Sitting Pretty [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by JoeW, Oct 24, 2004.

1. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Warning--this thread makes reference to all 4 first round playoff games. If you don't want to know the results to all 4 games, then ignore this thread.

Okay, 3 of the 4 first round games were won by the lower seed--also playing at home. There's still a good chance that LA and Columbus will advance. It isn't even that unlikely for KC to advance. But....when you look at where DCU is right now, we're the only higher seed that isn't going into the next match (even though it's at home) knowing we HAVE to win and like in KC's case, knowing we have to win by multiple goals just to get to OT.

DCU is sitting pretty right now. And I know it's no lock. No guarantee we continue the home undefeated streak. No guarantee we take our 5th win against the Metros this year (would that make it an Atlantic Cup chaser?). But of all of the 4 higher seeds, we're absolutely in the best position at this point--not even close. Not just b/c we won and the other 3 didn't, not just b/c we're up by 2 goals just to be forced to OT. Not only b/c of our home record and that we're on a roll (only Columbus had a better roll going into the playoffs), but we're facing the playoff team with the worst defense and definitely on the biggest down streak at the moment (except for Colorado--and if Cannon has a hot night you can forget about their recent dive).

Frankly, if any of the other 4 higher seeds could chose a team to play in game #2, any team--they'd probably chose the Metros right now.

2. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Re: Sitting Pretty

While Columbus doesn't look great, they never did over the course of their unbeaten run. I would much rather have the Rev's come here.

3. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Let's remember that it's just halftime and we're up by two goals (to paraphrase Kinnear). The game ain't over yet. Let's keep our focus on destroying, stomping, chewing up and spitting out the scum, then we'll find out where we will next play.

GM

4. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD

I have a pretty good feeling that we're riding this train all the way to the Home Depot Center. But I don't want to get ahead of myself. Too much, anyway. :)

5. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC

I agree. As one who was rooting for the Red Sox in the 1986 Series, I can tell you -- and so can Bill Buckner -- that it ain't over till it's over.

6. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think the fact that we are letting ourselves think that we somehow have some huge advantage coming into this weekend is pretty ill conceived. DCU is going to have to work hard for this next game and our birth into the Eastern Championship. Yes, I would love it if we just whoop some more MetroScum arse. But realistically, we have to play agressively, and definitely not put Rimando in a situation where he has to work his ass off. Our defense showed its weakness on Saturday, and if it weren't for Nicky being on top of his game, we wouldn't be talking so cocky (for lack of a better term on Monday morning). I think our offense was incredible, and with the exception of a few missed opportunities we were solid up front. It's not over until the Grill Master sings.

7. elconejito

elconejito Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Where Homer Lives
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i agree that it ain't over till its over.... BUT.... we are damn well sitting pretty right now. We have the Scum's number, they laid it all out last week and put up a donut. What do they have left? if they push forward we score on counters, if they sit back, we probably score anyway and they dont score. They can try to outwork us, but that only works in 15 min spurts for them before we reassert ourselves. While it is possible that an offense like theirs can score 2+ goals, i just dont see it happening. we are playing too well and they are not. As long as we go out and play our game, we'll be fine. I dont see any letdown or overconfidence or "taking it easy" in this team.

After that, we have to get by either the Cows or Revs. I think we have a decent chance of beating either one. we are capable of dominating both of them but they have players who can score against the run of play. twellman, noonan, and dempsey are all dangerous players and nicols has them playing some decent soccer and they have some of their guys back healthy (right?). the cows only chance to beat us is in the air, and they are quite capable of doing this with sanneh, marhsal, fraser with service from elliot. their defense is strong too.

out of the west, i dont think anyone wants to play SJ and i think they'll win out against KC. KC plays nice soccer while even or ahead, but i dont think they have the firepower to come back from 2-0 down. Gansler's style really hurts them here...

colorado doesn't quite scare me, altho guys like peguero, spencer (healthy?) can make a goal out of nothing and cannon likes to stand on his head. LA has nothing since they got Sampson as coach. they're only hope is some miraculous dive by ruiz

8. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA

I completely agree--we don't want to be complacent. Nor is it over (though to call it half-time is a bit inaccurate. It's a halftime where you switch homefields and have a week to rest).

But you have to believe that if Columbus, KC and LA could choose any of the 4 lower seeds to play in their last game, they'd choose Metro. Right now, Metro is the team in the biggest slump (they backed into the playoffs much like we did last year) and they've had a poor defense all season. And, there's no doubt that any of those teams would trade records with us in a heartbeat--who wouldn't want to be up 2-0 going into your home match.

Sitting pretty doesn't mean we're a lock or the odds are unsurmountable. But it does mean that we're positioned better than any other of the 7 teams in the playoffs and definitely better than the other 3 top half seeds.

I'm not getting cocky here (and I"m sure Nowak won't let his team get cocky either). But the team is positioned perfectly right now. The only real downers are the nick to Gomez and the yellow card to Dema in the last match. Oh, and well that we didn't win 7-0!

9. joshdcu

joshdcu New Member

Jun 29, 1999
    Washington, DC

Even though I'm cautiously optimistic about DC United's chances, I do think this: Game #2 against the Metros is going to be UGLY!

10. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"Ugly" in the sense that DCU is going to kick some Scum arse. We are definitely poised for a great showing, and I don't think we will have a problem handling Metroscum on Saturday, but more or less I'd love to see DCU kick it into high gear defensively. I'm becoming not so fond of the Namoff-Nellie-Petke back line. We need some adjustment back there.

11. kravi

kravi Member

May 3, 2004
    Section 134

Naw, joshdcu has a point. The 'Tards are going to be upset, and are going to play a very rough, very physical game. And being the visiting team (while we are just DC United), the ref will cut them a lot of slack, I think. It probably will get bloody.

