Sir Alex: Challenges for MLS/Beckham

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by tab5g, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Charleysurf

Charleysurf Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Oh, I'm not denigrating your football fandom because your're an MLS fan. I respect MLS and want it to succeed. It's the fact that you "support" two MLS teams when it's only a 13 team league. I can only assume you claim to be a Galaxy fan because you're a Beckham fanboy. That's what makes me laugh.

Good luck with the heels fetish. I guess Alex Ferguson will have to make do with managing the Premier League champions, at the very center of the football world. Meanwhile David Beckham is playing (sometimes) for the Galaxy...

2. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Yeah, but at his age this was likely to be the year that he would of officially become a bench player at Real. It was already happening for stretches last year. Doesn't mean he's a bum, but there are probably at least 200 players in the world today more valuable than he is.

3. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    "value" to RM (or to the larger and complete world of football) is certainly a different thing than "value" to MLS.

MLS likely believes that "brand Beckham" is the number 1 "soccer" brand in the world. but as a player, your assessment could be right, Beckham might not be in the top 100-200, in terms of on-field worth.

the issue for MLS (as Sir Alex was stating) is to try to use that power of Brand Beckham to improve the sport/league here in the US. it's a tough struggle.

4. TOJAS

TOJAS New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Canada
    ...*yawn*....

5. bigdoug

bigdoug New Member

Apr 8, 2005
    No, they went to New York. The Brooklyn Dodgers only moved to LA in the late 1950s (57?). LA had a minor league team, the Hollywood Stars. The Dodgers' owner, Walter O'Malley, had failed to get a new stadium in Brooklyn, so he moved the team out west. He felt he couldn't move without another team out there, so he enticed the New York Giants to move to San Francisco. The Giants had been struggling at the Polo Grounds. Modern jets made that all possible.