SL Benfica vs V. Setubal [R] for first place

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Frank Cunha, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    I can see how Setubal got to where they are. They play on the ground passing, use the flanks, and aren't afraid to attack. Why shouldn't this type of play get them up in the standings?

I think Benfica finally played much better with two forwards and were allowed space in Setubal's defensive end of the field. Once Karadas got that first goal from the corner kick, Setubal opened up even more. Finally good to see Sokota put one in. Simao's goal was nice, but, for crying out loud, he needs to get rid of the ball faster when he's inside the box. Either shoot it or find the open man streaking in.

2. metro fan

metro fan Member

Apr 29, 1999
    Union, NJ

Maybe in Ring Hockey!!!

Benfica finnaly played like a team yesterday. The problem is that teh bench is horrible and if a player or 2 are out then that spells trouble. I think they must sign a few players in January,no so much super-stars but players that are able to step in an emergency basis

3. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    Reports out of Portugal are saying that he will be out at least 2 months. As for the game, I haven't seen Benfica play this well since the end of last season. There best game of the year couldn't have come at a better time, facing the team we were tied with. (and to rebound from the German disaster) Good job guys, and Trap, keep playing with 2 strikers.

4. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=reu-gomes&prov=reuters&type=lgns

LISBON, Nov 8 (Reuters) - Benfica striker Nuno Gomes has suffered a sprained left knee but will not need surgery, the Portuguese league leaders said on Monday.

The Portugal international was hurt in a clash with Vitoria Setubal goalkeeper Marco Tabuas during Benfica's 4-0 win on Sunday.

A medical examination confirmed the 28-year-old had suffered a sprained left knee and did not need surgery, Benfica said in a statement. They did not say how long he might be out of action.

The win over Vitoria Setubal gave Benfica a three-point lead at the top of the premier league table. The Lisbon side have 20 points after nine games, ahead of Maritimo, Vitoria Setubal and Boavista who all have 17.

5. metro fan

metro fan Member

Apr 29, 1999
    Union, NJ
    That is some good news for Nuno and Benfica, Now let's hope for a Porto loss

6. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    not going to happen, Sporting goalkeeper and national team Keeper gave the game away, com um grande frango

7. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I guess you wouldn't trade the Cup for the Superliga title and winning the CL? lol Nice try!

8. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    Thank God Nuno Gomes Is Injured, God Is Great :D

9. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    My statement was made based on observations I made of Setubal in that loss to Benfica. Setubal did absolutely nothing until the final 10 minutes of the match. They played nothing like they have so far up until that game. Benfica played well, but Setubal also was not the same team that they have been so far this season.

10. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    About the game, for the guys that still think that Petit isn't good enough, this was the perfect game to change their idea, look at benfica's midfield withoput Petit in our last matches, and now look against Setubal, again Amoreirinha was a craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap as usual, he's sooooooo bad, i can't understand why Pereira is benched :confused: he's miles better tahn this awful player.
    So Trapa are Sokota and Karadas incompatible? :cool: i thought so
    Karadas is simply amazing :)

11. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    my ratings:
    Moreira 3
    Amoreirinha 1
    Dos Santos 4 -->who's Fyssas? :cool:
    Luisão 3
    Argel 3
    Petit 4
    Fernandes 3
    Geovanni 4
    Simão 4
    Karadas 4
    N.Gomes 0
    Subs
    B.Aguiar 2
    Everson 1
    Sokota 3

12. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    That's wrong _DvA_, you never wish injury upon anyone, let alone someone from your own team.

13. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    C'MON, HE'S OUR WORST STRIKER AND TRAPA IS AFFRAID TO RELEGATE HIM TO SUBS BENCH

14. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    It doesn't matter, you can't be happy because he got injured. I wouldn't wish injury on any player. Plus, it's more important for Benfica to have a healthy Nuno Gomes, whether he starts or not.

15. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    The more times I watch the play between Nuno Gomes and Marco Tabuas the more it looks like Marco Tabuas purposely took out Nuno Gomes. That was a careless and dangerous play by Marco Tabuas, he's lucky the referee didn't call it a penalty and give him a red card.

16. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    as i said it isn't penalty cause' Nuno Gomes didn't broke his leg

17. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    i don't care, i don't like him, he's making us lose games

18. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    It doesn't matter if you don't like him, you don't wish an injury on him or anyone else you don't like. Also, Nuno Gomes doesn't play by himself, the 11 players on the field for Benfica are the reason they win or lose, not just 1.

19. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    so why benfica plays better with Karadas and without gomes? :confused:

20. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    I don't understand what you're trying to say. The Cup is an accomplishment in Portugal. The Superliga title is way more important that's true. But, the domestic Cup is still a major trophy.

Besides, I doubt you were watching Porto lose last year to Benfica no less and were happy that Benfica won. And, I remember Porto fans attacking Benficistas after the game on the news and vice versa. So, I think it's safe to say that the Cup is still relevant.

No treble. Shame.

21. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Because Karadas is in better form right now, but no reason to count out Nuno Gomes, he is very important for Benfica, and Benfica needs him healthy.

22. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I agree completely. A lot of people knock Gomes but with the amount of injuries he's had...i'm sure that he's rarely playing at 100%. Benfica's attack looks pretty good even without him though.