skills?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Throwins, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Throwins

Throwins Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Around the Puget Sound
    After watching the game against CR it was painfull to watch their inability to trap, pass and play 1 touch. So many of these players are in 2nd & 3rd D leagues and it showed. Route 1 just isn't an option anymore against skilled teams.

Canada used to be miles ahead of the US what happened?

2. goooalasoo

goooalasoo New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    I think lack of funding at the grassroots level is whats wrong. I remember when I was young, local teams in Toronto would would go to tournaments in the U.S and beat State Champions and State All-Star teams, and believe me they were rarely close games, but once the U.S unveiled their MLS plans some years ago, and with the increasing popularity of the sport in North America, the U.S adopted the sport and pumped money into the system. Canada, on the other hand sat back and watched this occur. Now you have IMO a very poor player pool to chose from and things don't seem to be getting better. It is a sad state of affairs. Go Canada

3. RedandWhite

RedandWhite Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Canada
    It's the coaching. Canda has terrible coaching. I play agianst kids my age, 16-18, who are winning tournaments in Europe and South America. Once they get to Team Canada, their talent just "disappears."

4. Throwins

Throwins Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Around the Puget Sound
    I haven't seen kids from eastern Canada play, but there have been team from Alberta and BC here in tournaments and some of them have been very good. My question would be where do they go? Do they just quit playing soccer, is soccer not an option past a certain age other than Simon Fraiser is college soccer terrible. There seems to be a huge void between high school and the national team.

5. TastySimon

TastySimon New Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Toronto
    You guys are making it seem like Canada got blown away. Costa Rica should be glad they came away with the win. I dont know what game you guys were watching, but I saw a team Canada that was pushing hard for the equalizer and dominating for most of the second half, especially in the last few minutes, even with McKenna sent off. Anyone know what the game stats were? I couldnt find it.