Slow chat.

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by RutgerB, Sep 11, 2003.

1. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Isn't it about 5 am in The Netherlands right now? What are you guys doing awake?

2. White-green Pride

FC Groningen
    Netherlands
    Feb 23, 2001
    Groningen, Nederland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yep, it is!

That's liberal bar policy (no fixed closing time)in Groningen for ya!

Being off tomorrow also helps......and......i'm waiting for a 'tosti' so I'm keeping myself busy until it's done......

3. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are in the Netherlands and life is good.

Damn I'm hungry.

4. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    Isn't it still? I thought the official name of the country was "Koninkrijk der Nederlanden?"

...and look I've just found a webpage ...*fixing spelling above*... ok.

http://www.netherlands-embassy.org/

5. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I'm sick, can't sleep.

BTW I like Seinfeld. Better than his own shows. Worst stand up I've ever seen.

6. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was sick last night. Woke up 3 times, went back to sleep every time.

I want to see Seinfeld's stand up act.

I'm still hungry.

7. White-green Pride

FC Groningen
    Netherlands
    Feb 23, 2001
    Groningen, Nederland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Uhmmm...that's also in my post, maybe you should read it entirely :D

Anyway, the whole point is: 'Nederland' is what we use in everyday language because we're a centalized state now (since 1816)
    Even though the official name is 'Koninkrijk der Nederlanden'

8. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    I read your post. You said it's not in use any more. My point is that it is in use, it's the official name.

9. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    oh sh!t, I'm the a**hole.

sorry.

I have an excuse: I got hit in the face with the ball tonight playing indoor. My head still hurts.

10. RutgerB

RutgerB New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    occupied Dietsland
    I know a little of lot :) So Im taking Spanish classes again, but lucky it looks a lot like Italian.

Name History a bit more detailed:
    In 1795 the 'revolutionary' French invaded the Netherlands. The old Republic (of the seven states) was reformed on French model by its new masters and was named “Bataafsche Republiek”, the tribe of the Batavians were believed to be the ancestors of the Dutch people, not if you aks me.. but ok.

From 1806 until 1810, the Netherlands was ruled as a kingdom, with Napoleon’s brother Louis Napoleon as king. It was called "Kingdom Holland". This is as you should know a misleading name, because Holland was only one of the seven provinces.

From 1810 until 1813, the 'Kingdom' was part of the French Empire, ruled directly Napoleon. Once Napoleon had lost control of Germany, it didnt took long before they were rapidly forced out.

From 1813 until 1815, the country then called “de Verenigde Nederlanden” (the United Netherlands) was ruled by prince William I, son of the last 'stadhouder' prince William V.

In 1815, the Congress of Vienna decided that the Southern Netherlands would be rejoined to the country, and that prince William I would be elevated to the status of king now that his territory had been almost doubled. The country was then called “Verenigd Koninkrijk der Nederlanden” (United Kingdom of the Netherlands).
    This monachry was then named in french as "Roi des Belges" because "Roi des gens de Pays-Bas" was to hard for them.

In 1830, the Southern Netherlands revolted against king William I, and in 1831 they proclaimed their independence and Belgium was born. This independence was recognized by the Dutch government in 1839. From then on the country was officially not "United" anymore, and was simply called “Kingdom of the Netherlands".

The Kingdom of the Netherlands remained the official name.

But why that bit about "Roi des Belges" ?
    Well two reasons first beeing a simple explenation as to why Belgium is Beglium, the second one beeing to glorfy the Frisians.

The term Belgen orginates from Ceasars book "Bello Gallico" (not the Asterix and Obelix) Ceasar wrote that the Belgiums were the bravest of all, but who were these Belgiums? As you know the country Belgiums only is around for about 150 years.

The discription of their habitate gives a beter perspective. Ceasar wrote 'Belgium' starts at the borders of Gallia, advances to the lower areas (the outloop? of the Rijn), to advances further up north.. so who were those Belgiums?
    Which tribe did Ceasar call Bello.. could it the Frisians... bravest of all tribes.

:p

11. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    and to add to that, the Romans called the North Sea, "Mare Frisia."

12. RutgerB

RutgerB New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    occupied Dietsland
    Well it looks like bigsoccer.com is up again.
    Was it also down for the paying members, or just for the cheap riders?

13. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Yeah,
    For a while I thought it was The Big Crash part II.
    I too couldn't get in for a long time.

14. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I missed you guys.

:D

15. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    You know Italian as well? Very impressive.

16. RutgerB

RutgerB New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    occupied Dietsland
    I've lived and worked there so it wasnt really hard to learn Itallian.

On another note, remember I said I was reading up about the sumerians?
    Well Im going to confess why Im doing that, Im writing a paper about 'Arians' myth and truth, going from the inner earth to the north pole, to Sumeria, to Germany..to the greek and romans, to a Monk in Viena, to Hitler and Himmler, to Antarica.

Oh yes I know Im sick :p

17. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you call someone who speaks 3 languages?

Tri-lingual

What do you call someone who speaks 2 languages?

Bi-lingual?

What do you call someone who speaks 1 language?

American.

:D

---However most of us know Spanish now.

18. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Very interesting stuff you're working on there.

Which reminds me...

Kills me to see how the Antiquities Museum in Baghdad has been ripped apart.

19. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    That descitption fits me perfectly ;)

20. RutgerB

RutgerB New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    occupied Dietsland
    yeah poor museum, lucky most of the museum pieces have returned.

Which reminds me: I used the watch the Iraqi war on Iraqi television and CNN. which gave some conflicting perspectives :p
    I still have 11 hours of Saddam controlled television on tape, good shows doh.

There was either news or they were broadcasting signing and praising of Saddam oh and ofcourse military parades.

Just a quick note the Iraqi werent the only one twisting the truth. I've seen more destroyed tanks and dead Americans soldairs on one day of Iraqi television then I saw on CNN for the whole war.

21. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Oh, believe me Rutger.

I am probably the one on BS with the strongest sentiment towards the Amrican gov't when it comes to their views on foreign policy.

Millions of american have been mentally diluted into thinking that the war was purposeful, that the there is only one bad dictator worth fighting against,(and that's Saddam) and that we are truly the regime of purposefulness into wanting to liberate Iraq for the 'goodwill' of the Iraqi people.

The media is one powerful weapon....

While Tony Blair & John Howard are constantly dodging critics about how the 'cause' of the war had been sexed up, here in the 'States you hear almost nothing, as if there is a common understanding among the communications media not to broadcast such 'negative' stories. Bad for the morale I guess...

22. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    hmmm... discussing politics in this forum is a poor idea. I'd prefer we had a love-in here and piss each other off in the politics forum.

23. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    No heated discussions here,
    just your typical, casual, calm 4-o'clock tea n' biscuit conversation [​IMG]

24. RutgerB

RutgerB New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    occupied Dietsland
    Frieslander once again gives a perfect asisict.

Tommorow is Friesland vs Groningen
    So Green-grun-sissie, you are going down tomorrow, I'll be watching the defeat, the humolation of your Grun from the stands.

not one, not two, not three, not four but five nil!

25. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    I don't drink tea, I don't eat biscuits or crumpets or scones or anything like that and when I discuss politics it's always heated.