SLU Soccer

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by kami, Aug 2, 2002.

1. kami

kami Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Saint Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ok well a little discussion was started on the UAB thread about SLU soccer and it was "suggested" we start one for SLU.

Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts on the new recruits, insights, or just want to talk about SLU soccer, start typin'.

By the way, for those that don't know, SLU has torn up laclede street from Marchetti apts to compton. this is right behind the stadium, so if you plan on parking there,think again.

2. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Kami wrote in another thread the following,

"Speaking of St. Louis, I was wondering what your thoughts were on this upcoming year. We lost a ton of points (davis and dipsy), strong defensive work (Tappel and Hill), and a great goalie (politis). Jewsbury should step up this year and contribute if he doesn't cut his foot again, Hammes will be back on defense, and the Clemson transfer should be a good goalie. But who's gonna fill in at center mid and up top? Walls seems to always lack something at forward. He did have a brilliant goal against UNC last year, but other than that he doesn't show up often. I know the recruits from Texas all played for Solar 84, one of the top club teams in the nation and the St. Louis boys come from some strong high school tradition, but is anyone going to make an impact? It seems like we didn't get a recruit like a McBride, Filla, Mckeon, or Davis.

Otherwise, I got my season tickets and can't wait for the exhibition against UCLA."

3. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    I responded with this post as follows,

"Saint Louis picked up a ton of new talent the signings are below, the 3 major Saint Louis signings will all start in the midfield most probably. SLU will most likely line-up in a 3-5-2 formation with a lot of off the ball movement and they will be FAST!

the new SLU line-up will look a lot like this,

---------------Martin Hutton

------Cole--------Hammes---------- Pusateri

McKee-----------Kirchoff--Gannon---------Wynn

--------------------Hopson

--------Walls--------------Jewsbury

To answer your questions on whom will replace whom in the line-up the Captain of the team Joe Hammes will anchor the back line coming off his Red-Shirt injury season with the very offensive minded Jason Cole and Andy Pusateri manning the wide overlapping back spots. The midfield will be young but extremely quick with 3 freshmen starters in the Saint Louis kids Wynn, McKee and Kyle Hopson backed up by the 2 defensive midfielders Mike Kirchoff and Nick Gannon. Up top you have a lot of experience and fire power with 2 power forwards whom both have tremendous skill on the ball in Nick Walls a Parade High School All-American and top 25 recruit who is poised for a break out season and All American and Hermann Trophy candidate Jack Jewsbury.

The bench will have a lot of depth although it will be an inexperienced depth with the 3 Dallas Texas Solar club team freshman along with Loren Reinhart and Alberto Platas from Spain and the other new Saint Louis area freshmen kids whom all look to make a contribution.

Eddie Parker F 5-10 155 FR St. Louis, Mo. (Lutheran South)

Cooper McKee MF 5-11 170 FR St. Louis, Mo. (Chaminade)

Gavin Minnis MF 5-9 175 FR Dallas, Texas (Coppell)

Jason Vilmer B 6-0 170 FR St. Louis, Mo.
    (St. Mary's)

Danny Wynn MF 5-10 150 FR St. Louis, Mo. (Chaminade)

David Greathouse GK 6-0 175 FR St. Louis, Mo. (Whitfield)

Kyle Hopson MF 5-9 160 FR St. Louis, Mo. (Oakville)

Ryan Wileman MF 5-10 180 FR Grand Prairie, Texas (Grand Prairie)

Pat Kelly GK 6-0 175 FR St. Louis, Mo.
    (Christian Bros.)

Patrick Garcia MF 5-8 145 FR Dallas, Texas (Naaman Forest)

Andrew Moses MF 5-9 150 FR St. Louis, Mo. (Chaminade)"

4. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Kami then responded thusly,

"Why do you have Pusateri at back? He's played halfback since he's been here and his speed on the ball is great. Cole will keep the other team honest with his outside runs out of the back as you said. Walls...man I don't know. He has done little to back up his high school status thus far. He seems to tire to fast, although he has great speed on the ball. Jewsbury is jewsbury and I hope he has a tremendous season.

Why do you have all the St. louis recruits at midfield? I don't know much about them. And you don't think any Texas recruits will start...why?

