Single-Entity is here to stay!

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by pc4th, Sep 10, 2003.

1. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Well, duhhh...

You don't drop something when it's working. Most of the posters here who rant against SE aren't really against the structure of the MLS. They're just upset because the league doesn't resemble what they've followed in other countries--one or two big-time teams and a whole lot of no-hope also-rans.

3. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's good enough for Peter Wilt, it's good enough for me.

(At least for the moment anyway.) :)

4. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think most of us have no problem with SEM as a way to pool resources and reduce costs, etc...

The biggest problems I see have to do with the transparancy of player movement and allocations.

Weighted lotteries, trading roster spots and cap space for future considerations. And the perceptions that creates for some moves to be made that benefit one team over others. True or not - it is not out of the realm of possibility that MLSHQ can override one team for another.

But right now I will give a little on that issue for a more league financial security. Its like trading civil liberties for more security. It doesn't have to be zero-sum, though.

5. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    Re: Well, duhhh...

wrong. I understand why we have SE. I don't have a problem with retaining it until the league is in the black. I don't trust the front office and I don't like things like allocations and discovery picks. They're convoluted rules that may or may not be bent or broken whenever MLS feels like it. When each team has it's own owner you don't have to worry about who's getting favors and who's getting screwed.

6. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    It's possible for the league to keep SE while giving individual teams the power to sign their own players. SE doesn't have to mean the league controls the choices teams can make. This is the only real drawback I can see.

Give each team a budget and let them sign the players they want, rather than the league signing contracts. Same tight rules apply.

Of course, if the league is super invested in getting extra dollars through sponsorships, then SE needs to keep control of the contracts as well. Gotta keep those extra dollars hidden, or up the salary cap so those dollars aren't needed.