Simulated Results for Group E

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by ZeekLTK, Dec 18, 2005.

1. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Group E
    Czech Republic - 6 pts +2 GD
    United States - 5 pts +2 GD
    Italy - 4 pts +2 GD
    Ghana - 1 pt -6 GD

Matchday 1
    United States 2 - 0 Czech Republic
    Italy 3 - 0 Ghana

USA surprised the Czechs with some early pressure and eventually scored off a corner kick in the 14th minute. The Czechs regrouped and had some good attempts on goal, but Keller made some fine saves. As the half was winding down the Czechs got caught too far up field and the USA stole the ball and scored on a breakaway counterattack to go up 2-0. In the 2nd half the Czechs dominated the play, but Keller and the defense held firm and kept the shutout.

Italy showed their class early and Totti scored just 10 minutes into the game. The Azzuri had a few more chances in the first half, including an open header by Vieri, but the Ghana keeper made a great save on it. Ghana earned a few shots early in the 2nd half but couldn't beat Buffon. Then Italy regained control of the game and Totti smashed in a shot from at least 20 meters out, right over the keepers head to make it 2-0 in the 64th minute. Nine minutes later (73rd minute) Vieri got another chance to head in a ball, and didn't miss this time, increasing the lead to 3-0. Italy took their foot off the gas and were content with that scoreline.

[​IMG]

Matchday 2
    Czech Republic 3 - 0 Ghana
    Italy 1 - 1 United States

Ghana had an amazing diving header in the 12th minute, and clearly beat Cech, but it somehow hit the crossbar and didn't score. Muntari put the ball into the net in the 18th minute, but the refs saved the Czechs and ruled it offsides. Around the 40th minute the ball got knocked into the Ghana penalty box and somehow found its way to Nedved's feet and he tapped it into the goal to give the Czechs a 1-0 lead heading into half time. The Czechs had to play with just 10 men for the entire 2nd half after the left wingback was sent off within seconds of the restart. Ghana had several chances to equalize with the reduced defense, but somehow could not put it past Cech. Then, against the run of play again, the Czechs earned a corner and Koller rose above everyone to easily head it in. It was 2-0 for the Czechs with just 20 minutes left in the game. The Czechs scored another ridiculous goal in the closing minutes of the half as another skirmish in the box resulted in another Czech goal. The game ended 3-0 for the Czechs despite Ghana dominating most of the match.

USA nearly got the first goal on a corner kick in the 20th minute when McBride won the ball in the box, but Buffon made a diving save to keep it out. Italy responded on the other end, in the 33rd minute, with a ball swung in from the left. Vieri got to it first, and headed it past Keller. The score stood at 1-0 heading into half time. Right after half time, in the 50th minute, the USA scored the equalizer as Italy failed to clear it and Buffon was too slow getting across the line. A half hour passed without much action, then Italy won a corner kick and Vieri nearly got his third goal of the tournament. Keller made the save though, and the score stood at 1-1 until the end of the match.

[​IMG]

Matchday 3
    Czech Republic 2 - 1 Italy
    United States 0 - 0 Ghana

Baros nearly scored in the 8th minute, beating Buffon but hitting the post. Smicer and Rosicky also narrowly missed a few chances as the Czechs dominated the opening 25 minutes of the half. Italy then scored on a fantastic shot by Fiore who caught Cech out of his net in the 35th minute. Finally, in the 64th minute Baros sent a rocket of a cross into the box and Smicer met it in stride, forcing it into the net and leveling the score at 1-1. The Czechs kept up the pressure and Baros forced Buffon into an amazing save. A corner was conceeded though and on the the following kick Smicer won the ball and scored again, 2-1 for the Czechs!! The Czechs held firm in the final 10 minutes and finally earned a victory, clinching a spot in the next round.

The USA, needing at least a draw to advance, came out with a conservative strategy. They were more worried about not letting Ghana (who hadn't scored a goal all tournament) score than trying to score themselves. Ghana, already eliminated due to the USA-Italy draw, had no ambition of taking the game to the USA either. This caused the first half to be very dull, ending as it started, 0-0. The second half didn't see a lot of action either and both sides were content to settle for the draw. It would send the USA through and give Ghana a respectable end to their World Cup campaign.

[​IMG]

*I used Winning Eleven 8 international with 5* difficulty on 15 minute halves. I let the CPU control both teams for every game. I did this so that my (lack of) skills wouldn't affect the outcome. :p

2. jbgeach

jbgeach Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Chattanooga, TN
    Great Post, I did a similar simlation using FIFA 2006. 3 teams with 6 points and Ghana with 0. The US was left out on GD. I hope winning eleven is a better predictor than FIFA

3. happii20

happii20 New Member

Dec 10, 2005
    This is interesting. I hope this simulation wont translate into reality. From my dreamland the story was different.

