Slovenia vs. Russia playoff incidents [R]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Kebbie Gazauzkas, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Kebbie Gazauzkas

FC Krasnodar
    Bulgaria
    Mar 29, 2007
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Bulgaria
    About the situation, which led to Kerzhakov's red card - do you think that the referee crew made the correct decision in the circumstances? At first I thought that it was a clear red card for the Russian forward (I guess he was ejected for "violent conduct" rather than for "dangerous foul play"), but after looking at it more closely, I am no longer sure whether it was an attempt to kick the goalkeeper or challenge for the ball. Slovenia's goalie was also cautioned in the ensuing fracas and another Russian player, Zhirkov, was sent off in the dying moments of the game.

Here is the video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO-WF1aKFY4&feature=related"]YouTube- ???????? ????????? / Kerzhakov sent off[/ame]

2. LiquidYogi

LiquidYogi Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    It's a tough call and I'm honestly not sure how I feel about it. However from the refs point of view if he believed that the player was kicking out at the keeper who rightfully had to ball, and with force then no doubt it should be a red card. I'm pretty sure the fact that it was the goal keeper and the surrounding of the players and massive protestations had an effect on the Ref. I know when two teams get together in such a way it's a very tense moment for everyone.

3. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    I liked the two white players fighting each other :cool:

Just after the red is displayed, one of the white players goes by waving "bye bye" and his team mate pushes him, probably saying "knock it off", then they get in a pushing match.

4. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    That was humorous.

As to the play.

I see a foul, but nothing cautionable, IMHO.
    Definitely not red.

It is very difficult to see, but Kerzhakov and the keeper both go down.
    The keeper scoops the ball, but then very quickly, the ball pops out.
    Kerzhakov kicks the ball just as the keeper places his hand on it.

[​IMG]

Sure, the ball is between the keeper's hand and the ground so technically there is possession.
    So there is a foul.

I just do not see anything worthy of any card, especially red.

5. AlextheRef

AlextheRef Member

Jun 29, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see two red cards IMO.

You see the goalkeeper save the ball but it looks like he almost loses posession. That is when the russian player stabs at it, misses, and cleats the keeper in the thigh. The keeper swipes at the player (retaliation yellow card) and the player goes down holding his head. I do not think contact is made there. The defender #5 touches the player but it is not in any retalitory manner so I would not give a card for being the third-man-in. When the crowd does form around the Russian attacker the goalkeeper pushes through players and possibly slaps the Russian on the ground. Either way it is contact above the shoulder.

Goalkeeper and Striker should be sent off from what I can see at least.

6. Kebbie Gazauzkas

FC Krasnodar
    Bulgaria
    Mar 29, 2007
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Bulgaria
    Thanks for the responses!

It's indeed not easy to gauge intent and Russia could definitely claim that they were hard done by, especially given that the referee appeared affected by the protestations. The Slovenia players certainly overreacted to an extent.
    Btw, it's interesting that the total of Russian internationals who have been dismissed by Terje Hauge is now up to 4 (the others being Ovchinnikov in a Euro 2004 game against Portugal and Arshavin in a Euro 2008 qualifier against Andorra).

7. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    I thought it was a ridiculous red if it was for VC.

Depending on how much contact there was on the initial slide into the goalkeeper, there is a possibility for a reasonablea case for a SFP red card, but this seems unlikely.

Kershakov did not miss the ball while it was on the ground in the possession of the goalkeeper Handanovic. The keeper only had one hand on the ball, and it was moving away from him. The ball was exposed. It certainly doesn't seem unreasonable that Kershakov took a stab at it. His follow through made contact with the goalkeeper, but certainly not enough for a red card IMO.

Slovenia #5 was the player who pushed Kershakov in the head. For me, this should be a caution, not a send-off. But of course, Slovenia #5 did cross the line drawn in the sand by FIFA, so I suppose he is supposed to be sent-off.

I am not sure if the goalkeeper made contact with #16 while he was on the ground. He did appear to go in to taunt him a bit. Maybe he was upset that he was covering his head, although this was a reaction to the push by #5, not by anything Handanovic did. His yellow card seemed very dubious to me.

8. Kebbie Gazauzkas

FC Krasnodar
    Bulgaria
    Mar 29, 2007
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Bulgaria

Well put, a tad unfortunate for Kerzhakov and the Russians.

I was reminded of this game (watch from 7:30):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyvhHnuVBFY"]YouTube- Oman Vs Japan [2010 FIFA WC Qualifying 3rd Round] [2/2][/ame]

There is no doubt that the Japanese player was guilty of violent conduct, but a Bahraini footballer was also sent off for sparking a melee, so the status quo was maintained after the incident in question.

I think that Handanovic tries to retaliate against Kerzhakov (or possibly attempts to indicate to the ref that the forward was the culprit) and he has to be restrained by his teammates. I would guess that referees would be very reluctant to eject a goalkeeper in such a situation and a caution seems reasonable in the circumstances (though I could certainly see a case for a dismissal, as stated by @AlextheRef).

Number #4 from Slovenia (Suler) should have been booked for taunting an opponent.