News: SKC and 7 other MLS sides are in the USOC. Is this our best chance at a trophy in 2024?

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by mschofield, Mar 2, 2024.

1. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Looking at the structure of this year's open cup, I have to think this thing is there to be won. We are not going to be Supporter's Shield winners, unlikely to be MLS Cup winners, and the odds are much, much longer in the thing with LigaMX.

But this is a cup with mostly USL, MLS Next and lower clubs, plus only SKC, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, LAFC, RSL, San Jose and Seattle.
    Those are good MLS clubs, and I don't say we will be favorites. But it seems very possible, and far and away the easiest path to silverware.
    The Athletic breaks it down, for those who subscribe.

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, you have to win just 5 games.

3. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So all in on the USOC? Rest people on the weekends before matches (maybe not full rest of limit time)?

4. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Open Cup was already a joke with MLS teams not even trying until quarterfinals. Now its ridiculous.

I'm sure if SKC win Peter and the gang will claim its the equivalent of UEFA champions league

5. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Obviously the Open Cup is far less valuable than MLS Cup (the value of which has never been higher, since the Leagues Cup is siphoning off the Champions Cup)... But I'd take it in a heartbeat. Would make this the best season in almost a decade.

Since we seem destined to not be title contenders, I'm here for realistic silverware goals.

lukeD repped this.
  6. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with take but realize it is the logic of provincial squads. Cements our transformation from league leader to Empoli or West Ham.

Kooth repped this.
  7. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's also one of the best opportunities for non-MLS team to win the Cup.

mschofield repped this.
  8. Kooth

Kooth Member

Sporting KC
    Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be happy if they painted the wall this year.

9. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the 2nd round was played last night it's getting close enough to kind of "look ahead" and see what might happen with the draw. First I kind of matched up the 16 winners from the 2nd round to the USL Championship teams entering the 3rd round and it somewhat matches up geographically ... 7 "western" winners and 7 new entrants from USLC. 9 "eastern" winners and 9 "entrants". The thing that's really tough is the round of 32 when SKC joins. There are 12 "western" entrants (I include SKC with this) to match up with the 7 round 3 western winners. and only 4 "eastern" entrants" to match up with the 9 3rd round eastern winners. I think this obviously pushes SKC (along with 2 Texas teams and who knows what else).

The good part of this is it likely gives us a "new" USOC matchup. I had FC Tulsa, Union Omaha, Memphis and Chicago Fire 2 all in the "west" so I think we're going to be pushed even further East than those teams "potentially".

mschofield repped this.
  10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not saying it won't as it likely will, but we could get pushed further east even. I'd lean towards the North though. I think the 3 Texas teams, Colorado Springs and even Real Salt Lake could be handed all of the Midwest.

12. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Austin’s out already, but yes North is an option too with no Cincinnati or Columbus.

13. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I was counting San Antonio as one of the 3 Texas teams entering in the round of 32. There are just so many teams in the group entering the round of 32 that are west of the Mississippi. Texas teams could end up coving the southeast (and Atlanta going further north). It really depends though, you could see a Salt Lake having to go to Hartford or something like that since it's so unbalanced geographically.