SJ v NY (Salazar) [R]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by GlennAA11, Apr 14, 2012.

1. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
  2. bluetooner

bluetooner Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Carteret NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

I would end Marquez's season for that. Not even the first time he's done stuff like that. No excuses - but since he is a NJPC player, it'll probably be nothing.

3. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    very, very unfortunate. I'm hoping for a long suspension.

4. Errol V

Errol V Member+

Mar 30, 2011
    Wow. How do people like that get back on the field? I don't get it.

I am on the DC for our local rec league, and I've ended coaches' seasons for far less than that.

5. bluetooner

bluetooner Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Carteret NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Just saw some of the other highlights - the SJ player should have been RC for his lunge too. I'd like to think that Salazar will be sanctioned for his performance - but we'll get the 'didn't see it properly' responses i bet.

6. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    You mean that scissor tackle from behind? I couldn't believe how angry Chavez was about that one. An obvious, dangerous foul. Salazar went yellow. I think that one will definitely be a suspension. But I wonder if the DC isn't bailing out referees who don't sanction these things correctly during the match by subsequent suspension after the fact. You would think the referees would start getting the message that the league wants a send off for these fouls.

7. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1st time I saw it - Oh thats red
    1st replay - Oh, I guess its a yellow
    2nd replay - Actually that was a red

Maybe its easier to give yellows and let the DC do the dirty work.

8. bluetooner

bluetooner Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Carteret NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Yup that one - it was almost 2-footed in that he was completely off the ground too. I wonder how much of that tackle is due to escalation from earlier in the game, the Salinas thing and a few other "meaty challenges" that may not have made the highlights.

I think the worst thing about it all is the fact that Marquez is acting all innocent like he didn't do anything, then accused the guy of diving later.

9. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It never changes with Marquez. Always the same. The guy is clearly mentally unstable. Every year he does something to hurt people with intent. I would throw the book at him for 10 games.

10. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now is a very good oportunity for the MLS to show where it stands... this type of intentional plays shouldnt exist in this league. :mad:

11. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chavez tackle was 100% red in my book. Though given how vehement the protests were from SJ just for yellow, in match context, I bet it would have been a tough call for Salazar to make. And, the DC point is one I've made elsewhere and one which I hope is not true, but might be part of the subconscious.

Marquez was 100% red VC and a penalty. Though I agree that you might give him more games because of history, I do disagree with the implication that this was a 10-game sort of suspension. It's a kick-out. Yes, it's dirty. But that's a pretty standard 3-game VC suspension in most places throughout the world. You want to tack on an extra game or two because of his history? Fine. But 10 games? Or the season? I don't see it.

12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    It's not just the kick out. It's the NFL style jump on the guy's back and drive him into the ground tackle. That is not a "soccer play" in any way, shape or form. The kick is just the icing on the cake. And it seems clear that the DC takes into account past history as well as injury inflicted.

14. MrRC

MrRC Member

Jun 17, 2009
    It continues to surprise me that CR's seem to be unaware that Marquez is an a$$. He needs to be watched constantly. Just look at what he did during the playoffs last season against the LA Galaxy. He has no honor and is an embarrassment to the league and the sport. It is unfortunate that the MLS didn't ban him for about six months after he pulled that garbage.

Some may also recall him being sent-off in a US/Mexico WC qualifier for a dirty kick to an opponent.

The fact is that he has done this for years and isn't going to change.

15. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough, but let's remember that though I agree Marquez is fouling him, attackers are more prone to go down in situations like this. I'm not sure I'd classify it as an "NFL style" takedown. I think Marquez wrapped him up, the attacker knew he wasn't free to move and fell forward with the force of Marquez on his back. Still absolutely a foul. But I don't think he threw him to the ground with force.

16. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The NYRB announcers were commenting that Marquez wasn't even trying to play the ball but had his arms wrapped around a player on every corner kick. Salazar or the fourth ref should have already noticed this.

Ramiro Corrales does not simulate. I don't think you can watch that video and suggest that he was calling for a foul. He was clearly hurting, and not claiming it was anyone's fault. The card just reflects that Salazar felt as though the match had fallen out of his control at that point.

Henry also had a studs-up attack on Wondo was that called for a foul but nothing else. The question of preferential treatment for DPs comes up again vis a vis this game.

17. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    As a Red Bull fan, I was dissapointed that the team brought him back this season, so this was not shocking to see at all. I may be mistaken, but Bernardez' elbow on GK Meara seconds later is in my opinion a retaliation foul as there is no chance he's getting a header on that play (how he injures his MCL there is beyond me).

Some other thoughts:

• The Chavez tackle on Miller should have been a red, in my opinion.

• If Wondolowski does not jump out of the way at the last second on Henry's two footed lunge/slide, he's out for a long time.

• It's not on the MLS site, but I thought a PK should have been called on Jason Hernandez' for charging into McCarty late in the match.

• Nice job by AR Lowry on Kenny Cooper's goal as most of the 'Quakes were rippping into him, claiming it was offside.

18. MrRC

MrRC Member

Jun 17, 2009
  19. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
  20. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd have no trouble with Chavez getting a red for the dangerousness of the challenge even though he got the ball...if Henry got a red for his two-footed studs upper to Wondo. But Henry is one of MLS' pet players so he's given a free pass to do anything he wants.
    And of course Marquez should have been sent off. The reason it should be a 10 game ban is because Clark got 9 for kicking Ruiz in the head. This is a deliberate kick to the head after tackling the player and it resulted in injury. Deliberating kicking someone in the head is worst type of offense because if he'd have broken his skull instead of his collarbone, the consequences can be a lot worse than just missing 2-3 months. It's far worse than a head butt.

21. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Really? Did you see how MLS and referee's treated him last year? They laid into him pretty good, and rightfully so imo.

If someone has some video of the Henry tackle, I would be interested in seeing it.

22. Alan S

Alan S Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Marquez is looking right at Salinas when he delivers the kick to the shoulder. It wasn't momentum and it wasn't an accident, the kick was deliberate. His intent to injure is quite clear and cold-blooded. The corner kick was just used as cover disguise his intent to injure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Alan S

Alan S Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    MLS, you have your Pepe.

25. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Maybe the Eurosnobs will finally start respecting our league?