Ghana vrs Italy 3:1
    Ghana vrs Chez 3:1
    Ghana vrs USA 3:0

I hope this translates into reality. Whatever it is Ghana is scoring 9 goals. South Africa beat Mexico recently. They were no match to the Ghanains both home and away. Catch ya in germany.

4. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    who scored all the goals

5. happii20

happii20 New Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Hmmmm Asamoah Gyan, Asamoah JoeTex and Sulley Muntari netted these goals for Ghana in the second half. Totti scored for Italy.

The next game Essien, Appiah and Asamoah Gyan made it 3 again.

Against USA, o my God it was more taht what South Africa did to them in the 2000 world cup. However we did not want to burry them in avalanche of goals. Only 3 goals were scored by Sulley, Mathew Amoah and Asamoah Gyan. Gyan is fast becoming a goal poacher for the Black Stars.

6. Justin Z

Justin Z Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Club:
    Heart of Midlothian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2000 World Cup? :confused:

7. Jet$on

Jet$on Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Old Blighty
    Club:
    Portsmouth FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    woww u actually listened to my idea©( which i have copyrighted already so you poachers cant steal it).

8. happii20

happii20 New Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Wow....I mean 2001 South Korea loss. Certainly not the world cup. I don't think USA has ever loss a game to an African Country in the Senior world cup yet. May be US will loose this year ):.

9. Reycd

Reycd Member

May 6, 2003
    HONK!! HONK!!
    Club:
    Real Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    Tahiti
    Damnit, now your going to make me want to do it..

Ima try with Pre Evo Soc 5.

edit: nvm, no ghana...:(

10. Jet$on

Jet$on Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Old Blighty
    Club:
    Portsmouth FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    everyone should do it then we can get an average. if one team wins every time and they have low odds to win WC outright im betting on them

11. happii20

happii20 New Member

Dec 10, 2005
    I am actually expecting Ghana to score 9 goals in the first round. In their last three games this year, they did score 9 goals. Against South Africa(2), Saudi Arabia(3) and Cape verde(4). Ofcourse, the opposition in the world cup is much stronger, however, do not forget all these matches were played in the opponents home country.

12. Sinter

Sinter New Member

Oct 12, 2003
    New York City, U.S.A
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Ghana scores 9 goals in the first round it would be one of the more shocking things in WC history. I highly doubt you'll get 3 goals or so each against the likes of Buffon, Cech and Keller. Ghana has some good players, but it's their first time ever in the WC. In an easier group they might've made the round of 16. Just don't see them doing it here.

13. SoccerKing007

SoccerKing007 Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Sinter,

I guess you do not know anything about Ghana Soccer. They have been very unlucky not to qualify for previous WCs. But they do have the players to make an impact.

FYI Ghana has own Italy in other football competitions. They have never met in the Senior level, but olympics and youth soccer, Italy has not been a match for Ghana.

2004 Athens Olympics, Ghana schooled Italy. Ghana was up 2-0 at halftime and Italy came back to tie 2-2.

1996 Atlanta Olympics, I was at RFK when Ghana beat Italy 3 to 2. Italy had the best goalkeeper at the time in goal.

1993 FIFA U-17 World Cup in Japan, Ghana 4 Italy 1. Italy had Totti and Buffon. Ghana also had Sammy Kufour in defense.

This Ghana team can play with the best in the World. Look at what they did to Saudi Arabia in the Saudi capital recently. Ghana 3 SA 1. Ghana has not lost a game in almost 2 years.

14. happii20

happii20 New Member

Dec 10, 2005

Oh yes shocking things are going to happen. I remembe when Senegal beat France in the world cup, people were surprised. Many Africans were not. Teams like Guinea, Zambia, Congo, Morocco could have done the same thing. Eventually they will come and do it. But watch this out, Ivory Coast will beat Argentina(that should be news) but they will.

It is a fact that Ghana is going to be in the Senior World Cup for the first time. The players do not consider themselves as "newbies". They are full of vengeance, sad that the world never saw some of the finest players from Ghana. You do not know the dribble magician Mohammed Polo, George Alhassan, Abedi Pele, Tony Yeboah, Baba Yara, Shamo Quaye, and a host of others. Those who will be coming to the world cup to play for Ghana may not be the best talent we have ever had(may not make the best third team of the glorious Black Stars), but most determined and well exposed to the world.
    They have played almost all the players/teams from the youth level to the Olympics. They have advanced through these years and are doing well in their European teams. For example:
    Osei Kuffour------B. Munchen/ AS Roma
    Stephen Appiah------ Parma/ Juventus/Fernebache
    Michael Essien-------Lyon/Chelsea
    Sulley Muntari-------Udinise
    These are just examples of some of the players we are going to see in the world cup.

