Simple lesson - never give up, play till the very end

Discussion in 'Coach' started by NewDadaCoach, Oct 25, 2020.

1. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    You've seen it happen before. The favorite is up early on. Seems they have the game in the bag, but somehow, some way, the scrappy underdog finds a way to mount a comeback.

Last weekend, Tottenham Hotpurs came out guns a blazing, and went up 3-0 in within the first 15 minutes.

The underdog, West Ham United, seemed finished. But, in the last 8 minutes they scored 3 goals to tie it up.

It happens all the time in my pickup games. We go down several goals. But come back. I know it's not over till it's over. I never give up. There is nothing gained by giving up. I know there is always a chance. You have to fight till the end. You have to. Anything can happen in soccer.

A simple but important lesson!

2. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    Never give up:

3. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Neg rep for no trigger warning.

4. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    :laugh:

5. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    one of my happy coaching memories: 8v8 u12, down 3-0 at the half. I ask them "what do you guys see out there" and one of my two soccer smart kids says "we're playing with it too much in the middle, they're packed in. we need to get wide first". We get 2 doing that but then concede a 4th with 15 minutes to go. The subs exchange a "we got this" and we draw 4-4. Never give up!

NewDadaCoach repped this.
  6. danielpeebles2

Dec 3, 2013
    when I was learning how to play golf, I read a book by Greg Norman. In it he said, "never fire off a 'quit shot' "

a quit shot is what you do when you realize you've lost to your opponent and your score no longer matters. you don't line up square with your target, you aren't paying attention to fundamentals, and you are going through the motions. It's bad because it makes you a worse player in general.

I think that's good advice for anything you do in life. "never fire off a 'quit shot' "

stphnsn repped this.
  7. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    It goes both ways. My boys have started hitting their "quit shots" when we're up 3 goals this season. That's just as bad as doing it when you're down 3.

CoachP365 repped this.
  8. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    Amazing match. Tottenham trailed Leicester 1-2 after the 94th minute. Yet came back to win 3-2.
    The latest a team has ever trailed in a Premier League match and come back to win.

Never give up