Site Upgrade - Sunday 3/19 8AM EST

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by dark knight, Mar 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Site looks so much better when the sidebar is at the bottom of the page instead. Make it do that for the desktop no matter what size the window is, and I'd learn to like the design pretty easily. The header is probably still too big, but I'd live with it if the forum posts went the full length of the window.

blissett repped this.
  2. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Viewing this on an iOS device in a portrait orientation is killer. I've literally lost 1/4 of the screen because of that oddly enlarged header. Is it possible to hide it when scrolling at least?

blissett repped this.
  3. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The trending threads feature should be user specific where you can choose which threads/topics you want to see. As of now, I see little reason for example why a Korea NSR and Trump threads are popping up as I have zero interest in either. Everyone's flooded with stuff they have no interest in.

Just a feature where you can check which threads/forums show up trending would be superior. Also think that right side column is way too big.

NorthBank, Tunechi241 and blissett repped this.
  4. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Another suggested tweak:

ScreenClip.png

It would all line up better visually.

And provide a larger reply box.

--

Also -- The reply box icons could be smaller and tighter.

5. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do want to echo the earlier comment that it's nice to have functionality following the change; that has not always been my experience. It's a lot easier to decide what you like or don't when the site basically works.

One thing to add to the list: in the old layout, you could see which posts were most recent for forums and subforums. That was nice.

6. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Also, my option is and always has been not to show as online, yet I had a big green dot in my avi.

Thx,

Jay!

blissett repped this.
  7. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re the trending feature: some things should probably be exempt because the peculiar nature of the threads themselves don't invite lots of drop-in commentary or participation. Right now there's a thread trending in BSMX, the MLS PBP thread, and some long-running threads in Free For All where there are peculiar cultures and/or communities. New folks would be welcome but they'd be better served by finding the threads organically and figuring out how to fit in. Other places on the site and that would be less of an issue.

I recall a beverage-and-conversation session with someone who used to be charged with promoting the site who told me he knew how much our group liked the MLS PBP thread, and how it is a unique thing the site has, but how he could not promote it because increased activity/participation might very well kill it.

Gamecock14 repped this.
  8. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    In general, the "free for all" thread should not be part of trending threads and the Gringos/USvMex should not be part because they are basically troll threads.

9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Another readability problem:

Too much padding between posts.

The readability of this new design is far inferior to the old one. Some of that are the poorly designed signatures and the overly large rep boxes. But it's also that there's too much blank space between posts.

All that disruption and padding interrupts the flow of reading. The discussion is lost in all the clutter and discontinuity.

Dr. Wankler, blissett, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  10. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Perhaps I didn't notice it earlier because it is one of the final things to load, but there is a Open Quick Navigation feature next to the button for Post New Thread at the top of every page.

I wish the toggle width feature at the bottom of the page would put the sidebar under the posts.

11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go to your profile
    Select "privacy"
    Uncheck the "Show your online status" box. This will allow you to not show when your are online.

12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Although we cannot see that he is online, he sees that he is online. It's annoying.

Winoman and JayRockers! repped this.
  13. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would add to this that the stickied threads should not be separated from the non-sticked threads for the same reason - flow.

sitruc repped this.
  14. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Flow is a great concept to keep in mind here.

Whatever detracts from the flow of discussion should be removed or changed.

Things flowed very well with the old design.

This new design? Not at all.

But that's the design goal: recapture the old sense of flow with a new, modern look.

Dr. Wankler and blissett repped this.
  15. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, gotcha. Kinda redundant.

JayRockers! repped this.
  16. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I have been doing this since the last iteration and it still doesn't work. It never has.

17. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    The Recent Articles sidebar makes no sense. None of these things are articles. It looks like new threads only.

18. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My Forums is what I use most, and would like up there on the menu bar next to My Threads (which I don't use at all). For me, that's co number 1 with breadcrumbs at the bottom of the page.

Winoman and Knave repped this.
  19. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    I actually disagree with this. The posts should have the padding reduced (if not eliminated altogether) but I like having sticky threads more obviously separate. In forums (like the MLS N&A) with many sticky threads, its much easier to tell where the newest threads start, which I like.

Winoman and holden repped this.
  20. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Actual bug(?) report for the update:

The four checkboxes under preferences>style options don't seem to change anything if I check or uncheck them.

Not entirely sure because its not entirely clear what they are meant to do, but I don't notice any changes when I change my preference

JayRockers! repped this.
  21. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    HTML tags don't work in signatures anymore. Bug or feature?

22. Janet H

Janet H Administrator

Jul 30, 2015
    Pacific NW
    Club:
    Seattle
    This was a version update and a new look. There are a few new features as well - again still tweaking these...

NorthBank repped this.
  23. WhyMe

WhyMe Member

Nov 7, 2015
    NYC
    Should provide an option to have a darker background.

z0mb1e repped this.
  24. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really like the look of it, though I agree a night mode option would be nice.

Also I like the trending threads thing, but replacing recent articles with something like a recently viewed threads or a new threads window would be better IMO.

Overall I really like it though :thumbsup:

25. Andy R

Andy R Administrator

Sep 26, 2013
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Thanks for all the great feedback. It's coming in quickly and we appreciate it. Over the next month we will make improvements and I'm sure when it's all said and done most everyone will enjoy the new look. Please be patient as we build a list of the recommendations and work to improve things.

Here are some thoughts on some of the stuff mentioned so far.

A bit about the Media system -

People on BigSoccer share a lot of YouTube videos of game highlights, etc.

The system is supposed to work two ways. A member can upload a video into the system media system directly. So if someone wants to add a video highlight of yesterday's Barcelona game they can add it to the Barcelona section of the media gallery.

In reality very few people will take the time to go add it to the media gallery, most will just paste a link in the discussion that's already going on about that game.

We retooled the system so each forum was mapped to a category in the media gallery. The system is built to scan posts for YouTube links and then add them to the gallery. So if you are in the Barcelona forum and link to a YouTube video it will automatically add that video to the Barcelona section of the media gallery.

At the top of each forum there will be thumbnails showing recent videos that have been linked to. This will help everyone see the clips that are being linked. Also, the video could be VIimeo and other online video hosts.

When it comes to the right hand column here is some feedback:

- The recent articles is going to show articles from our authors who post on the home page. This was being posted to a different service before and it was not possible to post comments under your BigSoccer account. This is now being brought back into our system so when they post an article everyone can chime in with their account, it's basically a thread where the first post is an article.

- We need to refine the content in side column so that it will surface more relevant information. For example, if you are in the Barcelona forum you could see other recent topics from the same forum, not from across the whole site. We understand lots of folks hang out in specific sections of the site so we want to make it easy for you to find more content that you enjoy. Another option for us to consider is to drive the recent topics off of the forums that you subscribe to so you can see what's going on at any one point making it easier to switch to another discussion that's of interest to you.

- We will create an option to disable the right hand column. I don't have all the details on how that will work. We will discuss this and figure out a way to allow those of you who just don't like it to turn it off. That being said, once we get it dialed in, hopefully you will give it some time to see if you enjoy it before turning it off. I feel strongly we will be able to find way to improve the right hand column (see above).

I agree about quoted content needing to be more clearly noted from the main content of a post.

We will work on the header to see what we can do to make it smaller.

Thanks again for the feedback. We are listening so keep it coming. Look for tweaks and updates to the sites ongoing over the next month. We will get it dialed in and have a more professional looking site to boot.

russ, NorthBank, fatbastard and 5 others repped this.