Sirius Recommendations

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by eric515, Mar 7, 2006.

1. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been considering getting it for a long while (the whole EPL thing kind of pushed it past XM in my book), and I'm pretty close to purchasing.

I was looking at the Starmate Replay ST2 receiver. It's about my price range, comes packaged with the car kit, and can pause live radio, etc. Seems like a good deal:

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conte...s/CachedPage&c=ProductAsset&cid=1126670694040

I was just looking for some opinions on this particular receiver, if anyone has it, and also on installation in general, and specifically in a late 90's Chevy Blazer. Any and all contributions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Eric

2. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Eric, I have the sportster which is one of the lower end models - but works great for what I need.

I installed in a Honda Accord and ran the wire from antenna under the rear window molding, through the trunk and under the carpet/molding up to the dash pretty easily. I have also passed cars on the highway that just threw the antenna on the roof and just laid the wire in through a window. So depends on how much you want to do.

Also, in addition to EPL games, there are 2 daily soccer shows that are interesting to listen to.

Good luck.

3. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, you installed yourself? Do you just override an FM frequency? If so, how's the sound quality?

4. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    I did install myself (and I am not very car savvy). With the sportster car kit that I got, it has this little plastic strip that you to protect the one piece of wire from the antenna, but I also used it to help push the wire into the rear window molding (not sure if that was its intention). It was more a pain than difficult. Although now that I did it once, if I had to do it again, it would be pretty easy and quick.

Also, it came with a wireless FM antenna - so you plug this into the back on the receiver and then set the receiver to an FM station that is not really used wherever u are (I used 89.7). Then just tune your actual car radio to this 89.7 station, it is all static, then turn on the sportster radio, and then you can listen to Sirius through your car radio. Sound quality is fine IMO.

I am not sure if this is available on the radio that you are looking at - so double check.

Also, check out this website which has lots of good info, especially some of the specific questions you have about your car and the unit you are looking at. Might get better responses than from the bigsoccer site (although I am always willing to continue to let you know what I came across) Just thought you might like more than one opinion ;)

http://www.siriusbackstage.com/forum/

Good luck.

5. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, Nick and Steven are EPL snobs and should stay away from discussing MLS, but that's just me.

I like waking up on Saturday mornings and not having to be in front of the TV at 7:30 AM. An added bonus is that many times the PPV games are broadcast on Sirius. Sometimes you'll get the 3 PM FSC game on Sirius at 10 AM, so the schedule varies. www.sirius.com/sports and English Soccer page which can also be accessed from the sirius sports page.

It may vary by radio, but when I was researching, I noticed that XM only had five conversion frequencies, compared to Sirius which has a hell of a lot more (virtually every FM station can be used to convert.) Fiddle around with the FM frequencies and see what works best for you.

No matter what you get, i'd recommend a professional installation. In the home, i'm fine, but in the car, I need to keep adjusting the antenna plug.

I also have the sportster car kit and boombox. It's fine for what I need it for. I like the boombox because I only need a plug (or, if I lose power, I can put some batteries in it and still have it louder than anything with headphones.)

Plus, what they don't tell you is that you can take that headphone plug and get a "headphone to line-in converter" wire from any electronics store. Use that to connect your boombox to your stereo, and you've automatically got a home kit.

The connection wire is also a bit better than converting it to a FM frequency (since it's always broadcasting unless you turn it off) and using a FM radio.

They also give you some crap about how you need to wire the outside of your house. If you live in the city, that's not true. Country, yeah, you need to see the northern sky, but city, nope.

6. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    I don't have any problems having to readjust the antenna on my car.

Krypto, I have the boombox too. Have you noticed that if you run it on batteries, it seems to eat through them in no time? That happened twice, and that was just too expensive for me. So like you, I go for just plugging it in.

7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I haven't tried the batteries yet. Good advice. If I plug it in, it's good enough for me. And, unlike the home kit, I can literally plug it in at any outlet without the need for an expensive home stereo.

As far as i'm concerned, the only downfall with Sirius is that they don't have a true portable. Yeah, some guy got a car kit, a car battery, and a backpack. Other than that, there's nothing to listen to live programming on the bus, at the stadium, or where ever you are.

According to what i've heard, there is one in the works. The technology does exist (see XM), but apparently XM's model is known to get spotty coverage in some areas. -- I'd like to see what satellite (specifically XM's portable) sounds like in a subway or big tunnel.

8. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ummmm....

http://www.sirius.com/gs/s50/

9. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't listen to live programming when it's off its docking station. Only recorded stuff.

I think it plays MP3s, too? Still pretty sweet...

10. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. It's part iPod, part Sirius receiver. You can record Sirius programming for later listening, or you can (I think) put your own MP3's on it.

11. I am Joe²

I am Joe² New Member

Jan 10, 2001
    Jersey
    That is hilarious on so many levels. Maybe one day Sirius will be lucky enough to have a piece of equipment such as the new XM Inno which comes out this month. [​IMG]
    Basically an Ipod with LIVE XM coverage. I currently have XM's MyFi and have no problem w/ reception at stadiums or on the bus or in the car. I haven't been on the subway with it, but I dont think you would have a strong signal down there. Either way good luck w/ your new unit. :D