Site upgrade of 2017, part II - All is Not Lost

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by soccernutter, Mar 21, 2017.

1. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    somebody did...but I put it in the list of concerns.

NorthBank repped this.
  2. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    #52 holden, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Strangely, my option to pick Club has disappeared. I still see the "Country" and "Least Favorite Club" options, though. But there is now also a new "Favorite Club" and "Favorite National Team" option that can be typed in (the "Favorite National Team" does seem to validate against a list of actual countries, but there's no check for the "Favorite Club" so you can enter multiple as you can see under my avatar on the left right now).

And when you fill them out, they show as thus:
    [​IMG]
    (Uzbekistan is the "Favorite National Team" and Azerbaijan is the old "Country")

soccernutter repped this.
  3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    If these are the same issue at a software level -- i.e. what governs the typical arrangement of details on forums and sub-forums also governs what's seen on special pages like Watched Forums -- then fine. But it's not obvious to me that this is true.

Rather than get defensive and excoriate me for deigning to suggest that you overlooked something in your list, perhaps -- again -- you should have calmly explained why you believed it included under one of your listings. And, I would add, perhaps you should have also taken the point as an opportunity to add clarity to what you had written.

These would all have been reasonable responses. You took another route.
    I have tried to pepper my occasional admitted frustrations with humor. It does not appear you have done the same. And, frankly, do not pass your intemperance onto me.

What I posted regarding your list I posted in good faith. In response you lambasted me.

Frankly, you owe me an apology..

4. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    can y'all maybe take the tone discussion to private message? We all want to improve the user experience so let's not lose track of that.

soccernutter and Knave repped this.
  5. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Can you go back to the old forum concept that was genuinely an upgrade and we can all pretend this cluster******** didn't happen?

blissett and JayRockers! repped this.
  6. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
  7. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I can't seem to change the Club I currently have listed, but I can add clubs under the Favorite Club section, so now it's redundant. Also, you're only allowed to use sanctioned FIFA clubs for your favorite national team, and that list isn't even complete, so if your national team is Abkhazia, Gibraltar, Northern Cyprus, Kosovo, or Greenland, you're shit out of luck.

8. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    It's literally pulling random pieces of media you've posted at any point over the last few years in that forum. Same is happening with me. I haven't posted in one forum in about 4 years and yet I have 5 pieces of "Media" in that forum. Also, when you click on a user's avatar, you can see what media they've posted and in what forums. This all depends on your individual settings, though. For example, I can see the media that La Magica has posted in various Roma threads, but I can't yours because it says "This member limits who may view their full profile."

9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Is this random feature likely still indexing or something?

10. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    One additional thing I found: When clicking on a user's avatar, you have clickable links for Posts Created, Threads Created, My watched threads, Start a conversation, Follow, and Ignore. Posts Created, Threads Created, and My watched threads are all stuff that relates to me and not to the user whose avatar I've clicked. On Start a conversation, Follow, and Ignore relate to that user. If you're going to have the first three items under another user's avatar, it should either direct to that person's posts/threads, or just remove them altogether since it's redundant and could get confusing.

Winoman, JayRockers! and sitruc repped this.
  11. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I'm not sure. All of the dates of the media say that they're from March 21. Also, they don't link back to the initial thread which they're from, nor do they have any relevance. They're just pieces of media hanging in the wilderness.

12. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Also, I have "Show your online status" and "Show your current activity" unchecked. Whenever I click on someone's name, or if someone clicks on mine, it gives the time that I last posted. It doesn't show where I've been, but it shows I've been active at that time. Is there any way to remove that time stamp?

soccernutter, Thezzaruz and sitruc repped this.
  13. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I just checked my profile and I have an Alex Ferguson parody video that I must have posted years ago as a media file and two old dead-end links. Just a mess

14. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Getting some 522 Errors the past few minutes.

15. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    "Sticky Sidebar" seems to come and go. I have it disabled but it shows up and follows me to the bottom of multiple pages on a desktop.

Cant find the option to eliminate it altogether.

Thx,

Jay!

blissett repped this.
  16. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Yea it's still quite buggy.

blissett and JayRockers! repped this.
  17. Andy R

Andy R Administrator

Sep 26, 2013
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    These are complete:
    - Ladies forum colors have been changed
    - Quote Styling has been fixed
    - Excluding some forums from trending (mainly politics)
    - If people don’t like signatures they can disable them under "Preferences" there is an option under "Options"
    - Changed term from Media to Video
    - Add option to disable right hand column

Up next:
    - Add My Forums to top level menu.
    - Make a few improvements to the left hand column
    - Edit Trending widget to show forum where thread is located.
    - Exclude Big Soccer Bot from Notable Members.
    - Learn how to manage the left hand slide open slider so we can remove 2014 World Cup and add 2018 World Cup.

NorthBank, soccernutter and Gamecock14 repped this.
  18. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I do not believe you should call this complete. This take it or leave it, all or nothing option has always been there as a software preference. It's not a change, and to assert it as the answer is to dismiss the issue instead of addressing it.

For as long as I've been here, which is a very long time, we've always agreed that signature formats be so understated that people don't feel the need to disable them. This is why we banned images in signatures decades ago. It's also why we've historically limited signatures to reasonable lengths. In other words, we've always made sure that signatures were so understated that people didn't feel the need to turn them off. That tradition should continue.

-- addition --

Part of the issue with the signature format is the combination of it and the rep format. It can end up being a massive division between posts.

19. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    image.png

On my iPad, when I choose preferences, the top menu doesn't disappear over the preferences menu.

Thx,

Jay!

soccernutter repped this.
  20. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    The blue line was nice and I guess it has gotten a bit darker than initially but the small and light grey style still makes it a bit hard to read, a bit darker still wouldn't be bad.

I see no change in the threads that show up in the "trending" block, and there are still links to P&CE in there.

Honesty is always appreciated. :thumbsup: :D :thumbsup:

Dr. Wankler, soccernutter and blissett repped this.
  21. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sorry if this has already been noted, but the most disturbing issues that still have to be fixed to me are:
    1) the header taking up too much space and still following you down the page while you scroll down;
    2) tha fact that new posts on single threads are shown in blue, but new posts on forums and sub-forums aren't (so you don't have a way to know if you have messages to read in any single forum/sub-forum unless you enter it); this last one is by far the issue that damages more my experience of the forum.

22. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Go to preferences in the menu that comes up when you mouse over your username in the header, and uncheck 'enable sticky navigation' and the header won't scroll with you any more

soccernutter and blissett repped this.
  23. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Ok, thanks, now this looks a little more as it used to be.

Not everything perfect yet, but way better.

24. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got the impression from what @Andy R said, what that they created some script to scan posts for videos and put them in the media section since there are a lot of videos posted. I think it needs to be refined, for a couple of reasons, but it has the potential to be good, I think.

JayRockers! repped this.
  25. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I minimized it a couple of days ago, per instructions in this thread, but it seems I have to do this every time I come to BS. I'd like the option of having this be permanent feature.

JayRockers! repped this.