Sky Blue in 2014

Discussion in 'NJ/NY Sky Blue' started by RUfan, Feb 10, 2014.

1. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MORRISTOWN, NJ (Monday, Feb. 10, 2014) -

Sky Blue FC season tickets are now on sale for the 2014 campaign. Fans can purchase tickets online at https://tickets.skybluefc.com/ or by calling 888-SBFC-TIX (888-723-2849). All home games will be played at Yurcak Field in Piscataway, NJ on the Busch Campus of Rutgers University.

http://www.skybluefc.com/home/786759.html

3. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, one of those names, at the least, will not be on the final roster. Maybe a trade coming up? Or maybe someone simply won't get a contract.

5. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    One of the defenders has to be cut or traded.

6. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 21 players are not a "surprised", we had discussed the number of players previously on other threads.
    In an Equalizer story earlier this month, Garbarra was reported as "He also gives 3rd and 4th Round picks Michelle Pao and Elizabeth Eddy great chances of making the roster".

Thompson most likely? but surprisingly she did play in 14 games last year for 409 minutes.

Clive believes that if a team waives a player and that player is not claimed, the team is still on the hook for that player's salary.
    Is it possible that the lesser players have not actually had their options exercised yet and will not until preseason or even only if make a final roster?

The league's roster rules include:
    "Once preseason begins, Teams must make a decision on Non-Contracted Players, whose rights they hold, within 10 days once the Player reports. For Players whose rights a Team holds from the previous Season, the decision must be made by March 10, 2014."

Thoughts?

7. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The time for teams to exercise their options passed a long time ago. It's likely the teams approached things this way:

1. For players they were sure they would want for 2014, they exercised their options (some time shortly after the conclusion of the 2013 season);

2. For players they weren't sure they would want for 2014, they did not exercise their options. This probably made those players "Non-Contracted Players" whose rights the team holds from the previous Season.

3. For this group of "Non-Contracted Players," the teams have to decide whether to contract or not contract for 2014 with the players by March 10. March 10 is the beginning of pre-season practices. A good number of these decisions already have been made.

What this does is make players who were under contract in 2013 available to the other teams unless they either (1) had their options exercised or (2) are signed to new contracts before the beginning of the pre-season practice period (March 10). Or, put differently, it allows these players to try out during the pre-season for positions with other teams.

I'm guessing that most of the "Non-Contracted Players" that teams want to keep already have been signed; and that the relative few who the teams are likely not to keep already know their situations. Those who follow the individual teams closely probably have a pretty good which players are which.

8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, after being one of the quietest teams for most of the offseason, we're starting to get more and more signs of life from Sky Blue:

9. ladyofwh

ladyofwh Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Pablo Cervantes ‏@ProtagonistasDJ 18m
    Me gusta que la #NWSL vaya siendo una liga global. Otra internacional japonesa, Nanase Kiryu, será jugadora de Sky Blue. Anuncio en breve.

Sounds like they may have signed an international player from Japan.. Nanase Kiryu.

10. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is the press release. A forward
    http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=4741272

There were rumors or speculations here or Equalizer that SB was interested in a Japanese player (the protected discovery player #1 ?) and then they signed up the coach (translator?).

11. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I doubt SBFC went through all that process to sign a high profile coach to use him as a translator.

12. ladyofwh

ladyofwh Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Kiryu is trying to challenge herself and perhaps, aiming to get a spot on the Japanese national team. I'm glad Sky Blue has signed a forward! What other moves will they make now? As I remember, two members, Melanie Booth and Manya Makoski, have retired...

13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On Saturday, March 29, Georgian Court University will host Sky Blue FC versus University of North Carolina in the final match of preseason. A perennial powerhouse in the NCAA tournament, UNC reached the quarterfinals before losing to eventual champion UCLA, 1-0, in double overtime.
    Below is the complete preseason schedule (all game times are ET):
    Date
    Opponent
    Time
    @ St. John's University
    1:00 PM
    Belson Stadium - Queens, NY
    Sun., March 23
    Penn State
    1:00 PM
    Newark Academy - Livingston, NJ
    Sat., March 29
    UNC
    4:00 PM
    Georgian Court University - Lakewood Township, NJ

14. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Video from first day of training. Is their kit just a regular shirt? The other teams that I have seeen (Reign, Boston, Dash) all have Nike gear.

15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    You don't have to be in kits all the time. I know last year SEA and KC often trained in T-shirts, especially in preseason.

16. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    It was just an observation but I find it weird that on the first day of preseason, you do not wear your kit when you have one. It's like a kid on the first day of school not bringing their new back pack.
    According to reports, the reign wore regular shirts because they did not have an official training kit from Nike

17. liesse00

liesse00 Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Preseason Roster

Goalkeepers (2): Brittany Cameron and Yirlania Arroyo Fonseca*

Defenders (7): CoCo Goodson, Cami Levin, Lindsi Cutshall, Kendall Johnson, Hayley Haagsma, Maddie Thompson, and Morgan Johnson*

Midfielders (9): Ashley Nick, Katy Freels, Taylor Lytle, Rachel Breton*, Trish DiPaolo*, Mallory Schaeffer*, Amanda Dutra*, Ashley Clarke*, and Jodi-Ann McGregor*

Forwards (5): Maya Hayes, Lauren Reilly*, Renee Washington*, Caroline Brown*, and Donnakay Henry*

*Trialist

18. New Engalnd Nellie

Mar 6, 2008
    Roster released today 3/17 - (It popped up on Twitter)

Preseason Camp Roster
    Goalkeepers (3):
    Brittany Cameron, Jill Loyden and Yirlania Arroyo Fonseca*
    Defenders (9): CoCo Goodson, Cami Levin, Lindsi Cutshall, Kendall Johnson, Hayley Haagsma, Maddie Thompson, Caitlin Foord, Kelley O’Hara and Christie Rampone
    Midfielders (8): Ashley Nick, Katy Freels, Taylor Lytle, Sophie Schmidt, Nanase Kiryu, Rachel Breton*, Trish DiPaolo*, and Mallory Schaeffer*
    Forwards (3): Maya Hayes, Monica Ocampo, and Jonelle Filigno
    *Trialist
    Training Camp Notes:
    • Japanese midfielder Nanase Kiryu, who was signed by the club on February 18, will arrive to camp at a date to be determined.

19. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only 3 forwards listed?

20. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Out here in Portland, OR, Kendall Johnson was home for a while before pre-season training. I'm not sure how it happened, but a U10 GK I've coached in rec and futsal managed to be able to spend some time with Kendall. My GK was wanting to work on free kicks, so Kendall spent a good deal of time working with her on GK free kicks. My U10 young lady will love Kendall forever!

21. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    O'Hara is listed as a defender, so that forward strategy is gone.
    the (forced?) late trade of DeVanna may have disrupted the forward plans.

22. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Yeah DeVanna is gone but I don't see the cause for concern here. How many teams have listed more than three forwards? At least SBFC get's to keep 2/3 and most like 3/3 throughout the season.

23. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back on Feb 15, the SB roster page had 21 names including all 4 draft picks.
    Now Pao and Eddy are both missing from the 3/17 press release and the roster page, with no comments on them.

Are only one or both coming late or not coming at all?

24. liesse00

liesse00 Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know about Pao but Eddy is on the USC lacrosse team which finishes in May.

25. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Yes, Eddy has decided to forgo a professional soccer career in order to play a 2nd season of lacrosse.