Last, you stress speed....I see it with Cole, Pusateri and Walls. Where else is it?"

5. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Which I then responded with the following,

Actually Pusateri has split time between wide marking back and wide midfielder although he played most of last year as the flank right midfielder. I have him in the back mostly because the Bills lost 2 starting backs and Pusateri is a safe choice at that position, he could very well end up as a flank midfielder.

As far as Nick Walls is concerned I expect a big year out of him. Personally I think he is among the most talented of the forwards in the College game currently. Walls is extremely powerful and among the 2 or 3 fastest players on a fast SLU team. Look for Walls to have a breakout season.

I have the 3 "main" Saint Louis "area" recruits as all starters because they are all excellent blue chip players and I believe they will make an immediate impact on the starting line-up. Of course I'm not the coach of the team but SLU has at least 3 holes to fill in the midfield and 1 in the backfield as well as a new keeper. The 3 Saint Louis recruits are all extremely quick on the ball and all possess outstanding technical ball skills and creativity. Dan Wynn has the ability to scorch opponents on the wing and McKee is equally fine on the ball. Hopson was probably the top Saint Louis Area player last year and will most definetely make his mark early on. Now don't get me wrong I am aware of the 3 Texas kids and their fine reputation and I'm sure they will challenge for starting positions but in my opinion the Saint Louis kids will all start. I admit I only know the Texas kids by reputation but I'm very familiar with the local players having seen them play many times. I will not be suprised at all if the Texas players make a big impact.

As far as speed players on the SLU roster they are loaded.

Wynn, McKee, Hopson, Walls, Cole and Pusateri are all speed demons and Jewsbury as a big man is right there with them. Joe Hammes although he doesn't look like he is moving fast is above average in footspeed and has uncanny positioning as well the same with Mike Kirchoff. That leaves Nick Gannon and I'm sure Nick isn't going to win any 100 meter gold medals but he gets above average marks in terms of footspeed.

6. kami

kami Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Saint Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Cool....thanks for the descriptions of the St. Louis trio. I feel a lot better about them after reading your critique.

But I can't agree with your impression of Walls. I agree however that he has all the necessary tools to be one of the best in the game, but while he's shown flashes, it hasn't been consistent. I really hope his game rises a notch to help replace the points we lost from last year.

If we can come out of the first three regular season games (wake, unc, marquette) at no less than 2-1, that would be outstanding. The first regular season home game with SMS should be what it always is: a great game with a ton of atmosphere provided by the 3500+ fans at this annual game.

You mentioned Gannon...he was the one guy I thought would play fullback instead of Pusateri. Gannon seems to be in the same mold of Dave Williams from a few years ago. Nothing super special, but plays damn hard, consistent, and picks it up on defense. But with that, he may be better at a defensive mid, stopper-type position with Kirchoff (I think that's what you had him at).

Anyway, appreciate the info on the st. louis guys.

7. turnaround

turnaround New Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Tom...I know you're very high on the local St. Louis freshmen, but I can't find any info on them. They're not listed on any '83 or '84 Region II pools.

Are they state team players only?

8. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    turnaround, I'm not sure of their ODP involvement. I know Wynn and McKee play Club Soccer for "Scott Gallagher" and Hopson plays for "Busch". I will check out their ODP status. I can tell you that quite a few Saint Louis kids are really turned off by the politics of ODP.

9. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
  10. DownSouth

DownSouth New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    SLU

I am a new SLU fan - just had a personal interest move in.... Please let me know any tidbits about game/tournament attendance, traditions, etc. Looking forward to a great season and meeting other fans. Tom - you seem to be "in the know", any help is appreciated.

11. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Re: SLU

Welcome DownSouth!

The Saint Louis University Team is the most tradition rich College Soccer Program in the United States. The team has qualified for 40 of the 42 NCAA Tournaments which is the most appearances by any school and has won a record 10 NCAA Division 1 Titles. The SLU team plays @ arguably the finest College Soccer Facility in the country Robert Hermann Stadium which has a "World Class" playing surface and SLU historically leads the nation in average per game attendance.

Here is a link to the team Media Guide. I hope you enjoy. http://slubillikens.ocsn.com/sports/m-soccer/spec-rel/091401aaa.html

Are you a SLU student?

