Sky Blue vs Red Stars (Again)

Discussion in 'Chicago Red Stars' started by galsoccer907, Apr 20, 2010.

1. galsoccer907

galsoccer907 New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Galveston
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    It is so frustrating to have the same result week after week. Obviously, something's gotta give. And as much as we're all putting on Rapinoe, I'm not sure how much better we'll be when she's back in. I'm hoping that she's going to change the game once she's fit, but I'm not holding my breath.

I also agree that we aren't deep enough in the forward position. Players who are actually playing forward: Cristiane, Asllani, Masar. McDonald was in for like four minutes one game, and didn't even dress for the last game. I think she could be a target forward, but we actually have to see her play first. We need a Cheney or a Wambach. But obviously that's just not going to happen this season. And I think it would be interesting to see how Engen would do pulled up top, like she was her earlier college years, but I think we need her in the defense at this point.

I think Emma's tactics just aren't going to work for this team. She needs to change her way, or we need to find a new coach, because obviously things aren't working out.

2. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    It's not like their playing bad though. Every game they have had so far, they have had the better ball posession, it just comes down to finishing. They have had a lot of great scoring chances where they just screw up or it could be due to luck, who knows. That is the only thing lacking right, goal scoring. I can't think of any other issue this team has.

3. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not according to the replay on the big screen. I mean, it was close and I can understand the mistake on that one and it was nowhere near as blatantly wrong as the other two but it was still a bad call. Look, we all know that refs have a tough and mostly thankless job and all, but at a certain point you just have to call out massive incompetence (or worse) when you see it. I mean, people pay good money to put on, sponsor and attend these games - and in this economy that's no mean thing! If those ARs had any pride, self-respect, or love of the game, they'd turn in their credentials, buy season tickets and hope that better officials take their place.

4. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uhm, which one is it?

I mean, any professional player should be able to score when they get perfect service. That's not remarkable. That's expected!

Cristiane did some good things yesterday and should have poached that goal if it hadn't been for the idiot AR. But her lack of speed and conditioning showed a few times too. I mean, she did great to get those two steals that should have led to her being 1-v-1 with the keeper but she is too slow and the defenders were able to recover and chase her down extremely quickly. She's also not able to use her fancy dribbling to explode around players this year.

5. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Just like last year, we're doing everything except finishing. Too bad it doesn't matter how good your defense or midfield are if you can score goals to win games.

6. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well I meant she should be the target when the ball is served on a cross or off a corner. But obviously if we have better options then just blinding serving the ball in like we so often do, then we should. I actually think part of Cristiane's problem is that she is trying to get that perfect opportunity by passing. I noticed quite a few times on Sunday that she would try and slip the ball over to Asllani with Sky Blue defenders right there. Instead, she needs to just shoot the second she can. Her hesitancy right now is allowing defenders to knock her off her balance causing her shots to go off target. Maybe that is a problem of her physical stamina right now, but I think it's mostly a mental problem for her.

Oh and you are right about professionals being expected to finish in the air when the ball is served right in the air, but I'm telling you, Cristiane is the best person in the air on our team and we haven't even given her the opportunity to show that. Maybe thats because the forwards are out of position? Again, I'm not sure. But I still believe that Rapinoe's return will impact the team, and the play of Cristiane for the better. Let's just hope its very soon.

7. sisyphus

sisyphus Member

Apr 17, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago
    just some fun facts... through three games wambach and cheney have one goal and so does Nogueira, Milbrett, Chalupny, etc. The vast majority of the goals aren't being scored by the big fast forwards... they are being scored by midfielders and shifty/technical forwards in WPS... and of course several on set pieces, junk rebounds and scrum deflections. Even though I have a mental bias that you had to have the big target forward last year to win -- the stats say its just not the case:

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/standings/2009/detailed/player_g

Yes in 2009 Abby had 8 goals -- but Cristiane had 7, abily 8, and so on... and defenses this year are much better than last year. A single big target forward is not going to cut it. Yes Sinclair working off Marta presents a real opportunity, but for the most part offenses will have to find more complex ways to break down the opponents this year.

We can all debate why the ball isn't going in for CRS but without the surrounding technical skill to break down the better defenses this year the Abby's, Cheney's won't be able to score.

I am as frustrated as any CRS fan but I don't believe the big target forward is gonna do it. Again, how would this thread read if Noguiera hadn't missed the 10 foot open goal against St. Louis, or one of the several post shots had gone in? Or if Cris wasn't ruled incorrectly offsides, or if DiMartinos shot doesn't fall to Chalupny's foot or... Would we be fundamentally concerned about the entire approach and personnel? I don't think so.

That said we need a win, pretty or ugly we need one and Saturday can be a good matchup for us.

8. suncraver03

suncraver03 New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was very impressed by her and I'm sorry if my appreciation for her work did translate. She was very physical and she imposed her will on the game. It seemed like she was everywhere and involved in every aspect of the SB game. Very technical, strong, well taken challenges on the ball and a good passer. She's going to be a super-star.

I used the word "beast" as a compliment...as men are often complimented for their strong physical play. Male and female players are often talked about in different ways. Ex...(This is a generalization---so don't anyone say "I don't do that")...Two very mild difference...male players are almost exclusively referred to by their last names, while it's about 50/50 for female players to be called by both/either. Also, men are rarely called "boys" while women are often "girls". These specific BigSoccer boards are one of the exceptions to this generalization and are what make them appealing to me.

Because of these (and the many other) differences in the ways we (the general "we") talk about female and male athletes, I make a conscious choice to use interchangeable terms as often as I can.