--kravi

P.S. But we'll kick their asses anyway!

12. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA

I think w/the 2 goals in hand, playing at home, we're in good shape too. Or "sitting pretty".

Course I could be wrong, but that's truly what I believe.

13. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

I have to agree with the game getting "ugly". If you watch the Metros last 4-5 matches, they have gottne worse and worse at diving. I am starting think they believe that the only way to score is through Free/Penalty kicks.

I think the match is going to be wrought with attempts at converting dives in the box. Depending on the crack smoker we have officiating the match this could be a serious problem. Now....I personally would love to see New England knock Columbus out of this and get one more home match. So far the playoffs have gone exactly as I planned.....

14. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's a great situation to be in, no doubt--we're better off than any of the other home teams coming into this leg. However, it's often been said that 2-0 is the most dangerous lead in soccer and that seems no less true here. If the Metros pinch a quick goal it's only a one-goal differential and they'd have the momentum. That could turn the tie around in a second. I don't think that'll happen, but it's important not to get too cocky. On the other hand, if we manage to score the early goal then things could get ugly--by which I mean we could pile it on and/or the Metros could lash out in typically cynical form in which case I'd be concerned about injuries, cards etc.

15. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We need an early goal. By early I mean at best in the first 10 minutes. But I'd settle for the first 30 minutes. The problem is, each time we play the Metros at Home, the Metros score first. In this playoff situation, this worries me because if they get another early goal like on the 17th, then they could have the confidence to get the 2nd. Eventhough we found away to get 3 after Clark's bomb, this is a do or die situation Cheatin' Bob will pull-out every stop and trick available. We need to bury their confidence w/ a goal in the first 30 minutes. And take this tie 4, 5-0.

16. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD

You better believe that the MetroTards are going to be going at us early, and will be trying for an early goal. We're going to have to absorb those attacks and keep our heads together on defense. No stupid mistakes, but I'm not that worried if Nelsen is back there controlling things. He'll have to be careful of getting another yellow, because if he does, he'd have to sit the next game out and we cannot allow that to happen.

So I think for the first 15-20, we're going to have to play like we're the road team, hoping to absorb the Metros' attacks and go for a counter down the wings or through midfield. I think we ought to go with the same starting lineup. Earnie Stewart played his butt off on Saturday, and if he can bring that same game to RFK on Saturday night, I'm not worried about the shape of our midfield.

Saturday cannot get here fast enough this week.

17. Primate

Primate Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United

This is my biggest worry, while I'm not completely confident that DC will dispatch the Metros with ease I'm worried people will get silly cards and miss out on the conference final. I'm mostly worried about Nelsen getting another one.
    Or worse yet, someone ending up with a bad injury.
    DC needs to play hard but play smart and not get baited into getting more stupid cards or injuries.

Of everyone on the team, the person hardest to replace with the available personnel is Nelsen in my opinion. We need our captain to keep his head and be there in the conference final.

18. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Couldn't agree more, Nellie better keep his head in the game, and not allow Amado "Cry Baby" Guevara, et al get to him. How this game needs to go:

DC goal in the first 20 mins, avoid any major penalties (ie Dema & Nellie keeping their cool). Another goal in the 55th minute would be wonderful but not neccessary. After the 2nd goal we should sub out Nellie, Esky, Moreno and possibly even Stewart. Just thinking out loud.

19. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md

I think the real question we have to ask right now is not whether or not the Mutts can come up with 3 goals in our house, I have no doubt their capable of that feat, it's whether or not they can go 90 minutes without us adding to our tally as it stands..

The Mutts are a dreadful defensive team with only 4 really defensive minded players.. For crying out loud they employ four central midfielders with only one of them (Clark) with any type of defensive responsibility..

Again, can the Mutts score two or possibly three against us? Sure, they can, but they won't do it without giving up a few in the process..

Additionally, I'm not sure that two yellow cards will be an automatic suspension in the playoffs.. According to MLS rules, if you have a yellow in three consecutive games you have to serve a suspension.. The rules did not stipulate in any way that two consecutive cards will get an automatic suspension..

20. Re: Sitting Pretty

Yeah, can someone clear this up? There seems to be an assumption that yellow cards in consecutive playoff games means a sending off or a suspension, but I haven't found anything at the MLS website or anywhere else that says this is so.

Anyone? Buehler?

21. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Before getting out the trophy polish -- wasn't it just last year that San Jose lost the first game 2-0, then fell behind in the second game 2-0, then came back with 5 unanswered goals to win game two 5-2, and advanced on aggregate goals 5-4? Didn't they do this against the Galaxy?

22. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you. if we let down, they get the momentum and then we're fighting for our lives. people, anything can happen. As gol tv loves to show us, Hungary beat Germany 8-3 in the group stages in 1954. They played in the final a couple of weeks later, and Germany walks away lifting the trophy. if we come in there thinking it's over, we're in deep doggie doo doo. plain and simple.

23. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Yeah, but San Jose played the second leg at home, against a team that hadn't won on the road all year. The Metros will be playing on the road, against the team with the best home record in the league.

24. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    There are some good thoughts regarding this all on the Strategy for Saturday [r] thread.

One interesting point to note: if San Jose can beat Kansas City, the west is going to look a lot more toothless. When you consider that the Western Conference pretty much beat up on the East in regular season play, I am amazed at how much difference a little form can make.

Kansas City and Colorado are the two Western Conference teams that gave us the most trouble this season. We always seem to play poorly against Kansas City, in fact. But now they have a great "shot" of getting kicked out early. And Columbus - New England is going to be fun to watch too.

25. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Actually, Los Angeles gave us the most trouble.. One bad loss (4-2 at home) and two draws..

We at least beat both KC and Colorado..