Slovenia match

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by dspence2311, Dec 7, 2023.

1. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    What are the USMNT objectives for the Slovenia match? It’s not a FIFA window. Is the match just a way of keeping tabs on potential and second tier USMNT players out of MLS? Is it about keeping those few possible first teamers in shape during the off-season?

I wonder if Gregg will skew young with that roster, hoping to challenge the MLSers whose careers are still on an upward trajectory?

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The objective is to just take a look at some MLS dudes as we usually do that time of year.

tomásbernal repped this.
  3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The objective is the same as the January camp has been for 20 years.

Evaluate the domestic pool (and the few players available from elsewhere) and provide opportunities to test them in a game. And we can run down a big, long list of core USMNTers that got their first taste of the USMNT at January camp.

It usually skews young, except in World Cup years. In 2022 we took a lot of the fringe veterans competing for roster spots. It was a roster of Lletget, Yueill, Long, Arriola, Zardes, etc. types. That was a special circumstance.

So one expects this roster to skew young with a couple of veteran leaders. Somebody like Zimmerman.

I does kind of depend on whether we have a separate pre-Olympics U23 camp at the same time. The U20s..............at SOME POINT..........need to actually get together. Under Klinsmann, January camp did morph into a U23 camp one year as we were giving guys work prior to the qualifying tournament.

Chesco United repped this.
  4. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Call up players to participate in a soccer match and see how it goes.

Chesco United repped this.
  5. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Objective??? I doubt there is any real "objective" beyond just making some money. While it "might' expose one or two players that otherwise would go unnoticed the hard truth is that, except for maybe one very young player, there is nobody in MLS that really needs a 'look." What they need is some play in a league and/or with a team that actually can develop beyond CONCACAF level.
    By "CONCACAF level" I mean just good enough to stay awake for an entire match and even that might be over estimating CONCACAF.

The non-FIFA windows camps are really nothing more than just a way for people involved in USMNT selection etc. to appear active when nothing is really happening.

6. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    are they really going to have a jan camp and call in these guys and only have 1 match???

have at least 2....otherwise, what are you really doing?

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I would say the game itself is actually less important than the month the staff works with and gets to know the players. Particularly the younger guys. So you bring Jalen Neal into January camp in 2023 so you feel comfortable using him in the Gold Cup later in the year. That's the purpose of January camp. The match itself is sorta just the icing on the cake. Not the substance.

January camp is, and always has been, a money loser for the USSF. They have to pay the players to be there full-time. In the past, many players really counted on the added income to supplement their paltry MLS salaries.

I don't know why anyone would be against January camp. People whine and whine and whine about young players X,Y, and Z not getting a USMNT chance. Then when you have a camp specifically designed to give those players a chance, people bitch about it.

What on Earth is wrong with more players getting a look in front of the USMNT staff? What exactly is the problem? If you identify ONE player to carry forward, then it was a worthwhile effort.

This is the one time of year a USMNT coach can have an extended look at whomever the hell he wants. Its a time to cast a wide net. A time to say "Hey, I'm curious about this Bernard Kamungo guy. Let's check him out." And if the guy doesn't do well at the camp, and doesn't look up to the standard of the USMNT................THAT'S THE POINT!

Bajoro, GalaxyBowl, superdave and 5 others repped this.
  8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yup.
    Simply put it is to take a closer look at the players that would not be given a chance in training or in games during FIFA match days.

9. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    It's already reported that it's going to be more of a U23 camp.

The Clientele repped this.
  10. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont trust the staff to assess the players in camp

let the guys show it on the field

youre right though.....the games dont matter to the staff....

my point is if youre going to do all that ....dont just have 1 measly game.....do at least 2, minimum

11. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 Identify a back up keeper to Turner. Chris Brady, Patrick Schulte, Drake Callender, and Roman Celentano have an opportunity to make a case. Let it be known that this position is wide open!

#2 Expose our u23 future prospects to the senior level. McGlynn, Luna, Gutierrez, McGuire, etc. what a great opportunity.

#3 If still available, give John Tolkin ans/or DeJuan Jones a chance to be our back up left back. Even still, a good opportunity for Wiley.

