Slate's five-step program to restore national sanity

Discussion in 'Elections' started by skipshady, Nov 1, 2004.

1. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I thought BigSoccer could use this: The Cure for Election Rage

2. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well...... it's oversimplification of people's thought processes. I think it finds too many similarities that aren't there. It also assumes that there are only a few things to be upset about with this administration. As a humor piece, this is SNL, not the Daily Show. In fact... this is Amy Poehler, not Tina Fey. Know what I mean?

I don't mean to go nuts on this article... I know it's fluff... but there are some issues here.

Nucular vs. Idear.

We're talking ignorant mispronunciation vs. dialect.

War quickly v. War slowly.

Umm... for many of the anti-war democrats, this is actually a sore spot. I would prefer a candidate who did not support the war in Iraq at all.

Maybe some will feel I'm taking this election too seriously... but there is so much she left out!

3. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Well yeah, but I think the point of the excercise is about calming the nerves and not demonizing the opposition, rather than being right. It's saying "they" aren't all that different from "us".

I had a problem with the "not going to war quickly enough" too, I thought, as I don't think Kerry would have hesitated to strike Afghanistan, and I do agree with his voting to authorize the use of force to give the inspectors some teeth. His (and the rest of Congress') mistake was giving the President a frickin' carte blanche. In any case, I'll take preemptive war as the last resort over rushing to war.

4. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Nucular" is pretty much dialect, too.

5. tog

tog Member

Oct 25, 2000
    Seattle
  6. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I absolutely, completely disagree. That's not dialect. It's not regional... it's not a certain group... well... it is a certain group... but not one to which a single dialect can be attributed.

I'll recant what I said. It may not be ignorant. It may be completely intentional to try to sound like a good ol' boy.

But it's not like "aks" vs. "ask." That's dialect.

It's more like "Mischeeveeous." I bet he says that too.

7. Metroweenie

Metroweenie New Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    If we ever have a president who says idear, I will kill him.

It may be dialect, but it is the stupidest ******** I have ever heard. I cannot fathom why anyone would insert an r into a word at random.

Also, I don't think it is entirely dialect. I've heard people from all different places say that, and do the r insertion in other words.

8. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Horrors! Does he also say "comfterble" and "Febyuary?" "Nucular" is the result of a lingustic phenomenon called metathesis, the same phenomenon that produces "aks."

http://www.m-w.com/help/faq/pronounce.htm

9. Metroweenie

Metroweenie New Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    The problem is, it's actually easier to say nuclear than nucular. I say Febyuary because February is annoying, harder to say, and also uncommon. Nucular just doesn't make sense. It's a straightforward word, I just don't understand where nucular ever came from. Same with idear.

PS - I didn't know that Kerry apparently says idear. I was hoping I wouldn't have to follow up on my threat so soon. Might as well get in the death threats while I still can.

10. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably it's because adjectives that end with -ular (circular, particular, regular) are more common in English than those that end with -ear. When people learn new words they tend to try to cram them into familiar forms of word construction.

11. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps it is in some cases, but not in his. I really think the president of the freakin' United States should practice saying the word properly a few times. Of course, if he corrects the pronunciation of the word or decides to learn something new, he might be viewed as a flip-flopper.

Most of us know that the real reason that he says "Nucular" is because it's closer to "Nyuk nyuk nyuk."

Now be quiet. I'm trying to study for the entrance exam to Northwestern's med. school. I am going to become a gynecologist so I can practice some love with women.

12. marylandred

marylandred New Member

Aug 19, 2004
    I beg to differ..."nucular" is, in fact, a word, and an entirely different one than "nuclear". He didn't recognize the difference in his vocabulary. Perhaps phonics is not that effective.

13. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States