9. suncraver03

suncraver03 New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kudos

I know it gets old to say it, but how is it the coach's fault that open nets are missed, that crossbars and posts are hit, that obvious goals are taken away and obvious offsides aren't called? She is putting the players in the position to succeed, but she's not out there kicking the ball herself or raising/not raising the flag!

Yes, these are her players, but two of best offensive players are not 100% (Carney, coming off a massive knee injury just 7 months ago, and Rapinoe, who looks like she's lost about 20 pounds). Although, Carney played well at times (it was great to see her effort), she still has a couple of games to go to be able to blaze for an entire game. I wouldn't even venture to guess how long Rapinoe will be out. I'm sure it's killing her, because it's not like she's in rehab for an injury. I mean, her body is sound and you don't get to this elite level of play without pushing your body past it's breaking point. To have to wait to be strong enough to play again has to suck!

The other two (Christiane and Asllani) just began playing together less than 2 months ago. Is it any wonder that they have trouble connecting with each other sometimes?

Yes, each of these players has a down-side. If they didn't, we would have an entire league of Martas! Sometimes I think most of the criticism of Christiane is because she isn't Marta.

The system is working. Three middling results doesn't mean you throw the whole thing out and start over. We played, arguably, the two best teams in the league these first three games! And played them very closely. The skill is there, the effort is there, and the system is there...the goals will come.

10. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    I agree with most comments in this thread, on both sides.
    Chicago has many, many talented players. They are fine on the back line, the midfield. The forwards are pretty good too yet they have trouble scoring. Besides being unlucky a bit, the passes in the final third can be better and the shots can be aimed better also.

Cristiane is skilled but slow. She does need ball at her feet or if you play the ball in the air, it has to be to her head, not ahead of her so she has to run onto it. She can not beat fast defenders that way. Masar is not skilled enough to beat 2 defenders. I have not seen anything special from Asslani.

Chicago's attack needs number. If the forwards can not take a shot at goal right away, they need to hold the ball and wait for the midfield and outside backs to join in the attack.

11. HODOR

HODOR New Member

Nov 27, 2009
    Cristiane and Asllani actually played for the same team (Linköpings FC) for half a season in 2008. While it's true they didn't play much together (Cristiane started and then got subbed out for Asllani in most games), they are not complete strangers.

12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It must be the angle of the TV, because where I was sitting I could see how the CRS player was ofsides before the pass was played. I was disapointed that the player in the box did not try to stay behind the ball, I did not see the replay, maybe it looks closer on TV, but this was a good call by the sideline ref. like I said I can no comment on the other two plays.

13. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I love our Red Stars team. We have lots of skill, charisma, etc. I just want us to win.

Someone sitting near me last week said they look like a team of excellent, skilled players who just got together for the first time in a pickup game.

Hope this gets ironed out soon. Once Pinoe gets back, we'll have another big weapon. There is no way that a team with this much talent can't put it together. We are strong on defense and usually dominate the midfield. But we've hit goal posts. We've been called offsides. This can't last forever. A little good luck has to come our way sooner or later.

14. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    During the time Cristiane played for Linköping, she had trouble connecting with pretty much anyone but Daniela. Problems "connecting" characterised her time in Germany (with two different clubs) too. Last season, fans were saying that she just needed some time to settle... needed the support of a Brazilian community... needed better weather... Has anyone established how much time she needs?

15. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Cristiane came in to camp if I can bluntly say IMO, fat. When I saw her first at the Notre Dame exhibition, I was amazed that she wasn't in better shape.
    Also as much as I enjoy watching her play, she dribbles sometimes too much. She loves rolling that ball with her feet down the side lines and more often then not it gets taken away. Her moves at this time are slow motion.
    However, she can thread a pass through defenders with precision. She just needs to get in better shape, IMO.

Between Cristiane, Carney and Asllani, there are not enough balls to go around. They all want it. They want it at the same time and they want it too much. That's why you will often see one or all of them in the defense trying to get the ball. Carney and Asllani are starting to jell together though.

16. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    I just saw the replay of that offside call on cristian,e talk about atrocious officiating. I would have went ballistic on the ref.

17. abby2004

abby2004 BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 25, 2005
    East Coast
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw this on twitter from Rapinoe. Good news for the Red Stars!!!

mPinoe Cheguei!!!!! I'm finally able to play this weekend! Thanks for all the well wishes :) Looking forward to @chicagoredstars vs. Boston!

18. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully the league will notice and try and address the issue

Fantastic news! Though she'll be a sub more than likely, its good news.

19. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been to all Red Stars home games and a couple away games as well as some USWNT, WUSA and even, back in the day, W-League games (Hooper with the Cobras was something special to watch) and maybe my memory is faulty but I can't recall ever seeing the whole crowd at a women's game just totally unload on the refs like the crowd did at the end of the game last Sunday. Maybe at the college level it happens but I haven't seen that before. It was completely justified, of course, but I was shocked nonetheless.

20. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This was one of the worst reffed games I have ever seen. I normally don't criticize refs. But this was terrible.

21. Damn, I was THAT loud! :)

Captain Louis Renault lives!;)
    How about the fact that 5 subs, a goal, and three stoppages for treatment added up to only 1 minute of added time. That sucks when you're the home team and down a goal.

22. suncraver03

suncraver03 New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for that. I didn't know that.

23. suncraver03

suncraver03 New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news!

Apparently it was mono that kept her out, though, not meningitis as was originally reported.

24. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I can say is that the league ********ing OWES us. If we make it to the play-offs and we meet SBFC, I want to see the most blatant make-up calls imaginable like all of SBFC's goals called offsides no matter what and us gifted two goals on shots where the ball sailed completely over the net.