SL INterview: REvs GM, Craig Tornberg

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by The General, Dec 2, 2004.

1. The General

The General New Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Palm Beach, FL
    Everyone,

I just compiled the info from our latest interview. This time with Craig Tornberg, GM of the New England Revolution. Craig talks a bit about about last season's up's and down's and gives some info regarding the latest player rumors within the team. Check it out:

http://www.soccerloop.com

Steve Patton

2. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nice interview. I like the "direct evasion" on the Twellman question.

Sachin

3. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Not really a whole lot there to be honest: sounds like the usual "Craig being Craig" to me.

4. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Absolutely nothing in that interview.

5. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he gave a straightforward answer to the Twellman question.

I am beginning to really hate this ReAL caplock spelling.

6. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    From Meriam Webster's online:

resilient: capable of withstanding shock without permanent deformation or rupture.​

Yeah baby! In 2004 Columbus and KC had consistency and effort, DC and San Jose periods of stellar play, the Metros and LA had youth and talent (respectively). But thank goodness no one could hold a candle to Revs in the resiliency department.

Perhaps resiliency can made to play a part in the weighted draft.

7. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yeah the Revs have been tagged with this resilency thing for the past couple of years. Which is all well and good, however when it becomes a trend and doesn't ultimately lead to a Championship what does that really say?

8. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting stuff, but I wish you had asked him about some off-the-field issues as well: the Rev's declining attendance base, the affect of front-office consolidation, etc.

9. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Here's the question and answer:

SL: We have also been hearing that Taylor Twellman may be headed back to Germany, possibly with Hertha Berlin. Can you give us any information?

CT: "T" has a contract with MLS. He is a Revolution player.

Well... anyone can tell you that Twellman is currently under contract to MLS, and yes, he is a Revolution player. The fact of the matter is this: Craig did not address the speculation, which was the original intent of the question. In all my years of knowing Craig, you need a pretty big shoe-horn to pry out any meausre of comment on such things.

I.e., we really had nothing cleared up.

The Magpie

10. Revs007

Revs007 Member

Nov 11, 2000
    Boston

There shouldve been a followup question to this. What are the challenges the team faces? and what do you think needs to be done to make the season more meaningful?

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Really? Losing the three top scores to injury - without replacement - yet still winning one cup final, losing another, and missing a third title on the third tiebreaker - that's pretty resiliant.

The only resilancy I saw out of Foxboro was giving up three leads in the conference final, but managing to fight back to push the game to penalties.

12. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    There's a strange deja vu quality to this post. As is I'd seen this same post somewhere before...

[irony]Would it be sufficient do you think if every BS post began with a symbolic genuflection to the paragon of American soccer are The Wiz?[/irony]

13. gk0002

gk0002 New Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Lee's Summit

I'm not sure why people spell it that way. Sure it's on the logo, but every time they spell it out on the team website or other league page, it's Real.

14. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I dunno. I think there was a lot implied there, if you know the code. On TnT, I think he's saying "well, everyone's available for the right price, but in his case, it had better be a darn good price."

On the regular season thing, it's a little surprising to hear that from the team thaat benefitted the most from MLS's current structure (maybe he's pissed that Nicol insulated himself from a firing on very little merit ;) ). I think it strongly suggests that voices around the league are at least considering making changes.