SLU - Eastern Illinois [R]

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by kami, Oct 3, 2002.

1. kami

kami Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Saint Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    http://slubillikens.ocsn.com/sports/m-soccer/recaps/100202aaa.html

Obviously not a hard opponent for SLU, but EI gave them a a very physical game (6 yellows I think) and tested the defense a couple of times.

Notes:
    Jason Cole - I have never seen anyone make a transition from outside back to forward with as much ease as Cole. He is killing the opponents defense. He's not scared to muck it up with anyone and he's a monster to track down when he's on the dribble. So far he has 6 goals and 2 assists while playing up top in 6 straight games.

Nick Gannon - Man is this guy coming into his own at center back or what? I was a little worried about SLU defense after Sartori and Tappel left and especially after the first three games, but Gannon has pulled the defense together. Four shutouts in a row. Big test this weekend with Furman though.

Kevin Wickart - This guy sure loves the long ball and can deliver it with nice precision.

Cooper McKee - Did he get hurt at last night's game? I didn't see anything happen but he didn't play the whole second half. I like this kid though. Very tough to get off the ball.

Nothing else that stands out. I can't wait for this Furman game. Can anyone give me a breakdown of Furman's game and key players?

2. Seems like Jason Thompson could have saved a few of his goals from earlier this week to use in this game.

3. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    No matter what, sometimes a great player just can't help an average team. EIU is no doubt a better team with him, but not in the same league as SLU.

4. Emile

Emile Member

Oct 24, 2001
    dead in a ditch
    Totally unrelated to this thread, but what in the world is happening at Illinois-Chicago?

First they give up 6 to EIU's well-known star player, and then get lit up for 4 by the NCAA D1 leading scorer, Swedish sophomore Antou Jallow of UWM.

It seems there is some healthy denial going on about what certain members of this UIC defense are capable of.

5. The wheels appear to have fallen off at "Harvard On Halsted" the last 4 weeks, perhaps in sympathy with the other Chicago footy side. The Flames carried a 1-0 lead into the second half against New Mexico on Sept.8th. Since then, aside from a 3-0 win against Loyola - Chicago, they've surrendered 25 goals in last approximately 7 matches against some middling at best competition. After starting the season with two wins and a tough loss at Bradley on an 89th minute goal, they've gone one win, one draw, one OT loss and four losses. The personnel seems to be the same on defense, but the keepers are stopping shots at the same rate as goals given up. Fifteen shots on goal at E. Illinois. Eight shots on goal last night against Wisc.-Milw.
    DISCLAIMER: Through marriage, I'm a member of the UIC Alumni Association. Geez louise!

6. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    I was at the match last night and SLU is indeed on a roll.

McKee rolled his ankle and suffered a mild sprain. I'm certain with a "RICE" (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) program he should be fine for the Furman match on Saturday.

This SLU team is coming together very nicely and the early season reconfiguration of the line-up is working out incredibly well. Jason Cole is indeed terrorizing defenses with his speed and strength and his fearless approach to taking on defenders 1 v 1. Even though the opposing team is aware of him they are powerless to shut him down. Cole had 6 shots in the match last night and 6 shots in the previous match vs the University of Louiville. I'm amazed at the pure sprinting speed that Cole posesses and I wouldn't be suprised if he was the fastest player in NCAA Division 1 soccer. :eek: The kid has a powerful stride and once he gets going he becomes very scary for defenders that have to try and handle him.

Nick Walls continues to run circles around defenders and if he focuses his talents SLU will become an offensive monster before too long.

The SLU defense has completely locked down their defensive end and is not allowing opposing offenses even a sniff at goal.

Furman will be a good test for the Bills but I suspect SLU will handle the 10th ranked Furman team without any problems. Of course Furman is a very talented but young team and Furman will be gunnning to knock off the big bad Bills and solidify their lofty ranking. Even though # 10 ranked Furman is currently ranked much higher than Saint Louis I have got to believe SLU is still a big favorite to win this important seeding match for the NCAA's.

SLU has outscored their last 4 opponents 11-0 and has outshot them 66 to 18 and have won 6 straight games.

7. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Fully recognizing Thompson is a great player for Eastern Illinois and is clearly that teams best player, it was interesting to see SLU's team defense completely shut him down as he never got the ball inside the SLU box and SLU didn't allow him any shots. Thompson was clearly frustrated all night long. As the match went on Jason was needing to drop back further and further into his own midfield and even to the backline in order to get the ball. Thompson is strong on the ball and really quick with some excellent foot skills. I think he may have a shot at a Pro career.

I wish I could see Thompson in a SLU uniform.

8. turnaround

turnaround New Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Tom...nice to see the Bills are winning. Is Jewsbury now playing the A-Mid position? Also, is Wickart playing outside back or center back?

But...don't take Furman lightly. They have lots of weapons.

9. kami

kami Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Saint Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sorry tom but gonna jump in here and answer the question. Lineup currently is:

Cole McKee
    Wynn Jewsbury Walls
    Kirchoff Hammes
    Pusateri Gannon Wickart
    Hutton

They use Wickart a lot for long ball out of the back to either forward, but usually opposite field.

10. turnaround

turnaround New Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Thanks Kami. So they're playing a 3-5-2 with two d-mids, is that right?

