Skiing, Snowboarding, and Snowshoeing

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Jeff, Jul 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    chachi I don't blame you though my experiences at Sunday River at least were good. ASC's biggest problem is trying to build up these resort villages where they won't get enough destination traffic, instead of keeping the skiing of high quality. Sugarloaf? Too damn out of the way to attract more than weekenders. Heaven Forbid if they tried to build one at Snoqualmie (ONE HOUR from SEATTLE, just keep throwing money away).

On a brighter note, I just found out I have Monday off! Sunday morning at Keystone, Monday TBD (maybe Loveland).

2. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Monday's Keystone. Some of the US Ski Team will be at Loveland on Monday. Cool thing to do, but to have more runs open, I'll be at Keystone. A news article in Denver said Keystone will open 16 runs, making them with 20 open, tomorrow, due to the huge dump they got Friday night, today, and into tomorrow.

I'd go there for a few hours tomorrow morning but driving there and back is probably gonna be too dicey. The snow and high winds are supposed to be around tomorrow.

3. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Gonna be raining here in the valley for the next four days.

Weather report from eariler this evening reported that the mountains have received around 12 inches of snow so far. WOOHOO!!!!!

4. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    As of this morning Bogus Basin has a 17 inch base and 17 inches at the summit. If we can get some good storms betwixt now and Thanksgiving....WOOHOO!!!!

I managed to sell a Marmot snowboard jacket, TNF down jacket, and my Rossi skate skis :( for $280 over the weekend at the big annual Bogus Basin Ski Racing Alliance Ski Swap. I'll be getting my check next month. This brotha has gots to pay some bills!!!

Crap. I better throw on the Blizzaks on my car soon!!!

5. Brihodge

Brihodge New Member

Apr 27, 2001
    Unterwegs
    Hey just wondering if anyone here has been to Val Thorens/ Les Trois Valees, if so i'd appreciate your comments. I'm an east coast ice-skier, so hoping it lives up to its reputation for having good stuff.

6. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Holy ************ someone in the eternal land likes me!

This from Pali's Pitch, an A-Basin newsletter:

"7 1/2 feet of Snow Since October 1!!

You've probably heard that the mountains are getting hit hard with snow. Well, A-Basin is no exception. Since October 1, we have received over 7 1/2 feet of snow. That's 90" of that light, fluffy, white stuff.

Because of all that snow, we will be opening a week and 1/2 earlier than planned. Opening day will be this Saturday, November 16 at 8:30 a.m. That would make it the earliest opening date in 10 years. We plan to have 75% of the terrain open, 34 runs, served by three lifts on a 30" midway base. Are we excited or what? A-Basin has seen 18 days of snow out of the last 21 days! Well, so much for that new snowmaking system - looks like it's working pretty well.

Skiers and riders can look forward to an early season ride down Slalom Slope, Lenawee Parks, Norway, Cornice West Wall, Standard and 13 Cornices. And you'll be the first to know when additional terrain and lift openings occur in the future.

Early season lift tickets for adults at the ticket window will be $31 and $15 for kids (6-14). All skier services will be available so you can rent skis or boards, take a lesson, get something hot to eat and pick up some new goggles in the retail shop.

And one more time - don't forget to get your A-Basin Bonus Pass on-line before you get here at www.arapahoebasin.com. Only $199 will get you unlimited skiing or boarding at the Basin, plus 5 non-transferable lift tickets to Keystone/Breckenridge. One can even be used at Vail or Beaver Creek. Hurry, while supplies last.

See you on Saturday!"

My only decision is whether to go Saturday or Sunday. This weekend is Gem Card weekend at Loveland, I can ski all day for $15 at a resort I don't have a pass for. Lovleand was AWESOME yesterday, so I want to go back like you don't believe.

7. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Lucky bastard!
    :mad::mad:

8. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Fear believe me I know this is good fortune. An early season like this happens once a decade. Vail hasn't had this much snow prior to the opening since 1985 (they open Saturday). Vail and Beaver Creek are also lifting their restriction for Colorado Pass holders for Thanksgiving weekend. I'm at Vail that Friday if I don't have to work, to use one of my 10 days the pass allows for.

9. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My brother told me a few days ago that he's headed up to Killington for the weekend, and that there were 80 trails open there, which seemed pretty hard to believe. There's a reason for that - it's not true. He musta got confused, cause there's only 20 open at the moment - they're aiming to have around 80 for Thanksgiving though.

I'm already in the mood.

10. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    I've added Keystone to my list, which includes Killington, of "never believe a word they say" when it comes to open stuff. Keystone advertised 4 lifts and 20+ trails for Monday. Unless I didn't see the 3rd and 4th, there were 2 lifts running, making for 20 minute wait lines. I go back there when nearly the whole resort is open.

Anyway, there may be 20+ runs open at Killington. Okemo had 13 runs open as of last Thursday. I do tend to be cyncial about what resorts advertise, especuially when they don't list what's open on their website (Keystone doesn't).

It won't be long before lifts are cranked up all over the country.

11. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really, really, really, really want to get to Tremblant this year.

12. Bucky

Bucky New Member

Feb 20, 1999
    midwest

am i the only lonely midwesterner in this little forum?

woohoo

the workouts are paying off.......the old bod is ready for snow

any day now....come on, midwestern blizzards....

13. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Where abouts in the midwest? Actually Michigan's supposed to have a couple of decent sized resorts up by Traverse City.

14. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Ice fishing is better.

15. Bucky

Bucky New Member

Feb 20, 1999
    cheesehead

I'm a badger in Madison.

We have 'zits' for skiing down here, but never think twice at making the 5+ hr drive to 'YOooopperland' [the upper penn of Mich]

basically, we'd rather save up our pennies and fly out to Utah or South Lake Tahoe. Can only get out every other year....cha-ching$$

Haven't been to the Summit of CO in several years.

16. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    I hear ya about the cash thing.

Speaking of that, the guy that's tuning my skis at Christy Sports mentioned that my skis may not make it through the end of the year due to usage. Looked sincere, so I'm exploring options.

Other than end of season blowout specials or Sniagrab next fall, anyone have recommendations on where to get skis for hopefully less than $300? I may go to Play it Again Sports if the ski's won't last the season. Especially if I get used ones, I'm going to try to keep the same bindings to save cash/keep what I'm familiar with. I'd love to go with Elans again.

17. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Jeff why don't you invest in some new skis?

18. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    No dinero, though a couple of unseen rock tops took out a small chunk of the base of my right ski, near the edge. I'll have to go to Beaver Creek tomorrow since I'll have to stick to groomed trails.

Right now I'm in Glenwood Springs, CO. Went to the local hill today, Sunlight Mountain. A free ticket via the Denver Ski Expo brought me there, surprisingly steep blues, good runs all around, and friendly staff will get me back sometime for sure. I'm in the terminal intermediate phase, but some of the blues I skied today felt like blacks.

Moral of this story: sometimes the lesser known, off the beaten path activities, provide the best experiences. http://www.skicolorado.com/gems, http://www.sunlightmtn.com.

19. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    My local ski hill is opening tomorrow!!!

Ehhh...the snow report this morning is not good though. Only 10 inches at the base and 20 up top. Not gonna make for the best conditions. I am still debating on whether to head up this weekend or not.

I think Bogus is opening for the sake of opening.
    :rolleyes:

20. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Or for Christmas vacation.

I'm not as up on X-ctry depth requirements, but 10 may be enough to get some trails open.

BTW, Christy Sports called me, it doesn't look like my skis can be salvaged, at least not for the $60-65 tuneup range.

21. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Hey Fear, remember when you asked me about new skis?

I bought a ski (Rossignol), binding, and poles (Scott) package Monday, on sale for $289 (reg. twice that), plus $25 for mounting the bindings.

Good thing, you know why?

My skis got shellacked for the last time at Sunlight on Saturday. Turns out that Christy Sports likely can't keep tuneup costs at thr $60-65 range. He'd have to drill through the metal edge to attach a screw to my base. Given that I already have emergency rock skis, that purchase I made Monday looks awfully smart.

There's such a small base to my skis that they're not worth salvaging. Even if it means incurring $320 more debt, I'd lose my sanity if I moved to Colorado but couldn't ski for non-injury reasons.

I may throw the journal online tonight as well.

22. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Journal's Back Up. Just a fun little thing I'm doing. It keeps a little bit of HTML skills updated too.

23. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Good point. I forgot next week is the xmas holidays :eek:.

The Nordic Center is not going to open tomorrow. There is not an adequate enough base.

Glad to hear you got a new setup. You knew it was coming sooner or later.

24. _chachi

_chachi New Member

Mar 15, 1999
    new jersey, usa
    i am scheduled to kick off my '02-'03 season on saturday, but it's supposed to rain tomorrow in the northeast and temps will hit the 40's on saturday. not sure what to do.

25. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I'm heading up tomorrow to go either XC skiing or snowboarding. Not so great conditions be damned! This brotha just needs to get out of the house this weekend!