Skint: The Manchester United Transfer Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Motterman, Jan 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He 27, I honestly rather Mario Balotelli

2. sab456

sab456 Member

May 20, 2007
    I thought he would be around 23-24 but he is actually 27 yrs old. Havent seen much of him but he seems decent(youtube :p).

We always get linked with strikers from serie A. But have ended up getting none of them.

3. Bronaldo

Bronaldo Red Card

Apr 8, 2007
    Canada
    It really depends. Balotelli is one for the future. I've see him play a bit and he's gonna be class, but will he really be able to make an impact in his first season here?

I feel we need someone who can step in right now (next season) and give us the Plan B that some people talk about or just slot into part of our Part A. He's got the technical ability to play with our slick passing, and hes very good in the air.

4. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I don't know. I am all about the future. I think Manchester United's current striker situation is fine for the remainder of the season. Rooney, Saha, Tevez and Ronaldo seems to rotate in and out of that "area" lately. Next year Manucho might get in as well....

Mario it is.

5. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    You think our striker situation is fine? Rooney is suspended, Tevez is in need of a rest, Saha is never healthy, might as well take his make from the official roster, and Ronaldo isnt a 9.

We are desperately in need of another 9. I would even bring back Henrik Larsson. Thats how desperate I am.

6. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    There are rumours that Chelsea had a £20 million bid rejected. Having said that, we probably wont get him even if we were interested.

7. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    How has Mario Gomez been performing so far this season?

8. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    great player, wish we can bring him here, he s the one who is relatively cheap but extremely good

9. Bronaldo

Bronaldo Red Card

Apr 8, 2007
    Canada
    I dunno about cheap. He's one of the brightest young players in the world. I'm thinking he would cost 13+, but he would be a very good signing.

10. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I thought he broke his leg, or had some long term injury. Not sure though.

11. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    how much did we pay for ruud , and mario is 21 years old , so he s young and proven , and i dont think he minds being after rooney or tevez in the pecking order ...

12. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    We paid £19.1 million.

13. Bronaldo

Bronaldo Red Card

Apr 8, 2007
    Canada
    I would pay 20m for Gomez. Very athletic, good finisher and will not mind being slowly introduced to the team.

I doubt we'll go for him.

14. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
  15. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    he s my number one, honestly, he can make an impact, i hope fergie sees him as a third striker, but i dont think he ll go for a german player, when was the last time we had a german player.....

16. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I know people round here want Simpsons to Succeed and Everyone here has to love Red Neville, but personally a Right back would be my second most desired transfer (after the much needed 9 ofcourse) Simpson hasnt proved that he can play as a starter every week, rather more relieve the first choice and get experience along the way. And sadly we must admit that Neville may not be able to play week in week out either and may take a more Giggs type role with rests.

What players do you lot think would be a player that could be a succesful Right Back and what sort of qualities do you think they'd need?

17. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    pacy,strong,attack and defend equally well

Philipp Lahm although i think his positional play needs work or i may be thinking of someone else

18. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    It all depends on how we want to play. Generally speaking there are three options.

(1) Defensive full-back - The advantage to this is that it enables Ronaldo to have more freedom to attack because having someone who will stay behind him limits the potential of an opposition break down that flank. The obvious disadvantage is that we would lack anything from an attacking sense down the entire flank outside of crosses from deep, particularly as Ronaldo would not stick to the wing.

(2) Attacking full-back - A right-sided Evra will obviously cause a lot of problems for the opposition because it would provide penetration, width, interlinked passing and crossing from the byline. It also adds another player for the opposition to track which leaves more space for our attacking players to operate. The disadvatage is that it leaves a big gap that could be exploited on the break, particularly if our full-back is on the byline and Ronaldo has cut inside. One of our central midfielders (read Hargreaves) could cover the gap but Evra creates the same problem on the opposite flank and it makes little sense to lose two players from the attacking side of our game just to cover space.

(3) The all-rounder - Jack of all trades... It gives us the option to alter our style of play depending on the situation but we obviously lose a bit at both ends of the park unless we go for top tier player.

Given the names we have seen mentioned thus far the obvious choice is Phillip Lahm. He's only 24 years old, a proven player at international and club level, can play either flank and is one of the best full-backs in the game today. He is (was) looking to leave Bayern Munich and is out of contract in 2009. Considering the price quoted for several other options it would be stupid to not even attempt to make a move for Lahm providing he wants to start on the right. The potential is there to get him for a reasonable price in the summer but even if we need to pay his full valuation he would still be move than worth it and a far better option than what we have been looking at thus far.

The only thing that complicates things is Simpson and the lesser known Brazilian twin. If we rate either of them highly then it makes little sense to block their route into the first team by signing Lahm. Instead we should be targeting an older player who can be used as a short/mid-term option. Funnily enough the best option in that situation is another Bayern Munich player and he is Willy Sagnol. He also wants to leave the club and while he would be 31 years old in March and was injured he's still one of, if not the best, right-back in the business.

Obviously everything depends on Neville.

19. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    Lahm as first choice target

Bosingwa as second.

If you get Lahm that would be a superb catch!

Very versatile as well.

20. holytoledo

holytoledo New Member

Jan 13, 2005
    Lahm wants out of Bayern? Any reason why?

21. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    as far as i know Philipp Lahm is happy

but maybe SM's cousin has seen him in Manchester

22. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I thought that it was due to him being played out of Posistion or not frequently enough or something? Plus to be honest I see us as more of a modern super power and more glamorous than Munchen nowdays, in the late 90's and early 00's I saw them as one of the two Feared teams Madrid and Munchen were the Two European super powers, madrid's power dimmed a little but to me Munchen have moved out of that light.

I think the Premier League in itself is just a League that many players fancy themselves trying.

But then maybe i'm just crapping on :)

23. Hendrik

Hendrik Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Deutschland
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The English sources got the translation wrong.

All he said was "In the next months I and my agent will discuss a contract extension with Bayern. I haven't talked to any other club and don't intend to do so. My aim is to play for a club that can realistically win the CL every year. Real Madrid, Barcelona, Milan and Chelsea can offer me that but Bayern are on the right path to close the gap to those clubs."

He prefers to play RB like he does for Germany but Sagnol just recently stated he will probably finish his career at Bayern in a couple of years.

24. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Why do you guys want Lahm? I thought you already had a RB coming through in addition to those brazilian twins.

You have to give him a chance before you already "replace" him. Lahm isn't a stop gap kind of player, he will essentially keep out any of your young full backs for a good 6+ years.

Most kids aren't going to look like world beaters just yet, and it might seem like you are throwing them into a situation that looks beyond them. but is the best way to top off their development. Give them an extended run, and if they aren't showing much promise then give the next kid in a line a chance.

25. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    As much as I would love for that to happen, you have to get 90 points in a season if you want to win the league which means even prodigies like Rossi would get sacrificed for someone who is at a higher level of development currently.