SJEQ Local TV/Radio deals?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Mr. Bandwagon, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So...seems like we must be pretty close to announcing our local broadcast deal(s), eh? Anyone know what stations, or what announcers?

According to the Quakes' schedule on MLSnet.com, April 30th @ RSL is the first match that will not be broadcast nationally by one of the MLS TV partners. That's less than two weeks away.

Anyone hear anything from a little birdy or something? Would love to have John Shrader back in the fold, and what about a radio show, or even a regular podcast?

If there's a thread on this subject already feel free to move it.

2. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of the games that aren't on national TV will be on Comcast Sports Net Bay Area. They haven't made a press release, but it has said so on schedules they hand out and John Shrader said on-air during a Sharks game that they will be starting on May 3.

That's a US Open Cup game, probably won't be on TV.

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There should be an official announcement soon, as explained in more detail here.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

4. Timbers

Timbers Member

Aug 14, 2003
    San Francisco
    Nothing like waiting until the last minute..... the club has gotten a slow start on a few aspects of their marketing program.

This is important because a lot of people in the Bay Area still don't know that we have a team. In terms of local exposure, it probably would have been better to show the Colorado game on local TV, rather than FSC. (Meanwhile, I think CSN is showing taped programming at that time).

Also: they could provide local coverage of the New York game on CSN (most teams provide local English-language coverage of the Telefutura games). The same goes for most of the HDNet games (most of us can't get that channel).

5. Since1974

Since1974 New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Downtown San Jose
    It is SO true that if the games are only on FSC and CSN only the people who know to look will find them. Having a KNTV or something would make such a BIG difference. It's also too bad they couldn't get a local radio deal. I know KLOK is en espanol but I'm not sure that audience is interested in the Quakes.

6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully that'll be address when the official CSNBA/CSNBA-HD schedule is finally announced.

That's an interesting point, especially considering that not all of the FSC and HDNet Quakes games this season are exclusive just to those channels.

-G

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    John Miller is involved with the Giants so I know he isn't available. I'd loveto have Bob Ray, Hal Ramey or John Shrader back to calling games. I think the color man that was calling matches with Ramey in 96 for KICU was Mark Demling but I herd he got a divorce and moved away. I think Chris Dangerfield is still around coaching in the Super Y league....

8. TheQuakesRockMySocks

Dec 20, 2007
    BlogVille, CA
    Do you guys know if they are going to show this on that station in Sacramento?

Like back in the day, Fox Sports Bay Area would cover the Warriors, and they would advertise it here, than not show the games.

Anyone know if they will do the former, or latter?

Yes, I know big words.

9. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    John Shrader will very likely be calling the play-by-play. :)

-G

10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I've heard, everything that's shown on CSNBA/CSNBA-HD in the Bay Area except for Golden State Warriors games is also shown in the Sacramento Area (this was true in the FSNBA/FSNBA-HD days too), just as everything shown on CSN West in the Sacramento area is also shown in the Bay Area except for Sacramento Kings games.

There should be no problem with San Jose Earthquakes CSNBA/CSNBA-HD games being available in the Sacramento area. :)

-G

11. TheQuakesRockMySocks

Dec 20, 2007
    BlogVille, CA
    thanks Goodsport, that's awesome news! Now if they would only advertise around here, maybe some of our 1.5 million people would know the Quakes are back.

Go Quakes!

12. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad I could help. :)

Hopfully ESLLC will soon.

-G

13. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand why the F.O. doesn't have some prime-time ads on the major non-cable networks, i.e., ABC, NBC and CBS (and any others they would like to throw in).

14. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It does seem odd that from a media & marketing sense, little seems to happening in terms of getting the word about the Quakes out there.

I am sure there is plenty of work being done, but I worry that the lack of general exposure, the logistics of getting into & out of Shaw, the high ticket prices and the lack of winning are going to add up to some disappointing crowds.

Lee

15. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would imagine they will do some advertising, but TV ads on network stations probably cost a fair amount of money. For a large market like tyhe bay area, this is even more true. If they blow a million clams on TV ads for the Buckshaw opener, then they might not have any marketing budget left for the rest of the season and people will bitch and moan that they stopped advertising after one week.

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Here is a 10 year old article I found on Mark Demling former NASL Quake & Clash TV announcer. He recently divorced his wife and she remarried I believe while he moved back to St. Louis. His ex wife was a Shaker for the Quakes in the 70's..

check out the 10 year old article...
    http://www.latc.com/1998/08/10/sports/sports5.html