15. Jet$on

Jet$on Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Old Blighty
    Club:
    Portsmouth FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    good midfield then

16. happii20

happii20 New Member

Dec 10, 2005

You are right. There has been a progressive development in Ghana youth soccer over the years. I really hope they do well.
    Consider Ghana. Ghana won Gold FIFA under 17(1991), Silver FIFA under 17(1993), won Silver Wolrd Youth(1993), won Bronze Olympics Soccer(1992), won Gold FIFA under 17(1995), Silver World Youth(2001). And now for the first time they have qualified for the world cup. If this does not point to the futuere what else.

17. Dirkhrod

Dirkhrod New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    ROM / GER
    This Ghana hype is funny, but claiming they will score 3 goals against every team in the group is beyond ridiculous. Especially since this theory is based upon results at junior levels and comparisons with South Africa (especially since SA has changed a lot in the last years, and not positively).

Yes, an African team has many chances to spring up a surprise, but I strongly doubt it will be Ghana. I'd say Cote D'Ivoire (excepting Tunisia and Morocco the best African team by far), or Togo, because they are very hard to judge and have nothing to lose.

Ghana goes into the WC with high expectations and will be very disappointed. No African team going with high expectations has achieved anything. Cameroon and Senegal were outsiders when they surprised the world, and this is why I believe Togo has a better chance to be the African revelation. Ghana has too much talent for its own good, and players such as Essien or Appiah don't have enough to prove. The team is chronically underachieving and I do not believe them to be able to surpass the Czechs (which are very old foxes and have plenty of talent too) or the Italians. Even the US are more experienced and it will show.

Yes, Ghana has great results at junior levels, but then why isn't Argentina World Champion since they win the U-20s on a regular basis ? Because between junior and senior levels there is a huge difference in a player's approach. At U-20 or U-17, skill is much more important because things like experience, cynicism, composure, professionalism and opportunism are minimal. It always come to skill and enthusiasm and Ghana has plenty of both. What Ghana lacks is coolness and team spirit, in fact it is a problem Nigeria has as well, and Cameroon and most African teams (not Cote D'Ivoire though, to their credit). Ghana aren't killers, and while the likes of Asamoah Gyan can beat a 20 year old Italian defender with no first team experience, they won't beat Nesta or Ujfalusi or Jankulovski or Gattuso. And because Ghana thinks they deserve to win just because of the talent of Essien and Appiah, they will get frustrated and Essien will eventually see a red card and Ghana's dream will be over. And Sammy Kuffour will be crying his eyes out just as he did in 99 when Bayern lost that final. I still have that image in front of my eyes and it is an image representative for Ghana.

Ghana is under pressure and will fail. It is under pressure because it desperately wants to prove that all those previous failures were just bad luck. Maybe they were. Yet again, I see Tunisia making it to the WC on a regular basis without that much talent. They just do their job and qualify. Same as Togo. Were Ghana in any other group, they would have watched the WC on TV, but they drew the crumbling South Africa and DR Congo. And now they will finally get their chance to prove they belong there. Unlike Togo or Angola who can play relaxed, Ghana MUST win. And this is why they won't, because they will not live up to the pressure.

I don't have anything against Ghana, don't get me wrong. I was really happy when they qualified because I dislike SA and DR Congo, and there are players I like in the Ghana team. It's just that they have too heavy a burden to bear and I am convinced they are not up to it. Just as I was convinced my country couldn't qualify, and they didn't. Because to win at this level, you need much more than talent, you need ruthlessness and cynicism, and Ghana lacks both.

18. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ghana may end up shocking the world, but there's no way in... something or other... that they're going to score 9 goals in 3 games against 3 of the world's best goalkeepers. 5 goals. Tops. This is not going to be a high scoring group.

19. roma/totti

roma/totti Red Card

Dec 14, 2005
    ya keep dreaming

20. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep dreaming about what?

I don't think claiming that a World Cup newbie in a very strong group isn't going to score 3 goals per game is all that daring a prediction...

21. roma/totti

roma/totti Red Card

Dec 14, 2005
    i mis-read that post....my bad

22. Sinter

Sinter New Member

Oct 12, 2003
    New York City, U.S.A
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying Ghana might shock people and advance to the round of 16. They jus won't be scoring 9 goals doing so.

Dirkhrod has it right. Italy, USA, and to the same extent the Czechs, have been to the World stage before and have the experience needed to be able to handle the pressure. This is Ghana's first time here, and they're expected to do great things. Same with the Ivory Coast. They will most likely crumble under the pressure. When Senegal beat France in '02, they came very under the radar to do it. France was also beginning their great decline, which is still happening, barely qualifying for this World Cup.

23. gobucks33

gobucks33 New Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Wow, this started out as a pretty cool post on a simulated game. Why does every thread have to end up with how ghana is going to do? You should all apologize to Zeek for ruining his thread. Oh, and thanks for the info...that's pretty cool even though it might be slightly biased depending on who the makers of each game are. lol But i can't say I'm unhappy to see the good ole US of A advancing. :D

I'd encourage others to do this on similations and see what happens. It's fun and entertaining.