Skip Bayless on the Jim Rome Show... and I agree

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by theRedSea, Jul 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Maybe fifa needs to imitate the officiating of the leagues, not the other way round. Fifa should adapt the world cup to world football, world football shouldn't have to adapt to the world cup.

I don't remember many bad tackles in this world cup, and most of the cards were undeserved.

2. Happily Marschless

Happily Marschless New Member

Jan 27, 2006
    I actually think this is a wonderful idea. I don't know if I would outlaw them altogether, but definitely any sliding tackle from behind the player should be an automatic yellow, possibly red. There is a reason they outlaw blocks in the back in American Football. It just doesn't seem fair to hit someone who can't see you coming. American Football rules almost never make sense, but that's one that does. At least if you slide from the side or in front of a player, he can brace himself for contact or maybe even avoid you, but if FIFA decided to outlaw them from any angle, I wouldn't be disappointed. Sliding tackles from behind don't show much skill on the defender's part and prevent the offensive player from showing his prowess on that play and maybe longer if the tackle injures the offensive player.

3. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    Slide tackling is great, it stops strikers good. Especially when you're tall like me, you cover alot of ground with them.

I often use them as a scare tactic on little players. They work too.

[​IMG]
    Easy to use graphic

4. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Why is someone who's never played football trying to suggest rules on tackling? A slide tackle from behind is one of the most difficult and skillful things a defender can do.

And your rule would prevent the defensive player from showing his prowess on that play. You've been watching too many Nike adverts. Outlaw legitimate tackles and you're left with a bland defensive game that's something like basketball.

What you Jogo Bonito freaks don't realise is that skillful dribbles and passes are appreciated so much because they've managed to avoid all the tackles.

5. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    If you take away side tackles it'll become the NBA. Where defense is punishable by hanging.

6. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And as to his argument that added time is too much at the discretion of the ref, where does he think basketball refs get the time they sometimes have to add back to the clock during the interminable end to a close game? It's their best guess.
    Yep. When I would set a pick, you'd better believe I dropped like a sack of crap when the defender ran into me. Of course, that was not really that useful to my team, since I stunk at free throws.

Actually there is, here, a similarity to basketball. Movement off the ball, movement to pull defenders out of an area to create space, and movement to fill that space with an attacker receiving a pass. What people don't see is that similarity. And I've noticed when announcers try to explain the game in relation to sports that Americans are familiar with, then we at BigSoccer start having shit-fits.

Which naturally calls into question why baseball is so popular. What amazes me is that%2

7. northargylllad

northargylllad New Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Club:
    New York City FC
    While the 4 major American professional sports leagues of Baseball, Basketball, Ice Hockey and American Football are not bad for their athletes and athletic performance in general, (And I do enjoy watching them from time to time) this whole “franchise” nonsense just makes them all seem so plastic and artificial when compared to football.

When teams are relocated, (basically just ripped away from a city and then “given” to another city…and allowed to continue as if its still the same team with the same history!!!!, and that NOTHING has changed) it makes a total mockery and laughing stock out of the sport, and a laughing stock of the organisational structure of that sport in general.

When Skip Bayless, and people like him, start attacking football for its faults, he should consider these things first.

8. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um...this thread is over a decade old.

DBR70 repped this.