Slovakia v Ireland - In/Postmatch Thread (R)

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by pmannion, Sep 8, 2007.

1. MicFW

MicFW Member

Jun 25, 2005
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    :confused:
    Provided you won't lose in Prague, why give up hope? Have a look at the upcoming fictures, not all is lost just yet. The Czechs are in awful form as well and still have to play Germany (in Germany) and against Slovakia (at home). It's not unreasonable to assume that the Slovaks will be highly motivated to beat their former fellow countrymen.

2. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It reminded me of this game (which costed you the qualification), too. I fear that these 2 given away points will cost you another qualification in the end. :(

Somehow your team lacks the winner mentality...

3. Charleysurf

Charleysurf Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Unless Staunton gets a brain in the next few days and realises what his best team is, then it's hard to see us getting a result.

The reality is that we must beat the Czechs now. With players like Keane and Doyle on the pitch, magical things can happen. But I can't help but feel we blew our chances last night. Then again, maybe I'll look at the teamsheet on Wednesday and my hopes will be renewed.

4. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just keep thinking of the magic 4:0 win in Denmark ... then all should be possible in Prague.

A lot might also depend on how your guys will cope with this last-minute shock from Bratislava.

5. Bucky-O'Hare

Bucky-O'Hare Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Ireland
    Club:
    Derry City
    We're Irish.

We do sporting failure in a dramatic fashion. Its no ones fault. Its just our boring destiny.

6. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My Celtic friends Jimmie from Dagenham and Kieran from Cork told me exactly the same. ;)

How MicFW mentioned above, just keep the faith now and try to make use of your last chance on Wednesday. The Czechs aren't as strong as some years ago (Germany outplayed them in Prague) ... and apparently have to replace Jan Koller.

Good luck.

7. RonnieWhelan

RonnieWhelan New Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Absolutely Shambolic. I've seen better football in the park on a sunday morning. No gameplan, no composure on the ball, no passing, no threat up front absolutely nothing to be proud of. This was Slovakia think about that, a european side so poor that more Irish turned up to watch them play in Bratislava. Staunton will never and has never been the right man for this job, he's clueless. Get rid and bring in someone who at least has some experience. David O'Leary???

8. RonnieWhelan

RonnieWhelan New Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Show me a manager to be proud of????

9. Bucky-O'Hare

Bucky-O'Hare Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Ireland
    Club:
    Derry City
    I said supportive, not proud of. Theres a difference. Come on lads, you's are starting to sound like a bunch of english tabloid reading cry babies! Stan is a legend of Irish football and we should get behind him at least until the end of the campaign!

10. Ballymac

Ballymac New Member

Sep 10, 2007
    We were awful. How on earth can we still play dinosaurs like Kilbane and carsley from the bad old McCarthy days I'll never know. Last time Kilbane put a decent cross into the box was back in 2001. the same game Carsley last got his foot on the ball.

Stan's not the man. Never was...

11. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    You do mean besides 2 nights ago, right (not to mention his other 2 goals in qualifying) :rolleyes:
    I agree

12. Ballymac

Ballymac New Member

Sep 10, 2007

Kilbane never put any decent ball in their obw on saturday. He's a waste of space in footballing terms. loads of effort with no gain for himself or the team.

Scandalous when you consider Hunt warming the bench. Just how stupid are Irish managers...?

13. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Ahem, the one that Ireland scored on, it hit off the Slovak Defender's arse and went behind Keane who left it for Ireland to score. Maybe Zinedine meant it to happen that way.

14. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It was still a cross into the box, regardless of deflection

15. Ballymac

Ballymac New Member

Sep 10, 2007
    Thimk of all the goals we could have scored down the years if we had someone who actually could cross a ball properly.

16. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    We've had small strikers for a long time (you mentioned 2001, pretty much the last time Quinn played). Besides Doherty, Doyle is our first striker to be remotely tall since Quinn. Maybe that has something to do with it, because crosses to small guys usually aren't that great anyway. Maybe I'll dig through Saturday's 2nd half and see what I can find (I have only the 2nd half on my computer)

17. Ballymac

Ballymac New Member

Sep 10, 2007
    But no matter what size your strike force is they need quality service up to them from out wide. Kilbane's never provided it even with Quinn in the side. At least with hunt we have someone who can run at defenders at full throttle.

He put the heart crossways on the chelsea defence a few weeks back. But stan obviously doesnt think he's 'worth the risk'...