SJ Chamber breakfast: Saint Lew talks about his stadiums

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Airblair, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Airblair

Airblair Member

Dec 8, 1999
    Redwood City
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not actually there, but this blog did a live play-by-play of Lew Wolff's appearance in front of the San Jose Chamber of Commerce breakfast this morning. His notes on Wolff's comments are a little shorthanded, but you get the jist of what Wolff is saying:

There's more stuff about soccer at the link I posted above.

The takeaways from this:

--Again, the current market turmoil will not kill this stadium. (He's said that before.) It'll just take a little longer to make it happen.

--He is a believer in the sport.

--What is up with that last statement about new income streams for the A's? If they're going to take money from the A's and apply it to the Quakes, that only bodes well for us.

2. Since1974

Since1974 New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Downtown San Jose
    I was there and talked to Lew beforehand. He said they've hired the William Morris Agency to find a stadium naming sponsor. He said they've completed the design phase and it's a 15K with "stands as close to the action as possible." :D Yes, it's "no-frills" but it likely won't be used for concerts because he says there appears to be no market for that right now. He does hope it can have other uses but he's not finding them right now. Says the city is doing a great job of working with him (he's pulling his hair out over Fremont) and hopes to make some kind of progress this year but can't say anything about a groundbreaking. However, he's really excited about it.

3. OffMyLine

OffMyLine Member

Nov 30, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the update guys! Rep to you both.

4. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like good news all around on the Quakes front. And that bit about the A's possibly providing revenue streams to the Quakes sounds interesting.

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except for it supposedly being a 15k and having few luxury boxes. :(

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

6. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not new news though. And it's only bad if you thought we needed more than 15k ;) (which with the grass berm we have already with space for about 18k). And as for luxury boxes, why would we need more than a few? Soccer isn't a luxury box sport, not if you're trying to attract real long term fans.

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully John Fisher will eventually pull through and we at least get the compromise of a $80-100 million (perhaps even $60-$80 million?), 18k-20k minimum permanent capacity stadium we can be proud of that'd at least be no worse than any other SSS in the league (save perhaps Red Bull Arena) and still have a bigger capacity than the city's indoor arena.

It's not your or my or Lew Wolff's or anyone else's place to tell fans how to watch a soccer game so long as it doesn't interfere with other fans' viewing.

If there are people out there who want to watch a live San Jose Earthquakes game in a luxury box (and even in this economy, much less in whatever shape the economy will be in by the time The Epicenter opens, I'll bet you a shotglass of beer [​IMG] that there are more than you may think) and are willing to pay handsomely for it, then they shouldn't be denied that experience.

And luxury boxes in no way, shape or form interfere with the "fan experience" of the rest of the fans in the stadium, to boot.

-G

8. OffMyLine

OffMyLine Member

Nov 30, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is that this means more international soccer at the Coliseum.

Wolff's organization has found out they're pretty good at packing that place.
    4 international friendlies a year could outdraw the entire Quakes season.

El Tri v Japan, Inter v Pachuca, Club America v Tottenham, Costa Rica v USA would easily draw 160K.

9. Since1974

Since1974 New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Downtown San Jose
    Lew wasn't talking about "few" luxury boxes. He implied there would be none. He said luxury boxes are "a thing of the past" in his words. Regarding the stadium size, he said the design is completed and it will be 15K.

10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that's true, then there's really not much (if any) reason for me to look forward to the eventual move from Buck Shaw Stadium to The Epicenter. :(

-G

11. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goodsport, out of curiousity, why would the lack of luxury boxes impact your view of the game at the new stadium? I know you wouldn't be sitting in one. So really why does it matter? And I'm being serious here, I've never understood how having X number of seats or X number of luxury boxes has any impact on how someone would view a game at the new stadium. Particularly after what we learned last year with less being more when a stadium is near sold out.

12. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Half the greatness of the new stadium is having a new stadium owned by the team. It's as much symbolic as it is aesthetic.

13. TrepX

TrepX New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Redwood City
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think having nice bucket seats all around and something to call our own is something to look forward to.

14. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    He's exactly right. I think he's been reading my posts. Luxury boxes are so 1980's. In their place: simplicity, elegance of design, practicality, modesty, efficiency, and eco-friendliness.

15. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, what happened to Captain Positive? The single force who said the Quakes would never move?

Sorry, I would have to say that you would be hard pressed to find pressed to find many people who think luxary boxes are in the top five (hell probably top ten) items needed in a new stadium...

16. Via_Chicago

Via_Chicago Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention that a new stadium would ensure that the Earthquakes stay in San Jose. Look, as much as Wolff and Fisher may love the team and the city, they didn't get to where they are by taking losses year-in/year-out. They're not Russian oligarchs, Oil princes, or exiled Prime Ministers. They're businessmen who know a thing or two about making smart investments. Buck Shaw, Spartan, you name it, is not a smart investment. Owning all of your revenue streams is.

And really Goodsport, given your proclivities for hyperbole, this one really takes the cake. You'd take Buck Shaw over a) a larger stadium, b) a stadium the team owns, c) a stadium you can drink beer in, and d) a stadium with beautiful sightlines as close to the pitch as possible?

17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luxury boxes are definitely important (if they're such "a thing of the past", then why is he including them in Cisco Field? :rolleyes: ), but my main points of contention are the reported 15k capacity and the earlier-reported $40-$60 million budget.

Wolff already stated before that he's looking at BMO Field as a model for at least some of The Epicenter's design. If there's any MLS SSS not to be modeled after, it's BMO Field (as well as Columbus Crew Stadium)... though The Ep's currently reported capacity and budget easily makes those two stadiums seem like Red Bull Arena by comparison. :(

-G

18. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I was also thinking the international matches at the Coliseum was "subsidizing" Earthquakes' operations.

As for international matches featuring USMNT, I doubt we'd get many of those here in the Bay Area anyways (esp. WCQ's that really mean something). It'd be tough to get a real home field advantage unless you're playing someone like Cuba, and as more our our players ply their trades in Europe it's a long haul to fly them over to California for one game.

19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Wouldn't be surpised if those plans for "boxes" at Cisco are significantly scaled back. But baseball is a dinosaur sport, so you will more likely see dinosaur things like luxury boxes in baseball stadiums.

20. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because baseball is America's "pastime".:p

But, seriuosly, it is probably much easier to sell luxury boxes to corporations when they know they will have at least 81 opportunities to utilize them, compared to 15 for soccer. And let's face it, baseball is still a more popular spectator sport in this country. Chances are, clients would be more interested in seeing the best baseball players in the world, as opposed to average soccer players.

21. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. This will be our football ground.

22. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I am just hoping Goodsie doesn't go all buddhist monk self-immolation in front of Quakes headquarters after stadium renderings come out and don't show a roof.

23. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    It's funny 'cause I saw some quotes from Lew recently where he was saying something to the effect that soccer's a sport that you really need to pay full attention to to appreciate, whereas baseball, not so much. I think he was mentioning that in the context of "you don't need boxes for soccer". For baseball, maybe you go mix drinks in the bar between innings or something, as the fat, out-of-shape juiced players plod to and from the dugouts.

24. Tifoso

Tifoso Moderator
    Staff Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Feb 24, 2007
    northern California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I know you were kidding, but I see basketball slipping and baseball. too (after Steroidgate, especially with another roider chasing a HR record)

Maybe this is the time for soccers move here.

25. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:

Not according to David Alioto.

-G