Sixto, NT players, strategies and goals (R)

Discussion in 'Ecuador' started by Cris 09, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    A new coach and an end to the Colombian Era. First off, Thanks to Maturana, Gomez and Suarez.

But now let's look forward. Mendez called it quits and some media sources are already finding new ways to throw off this new period into a frenzy with claims of cliques amonst the NT players.

Who will take over for the old guard and what style of play will Vizuete use to turn this team around?

Discuss...

2. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    excellent segway to this topic......

this is a process and if Sixto can keep his job, we'll be looking at a bunch of new players coming in through the ranks in the next 2 years, these are very exciting times for ecuafutbol

3. yoryi

yoryi Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Boogie Down BRONX!
    Just finished watching Tiro Libre and by the looks of things.El cuerpo tecnico is not that crazy about naturalizados.The commentator(I forgot his name,,not the old guy) said that it looks like Rorys Aragon and Banguera will be the keepers for the NT.I'm all for that,,,I think Rorys has improved very much and needs another chance to prove himself in la sele!

4. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I guess the biggest concern is weather or not the NT can have a smooth transition in the incorporation of the younger players while still being able to accumulate enough pints to qualify for 2010!

I am still not sure how to feel about Vizuete's coming on as coach but my worry is; will he not be able to produce immediate results that will A) eliminate us early on the road to South Africa? B) get fired before anyone can actually see if the effects of the NT rebuilding process?

We all know that the press and the population's opinion do have some weight and I am afraid that if there is a string of poor results (every NT out there has them during a transition period) then the building process will simply end with Sixto being fired by the FEF due to pressure from public opinion and the media.

So, if Ecuador's road to recovery turns for the worst, does Sixto stay to continue his job or does he go?

England fans are saying, "Not qualifying for the Euro is the best thing that could have happened to England".

5. viagoal

viagoal Member

Jan 5, 2005
    with Suarez in WCQ we were 0W-3L -10 gol diff.:eek:

we cut that difference with Vizuetes new leadership
    Ecu 5 Peru 1 ... Now we're 1w- 3l -5 gol diff.

Viz also just got back from coaching an Ecuador sub 20 team that beat Mexico's s23 1-0 in Mexico .
    he led EcuadorS23 to become PanAm Olympic Gold Medal Champions in 2007. First time in our history Ecuador NT is champions in futbol .

Vizuete was the logical choice.

6. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I hope you're right. Then again, playing against a Brazil or Argentina that have team members that are used to winning the UEFA CL or the Copa Libertadores or the Serie A is not the same as playing the teenagers from Brazil and Argentina!

Vizuete has his work cut out for him!

7. loraz

loraz New Member

May 12, 2005
    I'm the first to say that change does not happen over night, but that does not apply with Vizuete. The Change is there. Now we will wait and see how this era is right as rain.

This is going to be such a good summer.

:)

8. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The change is there...100% agree. But is the patience from most fans, media and FEF there to allow it to happen without disrupting the flow no matter what the immediate results might be? That will be the question.

I say; Let him work, give him time!

9. D.I.M

D.I.M Member

May 17, 2004
    Woodridge, NJ
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Just wanted to give you guys some outside perspective.

First things first, best of luck in the WCQ, except when you play us Colombia, then worst of luck to you :)

I feel that Vicente doesn't have the depth to be a national team coach. He hasn't played finals in any category, except the Panamerican games. He hasn't had to deal with players who think they're gods. He hasn't had that experience of being in Copa Libertadores, playing finals in Ecuador, playing WCQ for minor league teams even. All of those things make such a huge difference for a coach. He's the head of the team, he's the one that needs to know what to do in those tough moments.

I also think that he shuold not necesarily come in a change everything at once. That could hurt Ecuador more than it could help. Basically because the "old" system was working to an extent so that's a good thing. If he wants to give Ecuador a new identity it will take a lot of time and WCQ is not the place to make those changes. You have to transition into those changes.

As far the result of 5 -0 against Peru, that is very misleading in my opinion.
    Ahi hay gato encerrado.
    Misleading cause there were other things behind curtains that we don't know about. I feel that there was a consensus to take Suarez out. That's just my personal opinion and not based on facts. bhut you can't lose by 5 and then win by 5 in my opinion. A coach cannot affect a team in 2 days. I could be wrong though.

A change of players with younger blood will hurt Ecuador even more because now you have inexperienced players with an inexperienced coach trying to get to a world cup.

I know a paint a very dark picture. I hope that I'm proven wrong, but time will tell.

We'll see in June what really goes down.

