SJ/LA Home Leg Media Monitor [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Spartacus, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    I think I managed to catch all the local post game coverage. Here's how it grades out:

KTVU-2 - Joe Fonzi obviously wasn't ready for a match of this magnitude. He had himself locked into a 5-minute segment with Joe Montana and didn't clear sufficient space to tell the whole story. Still, he did show highlight of Faria's Golden Goal and pumped the fact that we're home to KC next Saturday night.
    GRADE: B-

KRON-4
    - God love Vernon Glenn...in a relatively short sportscast he tried to explain the playoff format and the context of the match before going to the highlights...and, of course his mind was boggled by the details as are we all. Outstanding highlight package included Vagenas' goal to make the aggregate 0-4, Roner's goal to tie at 4, and Faria's Golden Goal. The highlights were running too fast for him and he mispronounced every player's name...but that's OK. Then he packaged Landon's post-game comments with highlights of his goal as well...then pumped Saturday night's Conference Final.
    GRADE: A-...read the pronouncers in the media packet and you get an A

KPIX-5 - Dennis O'Donnell has a 30-minute Sunday sportscast and treated the game like an afterthought. He buried the game highlights behind Bull Riding highlights! Only highlighted the Faria Golden Goal. However, KPIX was the only station to run all 3 MLS results on its lower-screen crawl...but didn't put any of the other matches in context.
    GRADE: D+

KGO-7
    - Given their past ignorance of the home side, this was a step-up performance. Mike Shumann's highlight package included both Roner & Faria's goals (again, both names were mispronounced), and he did pump next Saturday's Conference Final. Plus, their lower-screen crawl ran the score and the result of the series, the only station to do that.
    GRADE: B+ - showing great improvement.

KNTV-11 - Raj Mathai is a straight clown. As documented in other threads, he spent much of his Sports Sunday show buffooning with outgoing SF Mayor Willie Brown (on a sports show?) and mugging with former 49er Ronnie Lott. In the show's final segment he tried to get to the story ("a great game at Spartan Stadium...and we mean it") but didn't leave himself enough time to tell it -- he began to run through the playoff context, but by the time he looked at his highlight monitor Faria was scoring the Golden Goal and he had to cut the rap short. He did get in a good snipe at the "confusing" playoff system, and also did mention the Saturday Conference Final. But burying the story that deep loses points with us.
    GRADE: C-

But boy did those confetti cannons look good on the highlights of the Golden Goal.

2. quakesfan10

quakesfan10 New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    I only got to check out FOX, NBC and KRON but yeah, out of all of those, I agree with Spartacus that KRON had the best coverage. It was sad that he mispronounced everyone's name, but hey, I didn't CARE, I was too HAPPY!!!

3. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    FSW MLS report: Both Whellock and Harkes cannot pronounce Roner's name, othwise, I think Harkes used the word "brilliant" about 15 times when referring to Yallop and the boys.....plus Onstad getting "Save of the Week" for the double save on the goal line from Ruiz & Califf"....

4. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Memo to Jed Mettee:

Invite all Bay Area sports anchors to lunch with Roner & Faria and have them sit around an learn to pronounce their names. Invite Wheelock & Harkes if you must.

5. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too few highlights from the Quakes - Galaxy game. There was so much action, they could have shown twice as many. But I do realize it was the late match, and they had little time to prepare those highlights. This was the only return leg not shown on FSW or espn2. I'd love to see them broadcast the entire game.

Be sure to visit the FSW site to vote for the Agoos goal as "Goal of the Week." (Faria's inexplicably didn't make the final four.) I'd hate to see Vagenas get it...

http://www.foxsportsworld.com/named/FSW/Soccer/MLS/showPage

6. helmet

helmet New Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Jose
  7. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm curious, how'd they say it? Cuz his family says Row-near. Chris doesn't like that and wants to be called Rohn-yay.

8. quakesfan10

quakesfan10 New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    disregard this post..it was a double post. sorry!

9. quakesfan10

quakesfan10 New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Most of the tv stattions called him Row-ner. Isn't there an accent on the "e" of his name? Sometimes I see an accent, sometimes not.

10. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    There is an accent there...and indeed Chris likes "roan-YAY". Each of the TV stations and FSW MLS Wrap went with ROW-ner (rhymes with "Groaner"). Most local TV stations also mispronounced Rodrigo's name as "FAIR-ee-uh".

