Silvestre

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sildegil, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Sildegil

Sildegil New Member

May 15, 2002
    How do you rate silvestre?

Do you think he is better as a left back or as a CB?

As you may know, the main problem for Santini (France NT manager) is to know who will be his CB pair.

He will have to choose between several players as Desailly, Gallas, Mexes, Boumsong, Silvestre or even Thuram, with Sagnol as a right back.

It will probably be Desailly - Silvestre. Do you think it would be the best choice?

2. Acronym

Acronym BigSoccer Yellow Card

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    hes pretty much a rock in manyoo defence and IMO has been the most improved player in the last few seasons he says hes best at CB i cant really argue hes distribution of the ball is beckham-esque accuracy from left to right 40-50 yard passes + hes rapid and strong and good in the air top player

3. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Silvestre has been played very well this year.

From the little I've seen of Mexes, he seems excellent in distribution, but perhaps not as good of a pure defender. Boumsong... he was good when I saw him, but isn't he going to Rangers? I know they're a decent side, but you have to wonder. Incidentally, why Desailly? Hasn't Gallas been playing better? Every time I see Chelsea, I'm impressed by Gallas when he plays. Desailly is solid, but at his age, he's less spectacular.

I think I'd want Gallas and Silvestre.

4. Mac_Howard

Mac_Howard New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Mandurah, Perth, WA
    I think Silvestre is a very competent CB but he's particularly useful to Utd because he's a proactive player where the other CBs are reactive - whereas Ferdinand and Brown, in particular, will hold back and watch the play and choose their moment to intervene, Silvestre moves in quickly and imposes himself on the attacking players. Having these two types complementing each other is more effective than two players of the same (either) type. Sol Campbell plays the same role with Rio in the England setup.

One problem I do have with Silvestre, however, is his tendancy to play short balls in and around his own box when he really should get it out of danger. On several occasions he's created a problem in defence by losing the ball with a short, risky pass, when hoofing it into touch or upfield would have been a far better option. I can't remember off the top of my head if he's given a goal away with this but he's certainly been pretty close to it on a couple of occasions and I do recall screaming at him "get rid!" (or some such :rolleyes: ) more than once causing my wife to come running into the room in panic only to decide "oh no, you're watching Utd again!" :)

5. Potomac Red Devil

Aug 12, 2003
    Indiana
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is my only problem with his play as well. Otherwise he is rock solid.

6. BrianJ 22

BrianJ 22 New Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Australia
    Silvestre has been playing well not just this year but since he first arrived, he is so underrated.

France coulda had won the world cup if he had started :)

7. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Silvestre is a CB. That's the position he prefers and the position he does well in. The bonus is that he has experience on the left and can move out there if needed. I always felt that Inter should've held onto him. But that's the thing with some clubs, they're willing to buy and sell players all the time.

8. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont know how anyone could say Sylvestre has "beckham-esque" accuracy with his passes. He's a very solid defender, and im happy to have him, but the entire time he was playing on the left i think i saw him hit maybe 3 good crosses.

9. Acronym

Acronym BigSoccer Yellow Card

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    we never scored of a beckham corner u know lol.. havent you seen silvestre hit 50 yard cross field passes yet with radar accuracy? and i mean CB.

pretty good fo a defender

10. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Vestry is top banana and is joint top with Scholsie in the most under-rated league.

Think he can do LB or CD equally well, but since the discovery of Quinton as LB we now have plenty of cover there.

Having a proper 'leftie' as one of the CDs is not to be under-rated either and is pretty rare.

11. Bizzo

Bizzo New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    toronto
    Silvestre has been pretty solid the last year or so, but he was terrible the first few years he was at United. I lost count of the number of goals he gave to opposing strikers giftwrapped (Xmas on the mind).

12. BrianJ 22

BrianJ 22 New Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Australia
    Quinton to me is the most improved man utd defensive player of the season. He changed from been a midfield player to a LB. He can tackle, he charge up the field like O'Shea, and he can cross and set up goals.

Anyway, Man Utd has got the best defense in the premier league. No improvement is needed as it might just backfires. I want to see Brown getting back on the team to cover for Rio

13. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    that is true, both counts... however, Rio is banned and we don't know how long Silvestre or O'Shea will be out for... or how well Brown will comeback from injury

14. BrianJ 22

BrianJ 22 New Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Australia
    Yes, lets hope Brown can get though January to May without another injury.