Sir Thomas Finney on Eddie Lewis

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by FirstStar, Apr 21, 2006.

1. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Finney (current president of PNE) has a few very nice things to say about Eddie in an article up on YA.com:

"[Finney] has never returned to the USA and has only crossed paths with American soccer when Eddie Lewis spent three seasons at Preston from 2002 to 2005.

"I enjoyed watching him," Finney says, recognizing a fellow wide man. "He was a good player and we were very sorry to lose him. He is a pure winger, quite quick and quite skilful. We have never really replaced him."

2. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw that, too. Overall, a great article on the 1950 WC upset of England. That little quote was a nice bonus for reading it. I sent them a note, complimenting the piece.

I do think we forget how deceptively quick Eddie is. It's hard to argue with a legend like Sir Tom Finney.

I almost wonder what Preston would have done this year with Eddie. They are still in the playoffs, right? I wonder if he would have been enought to help them challenge Sheff U.

3. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think Leeds would have had a tough stretch or two this year without him. he seemed to be their best player for long periods of time.

4. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    The English style of play of perfect for Eddie.

5. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leeds United FC
    Is Eddie one of those players who performs better for Club the country? I'm not that often blown away by his performances for the National team but he often seems to do very well for his club.

6. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe its because his club lets him play his position :confused:

7. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that perception is fueled by the fact that he is surrounded by better players on the USMNT whereas in Championship he is the go-to guy for either PNE or Leeds. It's not like he plays on those USMNT B or C teams for friendlies.

and yes, it's a perception. He has done very well when he has put on the Nats shirt (he showed well in Germany, scored in Azteca), just not in the way he would for his club. I can't remember the last bad game he played for the USMNT

8. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

he's played LB 3 times in his National Team Career.

He doesn't fit as well as at the National Team level because he's something of an anomoly. We don't really have another player with his superb crossing ability, to go along with his good pace. At the same time he's struggles beating players 1v1. He doesn't have a great touch, he's not a great dribble, and he's not a great passer.

But you play him in the English system and it's a system that optimized his abilities. We don't do that at the National team level. We want our attacking players to do other stuff than getting wide and crossing.

So really, it's our own fault that we can't get the best out of Eddie. we don't put the system in place to do so.

9. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

I'm not sure that's what DK is saying. With Leeds, he's one of their top 3 players this season, and is sometimes argued as the best winger in the league.

you wouldn't call him one of our 5 best players. He's been consistently reliable, but rarely outstanding IMHO for USA.

10. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's where the part about most of the "A" USMNT being better than Championship players come in. And as mentioned before his skill set translates very well to English soccer.

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Eddie has said in the past that playing wingback may extend his career.

FWIW, I don't think he's an EPL quality left mid - average speed, not a particularly great dribbler - but he is an EPL quality wingback.

12. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did we ever figure out why Eddie's been out of the picture at Leeds lately?

13. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

I found an article where Eddie says he talked to Blackwell about beijng dropped and said that the manager would be resting various players at various time for the final playoff push.

14. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I figure all the play-off teams should and will rest their regulars before the games that really matter.

There are no Dom Kinnears over there.

15. Jacques Strappe

Mar 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the deal going to be with him being allowed to be put on the roster for the WC? I thought the playoffs ran past the deadline for announcing the rosters for the WC and FIFA made up some rule that players couldn't play past that date (by advancing in the playoffs) and still be eligible for the WC.

16. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No...

17. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    Well, according to ussoccer.com's Poland match preview, he is 3rd all-time in assists for the US national team behind Donovan and Jones. That ain't bad. I think he's one of the most consistantly solid players on the national team.

18. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They were granted an exemption, and there was much rejoicing.