SKC vs Chivas USA Season opener 3/19 P/I/P [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Buzz Killington, Mar 12, 2011.

1. -REY MISTERIO-

Aug 2, 2007
    sYLMAR
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    If any of you are coming down to the HDC don’t forget to stop by
    Lot 11 and have a couple of beers with the Union Ultras I know there are some guys coming from KC and will be joining us in our tailgate. Pm me if you will be in town Well go to a pub and get some drinks

1 person likes this.
  2. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought you couldnt tailgate or drink at HDC?

3. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You thought wrong.

4. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I wasnt aware the policy changed. Because it use to be that way. This was a hot topic several years back.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-485322.html

Edit: It appears that the policy hasnt changed and tailgating isnt technically permitted in the way we think of it.

From the Galaxy website:

Q: Is tailgating permitted?
    A: Tailgating is not permitted in The Home Depot Center parking lots. However, The Home Depot Center has designated the grass lawn outside the stadium between Lot 13 and the Northwest Stadium Entrance as a picnic area for fans. Come early and brown-bag it with friends and family! (No grills, please.)

5. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya, Johnny's doesn't get the UFC fights because they are already packed on Saturday nights. They don't wanna pay the bar fee to broadcast the fights if the bar is gonna be busy regardless.

6. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are plenty of bars in the area that target that market. As you said, Johnny's doesnt need to do that to fill the house. Plus, events like that can lead people to be aggressive; especially when alcohol is involved. I have been to some bars where people looked like they wanted to imitate the fighters after they were over.

7. Moufwash

Moufwash New Member

May 26, 2009
    Prairie Village
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i hate watching UFC in bars, its crowded, and if you have friends that are into it, it ends up costing more money than if you threw in together for the PPV and drank beer at a house.

but I want to go to the watch party...

8. jtreg

jtreg Member

Aug 16, 2010
    State of denial
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I hate watching UFC in bars for is there's always a hand full of dudes, liquored up, aggro, and acting like children that just saw the Karate Kid for the first time and have to show off their moves. "Let me SHOW you an arm bar!"

9. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the new Karate Kid with my daughter not too long ago and she was doing Karate moves for like a month. I had her sit down and watch the original.

The funny thing is that I think the new one might actually be better than the old. I had completely forgotten there was a 2 and 3 too. I have them in my Netflix queue now.

Sorry, back on topic.

10. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the same thing as well. But nostalgia usually trumps quality. I will always favor the original.

SKC 2 - 1 CHIVAS

11. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Could I just say one more time that when I see "SKC" I do not yet relate to it? I seriously see it and think "what team is that?"

I'll get there, eventually...

13. TheSmokingPun

TheSmokingPun Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another question: I'm usually not downtown for anything(no friends live down there anymore) and I'm tired of paying the $2 at P&L every time I'm there for a watch party. I keep hearing of free meter parking, where all does that work at?

14. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's the parking on the street. you'll have to walk a block or two, but it's good for ya.

15. TheSmokingPun

TheSmokingPun Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't mind the walking at all, love it in fact. Just tired of the nickel and diming they nail ya with. Thanks man!

16. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The MAX is also an option... costs $3 round trip, but with the gas it saves you it's not that expensive. Google maps says that my trip (75th and Wornall (Main MAX) or 75th and Troost (Troost MAX)) takes ~20 minutes by car and ~30 minutes by bus, so it's a bit longer as well... but still a good option.

17. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Is this game a "must win"??? (I couldn't resist.)

Seriously though, I'd been saying all along that we need to come back from the road trip with 10 points. Then this week MLSsoccer.com had an article about home field advantage and said that based on the past results if we could get more than 10 points from the road trip we would likely make the playoffs based on historical home points per game. I say we start with 3 points tomorrow and then we need to get three in Chicago because I think Chicago is going to suck and you don't want to lose your only game at a poor sides house.

18. TheSmokingPun

TheSmokingPun Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in the Northland, but I'm right by the Boardwalk depot. I'll have to see if they'll have a late night bus for tomorrow night.

19. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Im with you, we could REALLY use a hot start. Moreso than most seasons because we have what could be weaker teams at the start of the schedule though. I don't know how Chivas is going to do, but I'm thinking right now that they'll be better.

20. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree, I said when the schedule was announced that 10 would be a good total. Getting 3 tomorrow would be a very good start.

21. Wizardman03

Wizardman03 Member

Nov 10, 2003
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonna be tough missing three players to international duty. Here's hoping Bunbury is 100% fit.

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's for the Chicago game, and I'd say right now only one of them is a guaranteed starter.

23. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad I didn't say that. :)

24. turkas

turkas New Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Lawrence
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what I've been thinking, getting at least 4 points out of our first two games would be huge.

25. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    with four more games and two more playoff spots, anyone know if the "40 point" mark seems to remain the bottom line for playoff consideration or has that changed due to some math I don't want to work out?