Skiing, Snowboarding, and Snowshoeing

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Jeff, Jul 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    It went down from $79? I'll have to go find out when the Copper Wagon's coming near me. Even if I already have the Colorado pass, I don't want to limit myself.

2. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    I sent in the paper for the $69 pass yesterday. I LOVED Copper when I went last year so I'm psyched.

Apparently the Winter Park/Copper pass is still up in the air. The Intrawest essential takeover of WP was approved, but I guess there are still snags to be worked out.

http://skicolorado.org/ still has Loveland targeted for an October 19 opening, but since overnight lows in the area are just now starting to hover below 30, I doubt it.

3. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Well we at REI have started putting out our very limited selection :eek: of XC and telemark skis. K2 has a new design on one of their skis..I think the Piste Off...anyhoo it has this cool bluish Hawaiin theme going. LOVE IT!!!

4. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    The foothills of Denver, not just the mountains, may get a bit of snow Thursday. I hope it's a sign of things to come.

5. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    The weather forecast may be calling for some snow in the upper elevations here in Idaho..I am guessing more like in the central Idaho region instead of my neck of the woods although the lows for this week are hovering in the 30s. So I guess Bogus could get some dusting here and there. We'll see though.

How is everyone's preseason conditioning coming along? Mine is good. It could be better. Today did a ton of lunges and squats. The downtown YMCA is starting up their ski conditioning classes. I'm into like week 4 of mine I think.

What sucks though is that I'm carrying 187 pounds on my 5-8 body. I've gained several pounds since last winter. :rolleyes: This is gonna make XC skiing a bitch the first couple of times out unless I could drop back about 10 pounds or so between now and the start of the season. Highly unlikely.

6. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    I still go to the gym, went hiking today (small 5 mile trip with a couple semi-tough switchbacks. I started the squats that I should have done all summer (one year I'll learn) but had to stop since I strained something. It's now better, so they resume tomorrow, and circuit training on Thursday.

Snow alert, for the most part northeast of the ski areas, but snow nonetheless:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/weather/severeweatheralerts/svr_COZ036.html

I'm doing a short local hike to Lookout Mountain Saturday morning rain, sun, snow, or wind.

7. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Today in the mail I just received my NEW 2002-2003 Bogus Basin Ski Pass. They redesigned the passes to hopefully eliminate fake passes. The new ones have a hologram on 'em.

But I still don't like my pic on there. :rolleyes: I look dopey :D.

8. _chachi

_chachi New Member

Mar 15, 1999
    new jersey, usa
    i leave for 2 weeks and my favorite thread is still going strong! brings a tear to my eye.

i'm not quite ready for winter yet. still a lot of mountain biking and hiking left to do. on sunday, i completed a 8 mile journey in the na pali coast on the hawaiian island of kauai. absolutely stunning! i'll try and post photos later this week.

9. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    You're supposed to look like a bit of a clown in those. :) I usually either look enraged or stoned in mine.

Anyway, it's quite nippy here in Denver, just barely over the snow temp line. It felt good going out for a couple minutes at lunch. I also have some hiking left, going on Saturday actually.

10. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    Good news for Jeff: 20 inches of snow in Aspen and more on the way, according to the Weather Channel.

11. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Damn, I missed that! I hate to be a cynic, but refuse to go to Aspen. Can some of that be dumped on Arapahoe Basin or Loveland (I don't have a pass here but it's the first to open)? I appreciate the thought though.

I heard through an in the know source of all things snow, that Silverton, a one-lift advanced backcountry area, has already received 40 inches this year so they are opening. Too far, and I'm not advanced enough to hit the backcountry.

12. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    So is there anything wrong with Aspen other than being too rich for one's blood?

Mind you, that's not a bad reason, I'm just asking.

13. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    That's part of it. Another part is I don't feel like dealing with celebrity riff raff and hangers on. The biggest part is that there are areas just as big with just as much to ski on closer to Denver.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciated the post, in a perfect world that 20 inches would be deposited just SW of the Continental Divide at A-Basin.

14. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Sun Valley has the same stigma. Lot of rich snobs and celebrities running around. Oh sure it's cool to ride the lift with Clint Eastwood or see Maria Shriver in extremely tight ski pants (DAMN!!!!) snowboarding at Dollar but I hate that scene.

With that said I wouldn't mind having Sun Valley's facilities at my local hill.

I haven't skiied on Baldy in about 6 or 7 years. But I have no problem partaking in the world class XC system up there. Superb!!!

15. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    I just started reading the October Ski Magazine.

Also contacted Loveland to see if they are going to be open on Saturday. Awaiting word.

16. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Loveland is open on Sat.

That means my 2002-03 ski debut takes place 115 hours from right now.

17. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    :eek:

You're skiing on SATURDAY!?!?!!?!?

What are the conditions up there right now?

18. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Loveland will be open, perhaps even earlier than Saturday. I'm not expecting anything special. However, they are just east of the continental divide, and I mean right down from Loveland Pass, so they are in a good position to get natural stuff. Snowmaking has been going on. Personally I'm only expecting 1-5 trails to be open, but I want to get out there so badly that I don't care if it's only 1, I'm going.

19. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Here it is, straight from Loveland Ski Area:

"Loveland Ski Area Kicks off the Nation's 2002-2003 Ski and Snowboard Season at 9:00 a.m. Thursday October 17th, 2002

(Georgetown, CO....October 16, 2002) . . . Loveland Ski Area officially kicks off the nation’s ski and snowboard season Thursday, October 17, 2002
    at 9:00 a.m. A boost from mother nature in the form of over 12 inches of natural snow and cooler temperatures will help Loveland Ski Area claim the
    coveted title of being the first ski area in North America to open for the season. "Loveland is excited to usher in the 02-03 season. A long hot summer has Loveland's guests and staff alike itching to get out and make the first turns of the season and our elevation allows us to cater to
    this demand," explains Loveland Marketing Director, Kevin Wright. Opening October 17th starts the 02-03 season ahead of the area's projected opening
    date of October 19th. "Being able to offer a quality product ahead of schedule is a great way to start the season," says Wright.

Loveland will open with chairlift #1 serving "Catwalk", "Mambo" and "Home
    Run." This is a top-to-bottom, over one mile in length and 1,000 vertical feet. Base depths will vary 10 to 20 inches. Snowmaking efforts
    will continue to open additional terrain as soon as possible. Loveland's web site, www.skiloveland.com provides daily updates on snowmaking progress and trail openings"

What's even better than the fact that I am skiing on Saturday is the first to open in NA is an hour from me. And it's not.....

A HA, FU KILLINGTON!

20. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    That's all!? You'll be skiing on dirt and rocks and ruining your bases.

21. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    But coming from New England, I have to get skis tuned up monthly, so it won't bother me. :)

22. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Hey Jeff what is your circuit program?

23. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Doing it tomorrow actually. I'm going to increase it to 3 days a week.

Consists of 3 sets of the following, lower weight heavier reps:

- Hamstrings
    - Quads
    - Upper/Outer Back (lat pulldown)
    - Lower/Inner Back (seated row)
    - chest
    - shoulders (military press)
    - biceps
    - triceps

If I'm wiped out, as I do these exercises rather quickly (very short rest in between), the biceps and triceps get left out.

24. _chachi

_chachi New Member

Mar 15, 1999
    new jersey, usa
    you do all of these on one day, three days a week?? i admire the commitment. i can't stay at the gym for more than 1 hour at a time. it just bugs me.

you have fun tomorrow - just try not to scrape off the entire bottom of your skis on the first day.

25. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    At the moment, twice a week tops. I need to increase it to 3 days a week, but never ever 2 consecutive days. I also need to build up stamina so I always do the biceps/triceps, which get skipped if I'm overtired. Just not worth tearing anything if I'm wiped out.

I fully anticipate needing another ski tuneup in 3 weeks, believe me.