12. DownSouth

DownSouth New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Thanks Tom. I am not a student. I have been to the campus and have seen the field. I agree it is one of the most impressive I have seen (I have been to a couple of other top tier school fields, and SLU's is the nicest I've seen). I plan to be there for the 9/13-15 tournament, the C-USA tournament, and hopefully a couple more.

13. kami

kami Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Saint Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I like seeing more people on this board.

The game on 9/13 against SMS will probably be one of the more entertaining games of the season. It's our best in-state rivalry due to the fact that many players from St. Louis go there to play. The game usually attracts 4,000 fans each year.

Otherwise, soccertom mentioned SLU's strong tradition of excellence in soccer which I whole heartedly agree. The only thing that has dogged SLU years is the fact that SLU hasn't won a championship in twenty plus years, maybe approaching thirty now. Last year was one of the best teams SLU had put out there in awhile so it was very disappointing to lose in the quarterfinals to Stanford on a miskick by our goalie. Supposedly the field was in awful shape due to rain.

Anyway, you're gonna love going to the games. As you have already seen, the field is immaculate. The fans are superb. And the product out on the field is as good as it gets in college soccer. Enjoy.

14. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    29 years and counting! :(

15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Re: Re: SLU Soccer

To put this another, more telling, way, SLU hasn't won an NCAA title since Ty Keough started playing there.

Pre-Ty - 10 NCAA titles.

With-and-post-Ty - 0 NCAA titles.

Coincidence? I think not!

16. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Re: Re: Re: SLU Soccer

This almost suggests that Ty jinxed the program in perpetuity.

17. M.T. Nets

M.T. Nets New Member

Jan 31, 2002
    SLU Defense

I saw on another site that Kevin Wickart, formerly of Wake Forest, may attempt to walk on this fall. He would fill a defensive spot. Has anyone else heard about this?

18. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Re: Re: Re: SLU Soccer

Purely coincidental! :)

Ty was as you probably know a 4 time All American while @ SLU.

Among the biggest reasons SLU hasn't won a NCAA Title since 1973 is all of the other top teams keep raiding the Saint Louis area talent. Especially Jerry Yeagley @ Indiana who always has been smart enough to make sure his team is stocked with Saint Louis blue chippers since the early 1970's. Can you imagine if Saint Louis could attract and keep all of their home grown players. We could field a team this year with the likes of,

From IU: Pat Noonan, Mike Ambersley

From SMU: Kevin Hudson, Tom Dolan

From Butler: Nick Pantazi, Chance Ernst

From Creighton U: Mike Tranchilla, David Minges.

Take just those 8 players all of whom have the potential to play @ the MLS level and mix them with the current SLU team and can you say NCAA Title?

19. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Re: SLU Defense

Never heard of the kid. Where did you learn of this?

20. DownSouth

DownSouth New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    I understand that Wickart will be at SLU. Very good defender, and I think a Senior.

21. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Yeah, Wickart's got a real good, uh, nose for the ball... among other things.

22. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Sandon what are you saying?

I haven't heard anything about this kid transferring into the SLU program. I checked out the Wake Forest site and indeed Kevin Wickart played for Wake. Did he sit out last year? His resume looks impressive and if he come to SLU I believe he would offer immediate defensive help.

23. M.T. Nets

M.T. Nets New Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Sandon I think you have been sniffing around a bit....nothing like that ACC information mill. Wickart probably will be a Junior this year due to a red shirt year with an injured leg. Perhaps he will clean up his act now.

24. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Tom,

Wickhart was kicked off the Wake Forest team this past spring, along with all American Aaron Thomas, for drug use. Given the "nose" reference, I'll let you use your imagination as to what I'm talking about.

Thomas turned pro and signed with the D3 Carolina Dynamo and supposedly hopes to play in MLS next year.

Wickhart spent the season playing with the PDL's Boulder Rapids Reserves. I read on a thread on the USL board he was going to play at SLU this fall as a walk-on.

25. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Re: Re: Re: Re: SLU Soccer

Tom,
    Before you start posting the lyrics to the Billiken fight song, how is it that SLU can't keep any of these players right out of it's own back yard, given it's storied history:especially losing them to other private schools like SMU, Butler and Creighton?