11. europa1057

europa1057 New Member

Jul 24, 2002
    California
    We watched the MLS report from the Brit - didn't hear the sound (have to catch it later this week), but watching the goals all over again with a bunch of fans and players was great - just as I was getting tired and ready to go home, I was all pumped again. The players were staring at the tv with big grins on their faces, especially Faria. I still have a big goofy grin on my face too. :)

12. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Isn't "ROW-ner" Chris' nickname, though? Could've sworn I've heard other Quakes call him that before.

13. mike mcclellan

mike mcclellan New Member

Sep 19, 2002
    San Jose
    Early this morning on KNBR's morning show, someone called in and mentioned that the real story was the Quakes amazing win. To their credit, the morning team did not allow Chris Townsend to get on his high horse about "Real Sports". They went on to mention that they'd had Landon on a week or so ago and that he sounded like a nice guy. Then they went into a five minute segment on the possibility of Landon kicking for the 49ers.

The station is giving away tickets to an SJSU football game in two weeks. I emailed the Quakes this morning suggesting that, given the bandwagon mentality of most Bay Area sports fans, they should do whatever it takes to put together ticket giveaways to Sat Night's game. (Maybe get OSH involved and do some giveaway packages with a ticket, "Think MLS Cup" t-shirt and a rally towel")

One of the best things about the win was seeing the players (Faria and Russell?) pumping the fans up at the start of OT. Absolutely electrifying experience. And at the end of the game, no one wanted to leave. Introduce more casual fans to that kind of experience and you'll win 'em over for life.

14. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: SJ/LA Home Leg Media Monitor [R]

Yeah, I've heard the guys call him that. They also call him Bones.

15. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Oh, yeah...KRTY did something like that this morning too...in their little rip-and-read top-of-the-hour newscasts this morning...

"in sports the Raiders lost, BUT THE EARTHQUAKES CAME FROM BEHIND TO WIN THEIR PLAYOFF GAME, HOW ABOUT THAT?!?" They did try to sound truly amazed by the enormity of it all...

16. quakesfan10

quakesfan10 New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah the towels really added a nice touch. I'm thinking we should bring them on Saturday because it was great seeing them on tv!

17. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His mother told me that it should be pronounced: "Row-nyair," not "Row-nyay." There can be differences in families on how they pronounce their names, however. ;)

18. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Well "Row-nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah".

Kids these days...

19. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He was always pretty much "boner" to us over the past season, but after that goal, I'll call him whatever he wants!!!

20. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Hmm, I've always thought, with my limited knowledge of French, his name should be pronounced "Row-NAY", if it's of French origin. If there's really an accent on the e, then maybe it's French. It looks like it could be of German origin too, in which case I think it would probably be more like "ROW-ner". If it's of Spanish origin, it could actually be something like "Row-NYAIR", like his mother says, but I think there'd need to be a tilde on the "n". Otherwise, it'd be something like Row-NAIR.

Or maybe it's not French, German, or Spanish, but something else. In any case, I think Chris's family can choose any pronunciation they want and that's the way people should say it. But I like to try to trace the origin and try to find out how it was originally pronounced.
    I think that's actually pretty close, except for the accent, but my guess, again with very limited knowledge of Portuguese, is that it's something like "Fah-REE-uh". Is that how you pronounce it?

21. quakesfan10

quakesfan10 New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah I'm pretty sure that that's how to pronounce his last name.

22. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp On today's KNTV Channel 11 (cable channel 3) 6pm sportscast, Raj Mathai not only mentioned the Quakes' comeback win against LA, but even showed several highlights. Then just as the broadcast was about to end, fellow anchorwoman Lisa Kim mentioned how the Earthquakes are currently Bay Area sports' "only bright spot", to which Mathai replied "The lone bright spot!"

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Wow... I never thought I'd live to see the day that a local media outlet would publicly admit that, even if it's actually been true for quite some time. :eek:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

23. quakesfan10

quakesfan10 New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Man I would have liked to have seen that! Anyways nice to see the Earthquakes getting the recognition they deserve!

24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I hope that it continues! :D

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

25. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God Save the Republic and the San Jose Earthquakes! :) Recognition at last!