10. yoryi

yoryi Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Boogie Down BRONX!
    Vizuete is not new to this,,even though he's just getting to be known,the man has been around for a good minute.Like in the movies you only see the actors and directors,but the rest of the cast you don't see.Vizuete(also todo el cuerpo tecnico que esta con el)has been incognito en selecciones nacionales en todas las categorias and has been in the game long enough to understand the game.He got his training in Germany.Ok so he might not have all the experience you say,,Libertadores etc,etc,but you have start somewhere.
    And you are talking about dealing with ballers who think they are goods,,,well for your info the man already has some work to do with Edison Mendez.And the man never said he will dramatic changes,,,he only said he was going to try to mix new blood with old blood and that everyone who has condiciones will get a lick at the NT,including ballers that never got a chance while under Suarez's watch.Ballers who needed to be en la selec,but somehow Suarez los margino por some unknown reasons.
    Suarez ya la venia cagando desde hace un buen rato and needed to go.It's to bad la it took la FEF forever to see this.

11. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You paint a dark picture but it is also a very real one. I don't think Sixto had much of a hand in Ecuador's win over Peru either. It's not that a team can lose 5-0 and then win 5-0...yes, it happens a lot in this game. Especially when you compare the first to playing Paraguay in Asuncionl and the next game is Peru in Quito - it can happen! However, Peru was missing starters and they tried to experiment on what they thought would be a pushover team. I think Peru's poor preparation had more to do with Vizuete as well.

As far as coaching in the big time...true, that is a good point. Klinsmann never coached in his life but he led a very young German team to 3rd place in 2006. The difference? He had experienced those emotions as a player and captain for the NT.

Grant is having the same problems with Chelsea. A squad full of star players, but when the going gets tough, he has no idea of hoow to read a game to change tactics...Chelsea's demise is their non-experienced coach.

Vizuete, not my first choice, but I hope for the sake of the NT that he proves me wrong!

12. D.I.M

D.I.M Member

May 17, 2004
    Woodridge, NJ
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Entiendo totalmente la idea de que Suarez la haya cagado y que su cyclo haya terminado.

No conozco mucho del medio local es cierto, pero en general para manejar un seleccion se necesita alguien de bagaje eso va a ser importante a la hora de enfrentar rivales fuertes como lo son Argentina, Brazil, y Paraguay.

Las ideas que mencionaste parecen super bien para alguien que empieza. Yo como dirigente hubiera escogido alguien que conozca el medio local que presente un plan de trabajo a largo plazo y ojala y sea nacional. Creo que deben haber tecnicos en Ecuador que puedan dirigir el equipo.

En resumidas cuentas es beno que se haya dado el paso para un nuevo tecnico pero la experiencia de estar al mando creo que le va a pesar mucho cuando enfrente a los grandes.

Se ve que le tienen fe a Vicente.

Ojala y les responda.

saludos

13. viagoal

viagoal Member

Jan 5, 2005
    Vizuete knows how to deal with players who put themselves ahead of the team. He knows that selfishness destroys team spirit. That was his philosophy vs. Peru that day.

Mendez may not have like that idea, but he scored 2 gols that day and played as a team player. our NT players that day were playing as a team. Benitez, WAyovi, Quiroz... Defending, unselfishly Passing the ball and only shooting on gol when appropriate to do so was the key to that victory... ;)

Forgive me for being such an optomist. :p

14. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    the glass must always be half full

15. jv9008

jv9008 Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
  16. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Gentemen, Please don't take this comment as me trying to bring rain to the parade[is that how it goes?] Eventhough Vizuete does bring a much needed change into our national team let us not forget that Vizuete's coaching career hasn't always been trophies or gold medals. I'm assuming that most of you live outside of here[Ecuador] but some of you may remember Vizuete's "mediocre" coaching term in Espoli..yes that was back in 1996,However that is so far his only consistent first division experience. to more recent activities...Overshadowed by the gold medal in Panamericanos[which I truly respect and admire and thank] He did FAIL at qualifying us to sub20 and sub17 world cups and these are supposed to be HIS EXPERTISE TERRITORRIES of course since it all happened last year the gold medal easily made up for those failures, oh and didn't he fail at making the girls world cup also?? yet for some reason we now think that making the real wourld cup will be easier?? NOT REALLY. we have to look at Vizuete as a new process a new begining and see this as a long term investment, which I'm perfectly with It's time for a new begining led by one of our own. [if there is any spelling erros I apologize, english is not my strongest point]

17. loraz

loraz New Member

May 12, 2005
    I heard Vizuete speak. That man is intelligent. I think he has excellent people skills and knows how to get a message across. He is the Obama of soccer. I was so inspired. There is no way that anyone could have beef with him withing the NT. He will eventually prevail and prove that he is here for all of us.

18. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I wish him the best of luck. But I think he's being 'set up to fail' by the FEF. I believe in placing a good worker on the fast track. But you need to give him the space and tools to succeed. He was at the bottom of the list simply because the FEF had no better option. I hope he's strong enough to not only manage professional world players but also deal with the lobbying that comes from so many corners of the game, inculding the FEF. Reinaldo Rueda, teh Colombian NT coach for the last qualifier, now coach for Honduras, was responsible for taking the sub17/sub20 to previous world cups. He led the youth division for years and finally was given the opportunity to coach in the big leagues. He was trained in Arg + Europe. But considering he almost took Colombia to the WC after Maturana's horrid start, he was always undermined and manipulated by federation and players. I don't know how a Vizuete can have a + atmosphere if his 1st results are poor. You had a 7-2 vote only 1 week before for a different coach. That tells you that at least 7 of the people probably want you to fail so that they can say, 'I told you so'.
    The right thing to do would be to at least keep him for a 'long term' project 2-3 years. But would you as an Ecua supporter be willing to 'suck it up' for the short term if it means success down the road?

19. loraz

loraz New Member

May 12, 2005
    I am glad you brought that up.

First off, I would suck it up. Change does not happen over night. I said before (half jokingly) that it will not be teh case for Vizuete. Change will happen over night.

Again, I agree with what you are saying. I have a lot to say about that but unfortunately, my job never gives me ample time to articulate a subject as the one you brought up.

I do believe the FEF will probably set Vizuete up. Not all a 100% for Sixto. This can not be good for him but I do believe that Vizuete has the intellect to deal with these stubborn, ignorant Bastards. The mere fact the Mendez quit ("retired") worries me. I don't want to speculate but already The Ecuadorian Media is making this look bad.

If only FEF were supportive. The decision was made so make the best of it. Leave the egoes and bigotry behind and and let's think as one.

20. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The problem is that in the end, the FEF hired Vizuete out of laziness. They were comodos since time was running out. They took the easy way out to solve the problem of not having a manager ready to take over after Suarez.

However, those same people will not hesitate to turn around and throw him back out to the lions as soon as the shit hits the fan! This I can almost guarantee!

21. \^the king^/

\^the king^/ Member

Jul 4, 2007
    wherevr da action @
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    and thats why i think he might not be the worst choice...this guy has been on both ends of the field... he knows how to deal with the L... he's not the type of guy who gives up after a loss...

the one thing i didnt approve of from this guy was the fact that when miller bolaños failed the dope test he admitted to have knowing that he had that problem and thats why he didnt take him the panamerican games, but he didnt say anything or get him help... he basicly ignored a huge problem on that a youth had, and he's supposed to be or at the time was the one responsible for the them..

22. Guayaquileño

Guayaquileño Member

Dec 3, 2006
    New York City
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys.... as fellow ecuadorians that you all are to me.. I need your input and responses on this thread https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=664990 that has to do about how our sovereignty and territory was violated by Colombia about a day and half ago due to the killing of Raul Reyes, high command leader of las FARC.

Guys this is a very serious situation the country is in basically because our sovereignty was violated.

23. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    As a die hard barcelonista the logical thing would be for me to stick up for Bolanos...but man that kid is an idiot, It seemed that Almeida was giving him a second chance and was considering him for the starting youngster position when Miller's suspension is over in April, but what did he do?? miss out practices, Vizuete probably knew Miller is a lost cause..just another Paredes, and unfortanely Kaviedes they are the type of players that just because thay loads of talent they believe thay are above the rules. One thing that does get me excited is that we might see a different style for our national team with Vizuete, we have to admit that the Bolillo-Suarez style was becoming very predictable for our opponents.

24. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Since I mentioned that Vizuete might give us a new style of game different that our always-do Dela Cruz runs the point throw a high pass hope for a header or Mendez outside shot on the rebound. AND I KNOW THAT THIS IS TOO EARLY but I'm gonna do it anyway, I'm going to name some of the players thatI think should be giving a chance, to start goalies..Vizuete has made it clear that Banguera[the espoli guy]is someone he has a lot of expectations for, It wouldn't surprise me to see Aragon make a comeback according to the local press here He's improving big time. He'll bring Omar De Jesus along since he wanted him as one of the 3 adults for the panamericanos. I hope he gives Quiroz a chance, the obvious of course Castillo, Valencia, Benitez but the one guy that i really think he should get a chance at the NT is Felipe Caicedo hesbeing overshadowed by Tin and C. Tenorio but i got a chance to see the Manchester city vs Wigan and man I was impressed hes a different type of forward from what we are used to, he doesnttry to drible the ball against ridiculous odds[lara, benitez and tenorio] he is not afraid to take shos and I think we need a player like that, also Ambrossi, C. Hidalgo, Pablo Palacios, Pedro Quinones theres is a lot of potential there and Guagua is got to improve so he can take over Ivan's position, Eder vaca is young also, what do you guys think?

25. \^the king^/

\^the king^/ Member

Jul 4, 2007
    wherevr da action @
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    are you sure thats a valid excuse?
    you really think a 17 year addict cant change?
    but enough of this,

what i really want to know is who is going to replace mendez?