11. kami

kami Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Saint Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yea I believe so. Correct me if I'm wrong tom , but they started out the year with a flat four in the back and it wasn't working. Too many holes, too many people swarming on one guy, poor communication, etc.
    At the SMS game, they changed the lineup and Cole was moved up and they went to a 3-5-2. Like I said before, Gannon is doing one hell of a job back there. Hell all three ar doing a hell of a job. Pusateri had his worst game on Wednesday against EI, but overall he's looked good.

12. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Yes Jewsbury is playing the Attacking-Mid position. Jackie is playing the A-Mid position with a very conservative approach in that he rarely is looking to break any defenders down off the dribble and he seems to me to be playing far to many balls sideways or backwards in an effort to maintain possession even though he has time and space to turn and attack. Now please don't get me wrong because Jackie is doing a fine job but personally I would like to see a whole lot more attacking out of Jackie as he has the skills but seems to be playing it safe everytime. When Jewsbury was a Freshman the kid was playing free and easy with absolutely no qualms about taking people on all the time. In his first SLU game in front of 6500 fans at the rollout of SLU's Hermann Stadium against Indiana U Jewsbury toyed with Nick Garcia and Indiana and scored both goals in a 2-1 SLU victory. That is the Jackie I want to see more of.

Wickart is playing as an attacking wingback and is very actively involved in the SLU build-up. I like Wickart a lot as he has a nice skills set with his feet and real strong long range passing ability although he does hit more than just a few stinker passes as well. Defensively Wickart is excellent and he moves real well for a big guy and of course is strong in the air.

SLU is playing a 5 man midfield with Wynn and Walls on the wide flanks and Jewsbury at the top of the triangle with Hammes and Kirchoff as the defensive midfielders. Both Hammes and Kirchoff step up quite often into the attack so really the 3 of them Jewsbury, Hammes, and Kirchoff all share the attacking and defensive responsibilities. These 3 are a big SLU strength and they have really solidified the SLU midfield and possession game. Kirchoff in particular is an unsung hero and often gets overlooked in the recognition department but he is an outstanding player. All 3 of these guys are big and strong being in the 6' 1" and 180 lb range and they all play with quite a bit of bite to their game. Wynn and Walls are both speed burners out wide especially Walls who is dynamic on the dribble as he runs around through and past defenders seemingly at will. Walls is a powerful runner. Wynn has been struggling somewhat and has been the least effective SLU starter for the last 6 games. Wynn has great technical skill but I think he is having a little trouble with the speed of play and the physical challenges he is getting.

I wouldn't dream of taking Furman lightly and I recognize they are among the most talented teams the Bills will face all season. For SLU to beat them they will have to play as they have been which lately has been at a very high level.

13. kami

kami Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Saint Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Tom, gotta take issue with Walls. Yes he is a great runner and can outstride anyone except Cole. But, it seems to me that he tries to take advantage of that powerful speed and soft touch too much. Now I know you're saying how can someone be too speedy? What I mean is that I don't think Walls has the mentality to be an outside mid. Walls take one too many steps with the ball and doesn't play it often enough when he should. He misses opportunities for clear crosses because he likes to go one on one. He is very effective at maintaining the ball in tight situations, but as a outside mid who should be delivering the ball to Cole or McKee, he doesn't do it. And just to back up my point, Walls has ZERO assists this year and we have scored 16 goals in the past 6 games. Wickart has 4 assists. I know you like Walls and I agree he has all the tools necessary to be a tremendous player, but so far his career at SLU has been below what I believe people expected.

Otherise, if Furman believes that SLU just won six easier games since it 0-2-1 start, then they have something coming. Go Bills!

14. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    You are correct Kami, Nick Walls does at times hold onto the ball to long. That is a common problem for any player whom is a skillful dribbler.

As far as Walls having zero assists this year a huge part of that is his teamates failing to finish some of the excellent croses that Walls has delivered. Walls has set up Cole, Jewsbury and McKee many times this year with nothing to show far it in the assist column. Make no mistake Walls has delivered numerous quality balls especilly to Cole and McKee that those 2 guys have failed to finish on. As a matter of fact against UNC Charlotte Walls beat the defenders to the goal line and laid a ball diagonally right onto McKee's foot and McKee tried to dance around a defender instead of one touching the ball into the net and this play resulted in an own goal. With just some decent finishing Walls would have at least 5 or 6 assists this season.

I guess we disagree on this issue but I'm right and you are wrong! ;)

15. kami

kami Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Saint Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    cool...but zero assists is still zero assists. By the way, do you sit on the team side bleachers or the new ones on the other side? Only ask because I always sit in the smaller ones and love it over there. Close to the field, you can hear everything....man what a great place for soccer.

16. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he best off turning pro after this year to accelerate his level? He did well on that PDL team where he was with other elite guys, didn't he?

17. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    It's probably a toss-up. He won't gain much more by staying. If goes into the MLS draft and is aquired, he'd most likely be a developmental player. Not much financial inducement there.
    If he's serious about the U23's and the olympics, then he needs to enter the draft for sure.

18. king eric

king eric New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    SOCON
    Looking forward to a good match Saturday. SLU should test Furman as well as any team so far this season--but two things can be predicted: There will be no pushovers, and there will be goals. Just who comes out on top will be interesting.

I can't make the game, so i hope you gents will provide plenty of post-match commentary!

King Eric