Single ref positioning questions

Discussion in 'Referee' started by RefIADad, Feb 2, 2020.

1. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Over the past 3-4 weeks, I've worked two indoor tournaments. The field is basically 1/4 the size of a regulation field (about 55 yards x 30 yards). U14s and younger play 7v7 (6 and a keeper), U15 and up play 6v6 (5 and a keeper). We work as solo referees for these games. After doing some of these games, I've learned (sometimes the hard way) that I need some guidance on my positioning.
    1. The first just deals with general positioning. First of all, I do run in these games. I probably run too much. My general idea is to have as much of the field in my vision as I can, which means if the ball is swung sideline to sideline then I will work my way to the sideline where the ball came. I'm trying to get the right angle more than being close to play, but I don't always succeed. For those of you who do indoor, where on the spectrum between "standing at the center line" and "running all over the field" do you try to fall?
    2. This is more specific to corner kicks. In a game I did, I missed a takedown in the area because I was positioned close to the goal line so I could see a corner kick go over the line and then come back in (which did happen earlier in this game). As soon as I knew the ball wasn't going out, I did try to swing back to the top of the area. But as I focused on the landing area, the takedown happened off the ball and I missed it. The coach of the team was understanding about it (he specifically said "You're only one person - you can't see everything, and you can't call that unless you're sure you saw it"), but I still was pretty upset about it. If I was positioned at my usual spot in a diagonal system (usually at the intersection of the D and the penalty area away from my AR), there's no doubt that I would have spotted this.
    3. With a diagonal system, I usually do a good job of keeping my eyes on the player who has released the ball to make sure I see anything late. In these games with fast movement and quick passing, I feel myself starting to focus on the next phase of play and sometimes missing late items. How do you balance this when you're on your own?
    I know that working as a solo referee means you can't see everything, but I want to make sure I'm focusing on the most important items and learning to be OK with the less important things.

dadman repped this.
  2. Pelican86

Pelican86 Member

United States
    Jun 13, 2019
    Is there offside?

3. Sam_C

Sam_C Member

Manchester City
    Brazil
    Jun 19, 2018
    #3 Sam_C, Feb 2, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    I've been working adult men & co-ed games this winter on similar fields and here's what I've found:

1. You shouldn't need to run very much vertically to stay the ideal 10-20ish yards from play, but if you're good enough to read the play when teams are building out, you should anticipate which side the ball will be on and move horizontally to be able to have a good enough angle to see ball in/out relatively well while not compromising you angle for potential fouls. If there isn't likely to be a close ball in/out call, get an angle for potential contact and visa versa. Also, bear in mind that the field is tiny and it's important that you give the players space (stay off the field when possible). The only time I get down within 10 yards of the end-line is when play is on the far side and I anticipate a close in/out decision, otherwise, give the players room to play and do your best.

2. I understand that for younger kids it's different, but average-decent teams almost exclusively play short/top of the box indoors and rarely attempt to bend an inswinger. Even if that wasn't the case in your games, DSC positioning is preferable since you are far more likely to miss something from the players in front than an inswinger that curves out>in.

3. Peripheral vision and anticipation are required for indoor: Since the field is small you may be able to keep both in view simultaneously with good use of your peripheral vision and anticipation (takes some practice). If there's a long diagonal ball forward that doesn't allow that, follow the play and check your shoulder when that trailing contact should be coming in. Unless it's super late nastiness, you should have a relatively good idea if there will be contact based on how the defender is coming in before the pass and the temperature of the game (again, requires some experience).

IASocFan, dadman and RefIADad repped this.
  4. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No offside. Sorry, I should have made that more clear.

5. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The advice is sound as long as I can fully understand what you are saying here. So let's say the attacking team is building out from the back. The move the ball to the attacking left side of the field.

So in this situation, are you moving over to the attacking right, or are you trying to move to the attacking left off the field of play? Right or wrong, I've been trying to move more to the attacking right so I can have as much of the field in front of me as I can. My field of vision would be wider, and I would hopefully be able to follow the ball to the next phase of play while still being able to see anything late out of the corner of my eye.

If your recommendation is to move to the attacking left and off the field of play, I would be concerned about the attackers playing a long diagonal ball right and having to run across players' paths. If I'm to the right and the diagonal is played, I can either try to stay to the right of the play or loop back to the left to get a decent angle for potential contact and to see if a foul occurs in the area.

With no offside, my primary objective is to be at the proper angle to see fouls. I'd like to have an angle to see in/out, but that's less of an issue since I tell the teams before the match starts to play to my whistle and assume the ball is in play unless they hear a quick whistle from me.

6. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    This is my second season reffing, and second winter reffing indoors...so I'm still learning. But I never stand on the touch or goal lines. I prefer to stay central and relatively close to the ball/action. I would rather see 2/3 of the play and feel like I will see most fouls than worry about line calls.

7. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve been watching quite a bit of the UEFA and CONMEBOL World Cup futsal qualifiers. At least 80% of corner kicks are played to the top of the area or short just like @Sam_C said. With two referees, the near side referee is behind the play while the far side referee takes a position on the goal line.

Watching the officials position themselves in these matches validates that taking a position similar to that in a DSC, even without a referee on the goal line, is the right approach.