Sirius Radio Programs

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by lynne, Oct 12, 2011.

1. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    I have Sirius Radio, and so now I can listen to (apparently) 1 soccer channel. I haven't figured out what's on my 1 channel in total, and I don't see any information here -- so I thought I'd start a thread in hopes that someone. knew about it.

There's one program called "The Football Show". Today they spent the entire time I was listening talking about how horrible the US Mens team is and how Klinsmann is terrible. Apparently all their buddies who are international soccer coaches (great ones) have been saying for a while that Klinsmann was going to be awful..

Anyway, the show seemed to be doing the one thing I really hate in radio programs -- talking really sloooooowww basically because they had nothing much to say. The one guy (Georgio?) seemed to be offended that the US wasn't likely to win the WC next go round. The 2 or 3 callers all started off by saying (at length) how much they loved the show.

So, long story short, should I find another program? Or another kind of satellite radio?

2. NYRBA1

NYRBA1 Member

Feb 4, 2011
    that's what they got when they kicked World Soccer Daily off Sirius.. the quality went from A to C-, and now people don't listen cause it's quality, but because it's the only show on...

3. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://feeds.feedburner.com/soccerpodcasts

4. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    www.siriusxm.com/soccer and www.siriusxm.com/soccerschedule

In terms of PbP, it appears they just have Manchester United's league matches and other league matches featuring the "big" teams from the BPL.

One season about 3-4 years ago, they had:
    • Manchester United matches featuring a 30-minute pregame show produced by SiriusXM,
    • One UEFA CL match per Tuesday and another one each Wednesday.
    • Celtic matches.
    • Three BPL matches each Saturday, and two each Sunday, plus the Monday games.

This (among with other moves) is the result of major cost-cutting at SiriusXM.

5. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    ^Thanks for the info!

I was out a few weekends ago and listened to the Man Utd game on 207. That wasn't too bad (though I did wonder about the color commentator).

6. zico21

zico21 Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Jamestown, NY
    Things have actually picked up a bit in the last month or so. They now air delayed (and replayed often!) segments of Talk Sport and there is also a new show, Men in Blazers, that has two shows a week I believe (and also, often replayed through the week).

7. SAFC Yank

SAFC Yank Member

May 15, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Sirius also carries BBC World Service, which typically has second-half commentary from the Prem picked up from 5 Live for a 3 p.m. kickoff Saturday and a 4 p.m. kickoff Sunday.

8. Brook

Brook BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sirius has definately fallen in the past couple of years, football wise.
    At least they now appear to have the Man Utd, Arse, and Chels matches live. I think it was better when they had the entire league, like Krypto said. At least now they added TalkSport and the Drivetime, which comes on live at 11a Eastern.
    I can't stand the Football Show with Charlie "Name Dropping" Stillitanto and Georgio "I was the best ever" Chinaglia.
    Men in Blazers seems somewhat funny and the show with the two Americans is crap.
    Something is better than nothing, right ?

9. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    I haven't heard much more. The Football Show is close to unlistenable -- it takes minutes for them to get a complete thought out and the one guy has to drop the name "georgio" in every 3 words or so.

I caught about 5 minutes of "men in blazers" and it sounded pretty ok.

Plus the last few days, they seem to be having technical difficulties. Maybe that's a Siruis radio thing? I can listen to talkradio on my way home, which is comical, getting the traffic reports from London on the way home.

10. Lakesider211

Lakesider211 New Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So is that it, Sirius or nothing? Does anyone else stream TalkSport commentary or, better, stream the 5Live commentary in the US (apart from the second halves on the World Service)?