Skiing, Snowboarding, and Snowshoeing

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Jeff, Jul 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I did this post way back in September...

Going into this past season...I felt really strong...so it was real nice to hit the snow and not huffing and puffing heavily on the trails. One thing that did sorta set me back was that I was sick twice during winter....the first bout was with the flu beginning around xmas and the second time I dealt with either the flu or bad cold that turned into a sinus infection and that put me out of commission for several weeks in January.

I did ZERO snowboarding but got in a decent amount of XC skiing and snowshoeing. Wish I coulda done more though.

Southwest Idaho had a pretty good winter compared to the past couple of years. Very good snowpack up in the mountains.

I also had planned to do some stuff outside of this general area like Tamarack and McCall and the Wood River Valley but that just didn't happen.

There is still plenty of snow up in the mountains and there may be a chance that I may head out one or two more times before I put gear in storage, but for the most part...I'm looking forward to doing spring stuff like hiking and climbing and cycling.

Overall...a pretty decent season for FearM9. I'm content. Now bring on spring!!!!

2. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    New boots, great. Snow, not so great. 8-12 inches at ski areas on Monday, but 50 degree days the rest of the week, on top of the slushy snow last Sunday, means it better get cold soon or ski season will come to a screeching halt.

3. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Well somehow I swindled myself into doing one last snowshoe trip today. Our store manager set this thing up. What did I learn from today....Heineken, 3 steaks, 6500 feet, and hard physical exertion after scarfing down said Heineken and 3 steaks DO NOT MIX!!!!!!! Ugh....how I managed to get back to the parking lot tromping through slush and mud and a raging headache and belly full of meat and alcohol with the sun beating down on me and temps in the mid 60s without barfing or passing out is beyond me. And to top it off I had to drive 50 miles of twisty mountain roads after all of that and another 40 miles or so to get home...needless to say by the time I pulled into my driveway I was one hurting mutha. Oy. Overall it was a pretty OK day. I didn't break my heart rate monitor or GPS watch so I was pretty lost in terms of techy stuff. I estimated that we did 6 miles or so. A very warm and sunny day and cruddy snow conditions.

Looking back now...if Chel decides to do this again next year (which he'll probably do), I'll probably decline. It's spring for crying out loud!!! I coulda been on my bike or being a Belay Bitch instead.

4. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I am back from Gaperville, Vail that is. Hard to believe I was there for five months. It did not seem that long. I will post more thought about my time out there in the future.

5. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way the majority of people who ski at Vail are rich Gapers.

6. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    A-Basin closed the Pali terrain, at least on weekdays. They'll hang on one weekend past Memorial Day, my guess. I'm going to head up at least once more, maybe in 2 weeks. I ski right down to the end.

Vail does have lots of rich people, same with Beaver Creek. Next year, instead of both the Vail Resorts (Breck / Keystone / A Basin / 10 days at Vail or Beaver Creek) and Intrawest (Copper / Winter Park-Mary Jane) full fledged passes, I'm going with the Intrawest and a reduced Vail Resorts like pass. I only used 2 Beaver Creek days all winter and don't go to Breckenridge. So I can save a small amount of money with just an A-Basin pass which gives me 5 days at Keystone. Good enough, since Keystone never did anything for me save for night skiing until I went to the Outback. I need to start saving cash, and can live without some areas, so there you go. I like A Basin, Copper, Mary Jane, Keystone, and Loveland better, just personal preference. I buy a 4 pack at Loveland every year, pass or not. I went there 2 Sundays ago and the snow was still awesome. I only quit early because I was just shaking off a 10 day virus.

Only went Nordic skiing once all year, not as much natural snow this year. I need to go more next year.

I like skiing and all, but I'm ready for hiking et al.

CrewDust, tell us more about Vail.

7. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was it me or did it only seem to snow on the weekend this season. Hey Jeff, when you were at the Beav did you check out Tom Hanks house? Also at the end of the year I bought a pair of K2 Seth Pistol's.

8. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread better not be closed. :mad:

9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A man calling himself Moses appeared before me with a fire extinguisher and a broken tablet and told me "Threads longer than 350 posts shal be no more." He loked really scary and told me he lived alone in a cabin in this place called "Montana."

10. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    no, it wasn't moses. it was that one guy.....mike, i think.

11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Didn't see Hanks' house but there are some nice ones up there. You'll like the skis.

Should we end this thread on this note, and start the new one with next season's plans? I thought May 1 at A Basin was my last ski day of the season. Nope, I got talked into going tomorrow. Only 8 trails open, but there is still top to bottom skiing, good enough for a couple hours of runs. The lots will be packed with the Brewpubs Festival, but the ski slopes will be near empty. I'm taking the attitude that after my first run, the next real good run is the last of the day, then it's grilling time. I like to end my season on a real good run each year.

A Basin moves to summer hours from June 1-13, 8:30 - 1:30. If tomorrow's okay, I may go up one more time. They got 3 inches of snow from yesterday's cold fronts so that can't hurt.

13. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
  14. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As new thead is started, I am gonna close this one.

15. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bump per request.