can't have kids running around thinking they're big wheels

20. tscboys

tscboys Member+

Sep 7, 2004
    Tulsa
    The worst thing I've ever seen was when a teammate of mine cleared the ball into the opposing teams parents HARD, hit a lady in the face. The opposing teams parents started chanting "Kill 7 Kill 7". That was messed up, but generally I think it's stupid when people trash talk, and I let it slide for a while; but when it gets to that point that it's annoying, next tackle I try and throw a little extra hurt in on it - usually shuts 'em up. If their going to try and talk me out of my game, I'll hit them out of theirs.

21. Worthless Nut

Worthless Nut New Member

Apr 29, 2008
    I was please this past Sunday with my U-12 team. During the game you could hear the chatter start from the other team and my players were reporting that some of players on the other team was were cussing, swearing, and calling names.
    The game ended on a hard foul by one of their players. The ref came over and issued a card for the foul and for all the arguing the kid had been doing. At that the coach from the other team went off and really laid into the ref. The ref simply looked at his watch (I would guess there was less than a minute remaining), blew his wistle and called the game.

Afterward the ref came up to me to compliment my boys because they didn't reply to or get involved with all the trash talking that was going on, they simply went about their business (a 2-1 victory). As a coach I'm not sure I have been more proud of a team.

22. jeremys_dad

jeremys_dad Member

NYC Football Club
    Apr 29, 2007
    The Big Easy
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Re: Charge them money and then kick them out

http://www.ajc.com/highschool/content/sports/highschool/stories/2008/04/29/hspenalties_0430.html

GHSA fines Sequoyah HS, punishes boys soccer team
    Program placed on 'severe warning' status after incident vs. SE Whitfield

By JEFF HAWS
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Published on: 04/29/08
    Sequoyah High School has been fined $500 by the Georgia High School Association, and its boys soccer team was placed on "severe warning" status for an incident during a state playoff game at Southeast Whitfield last Tuesday.
    The school has disciplined three Sequoyah athletes who were ejected from the game, and head coach Randy Smith resigned from the head coaching position, citing medical reasons.

GHSA executive director Ralph Swearngin said "severe warning" status means that similar incidents next season will result in severe penalties for the school.
    Cherokee County spokesperson Michael McGowan said there were allegations that Sequoyah players, coaches and fans yelled racial slurs at Southeast Whitfield players and fans, but that the book is closed on the investigation.
    "We did a really thorough review of all accounts," McGowan said. "We've done our diligence. We'll handle these things the same way every time."
    The three ejected Sequoyah players were seniors playing their final game for the school.
    "We had no recourse against the three seniors in the last sport they were ever going to play," Swearngin said. "If the kid's in his last game, what can you do to him? The reality is very little."
    No action was taken by the GHSA against Southeast Whitfield or any of its players or coaches.

23. charlieblanko

charlieblanko Member

Dec 8, 2006
    cal south
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    nawwww!!

so my dd had a friendly last weekend..and the ref got mad cause...
    My dd fouled a girl the girl was on the ground crying..the ref said..
    "This is supposed to be a friendly..and your supposed to be having fun"
    At that time...
    My dd and her teammates started laughing and said to the ref..
    "Look we are laughing...we are having fun!"
    Wich i thought was the cutest(although i doubt the opposing side found it as amusing).
    CB.

24. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    I think trash talking is part of the game in a way....what bothers me thou is...if a player gets caught cussing in a highschool soccer game, he gets carded and has to leave the pitch for a bit...however, when I was a highschool football ref, there is more cussing going on during a football game and NOTHING is done about it. :mad:

25. SoccerLad

SoccerLad New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Trash talking should be saved for Big Soccer boards anyway!