#4 Give Zimmerman, and maybe Sands or Miazga, a chance to work primarily with the Olympic team. We’ll need over age players for center back for that tournament.

#5 Maybe try to lock in some dual nationals. Noel Buck? Cremaschi? Luna? Etc. All duals. The more they play with the senior team, the more love they’ll feel.

The Clientele and gogorath repped this.
  12. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Add in prep the U23s for the Olympics and that seems about right.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  13. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    'Keepers are the one position where in match evaluation is mostly unneeded and often counter productive. There are simply not enough reps to evaluate a 'keeper in a match unless they are playing on a team that allows LOTS of play in their own box and, mostly, the USMNT is not that bad.. 'Keepers are best evaluated in practices.
    Of course 'keepers have some duties that can be evaluated in matches but, mostly, those "duties," like keeping the defense organized, are best taught and evaluated in scrimmages.

Remember the common description of a 'keeper's duties, "Long periods of boredom followed by brief moments of total panic." ;)

14. RossD

RossD Member+

Aug 17, 2013
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Guys will bitch this game is stupid and a waste of time. But then they'll still watch it.

15. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per the MLS Cup Sideline reporter, Tillman, Schulte, and Aiden Morris will be there

Chesco United, butters59 and gogorath repped this.
  16. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Said they were on "provisional roster" doesn't mean much.

But those 3 would make sense.

Chesco United and Sebsasour repped this.
  17. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah my mistake

18. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i wish Nagbe was back in the USMNT

just wins

has to be the best american in MLS, too

The Clientele repped this.
  19. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s a talented player. I’ve always enjoyed watching him. It’s too bad we don’t see him on the National team. I would like to see him play alongside our current midfield. He’d offer a change of style that would be tactically helpful.

adam tash repped this.
  20. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know why we couldn't get a better opponent. Colombia's domestic side was a nice test last time. Look at the better South American country's domestic sides or Canada.

Mexico themselves got Colombia for Dec. This can't be our only game, can it?

What's the objective? We need to keep cultivating the pool and have domestic supplements on the A roster. You think people would learn that yet again from the last few camps, but guess not.

The roster will be in flux because of the impending transfers. In lieu of removals, here's who I'd like to see:

CF: Vazquez, McGuire, White
    W: Luna, Boyd, Gioacchini, JMo
    10: Ferreira, Gutierrez
    8: Morris, Tillman, Benja
    6: Sands, Atencio
    LB: Tolkin, Wiley
    RB: Lennon, Davis
    CB: Zimm, Neal, Ragen, Craig
    GK: Callender, Schulte, Celentano

21. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to an account on Reddit who's leaked scheduling stuff before (he announced this game a few days before The USSF did) we were gonna play Chile too, but it fell through

You can choose to believe that or not

22. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's only so many times they can play that card, huh.

They still have a month and a half. Colombia has nobody on the schedule. Pretty hard to believe they could get nobody better than Slovenia's domestic side in that time.

It strikes me as a choice for a very winnable match. The feelings aren't so positive coming out of last camp.

23. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt Colombia and their players are interested in doing 2 separate camps during their short off-season, and playing in mid-late January runs right up against the start of their season, so playing Mexico in December was more practical

But by all means The USSF can reach out.

The idea of intentionally picking an easier game to cheer fans up is absolutely silly. We're playing for a trophy in March and a Copa America right after. Those will determine the mood of the fanbase and not a hybrid B team/U23 result in a non FIFA date friendly.

Also The US has played other Balkan Nations in these games and they're not exactly roll overs. I wouldn't expect this one to be much differen

These games are almost always a mess, and I imagine the bulk of the evaluation is happening during the actual camp

superdave repped this.
  24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yeah, Slovenia won't be a cupcake.
    A good test for the caliber of players we'll have at this camp.

They're hard to judge right now because they've only been playing Euro qualifying in 2023. Finished with an identical record to Denmark in the qualifying group. They qualified for Euro 2024, so surely the Eurosnobs should be out in full force determining this is a good opponent. They'll be evaluating players prior to Euro squad selection.

25. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Revenge for 2010?