Silverdome Sells - Site For Soccer Team?

Discussion in 'Detroit' started by blazindw, Nov 16, 2009.

1. DanTheMan474

DanTheMan474 New Member

Jul 28, 2008
    This goes to show why the only person I'd follow for any potential serious plans of pro soccer of some type in SE Michigan is Dan Duggan.

2. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't say the ONLY person but someone else would definitely have to have their ducks in a row for me to believe in them.

3. Spectator1

Spectator1 New Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Club:
    Panathinaikos Athens
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    I agree with that. Hey we agreed on somthing. This is going to be a beautiful beging to a beautiful friendship:)

4. Spectator1

Spectator1 New Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Club:
    Panathinaikos Athens
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    http://www.motorcitysupporters.com/

WOW This is what it reads
    "Silverdome update (1/9/10)
    Saturday, 09 January 2010 18:28 administrator
    We at the Motor City Supporters have recently spoken for the first time with one of the new owners of the Pontiac Silverdome, and we are absolutely positive it won't be the last. He informed us that there is a lot going on behind the scenes and that good things will come from their ownership. More details will be shared as they are released. In the meantime, bookmark the Motor City Supporters website, as we are your first source for information on the developments with Triple Sports & Entertainment and their newest acquisition, the Silverdome.

What are your thoughts on Major League Soccer in the Silverdome? We would love to hear from you. Also, we have direct access to the new owners, and they are interested in what Detroit soccer fans think about the idea, so speak up!"

5. leland_palmer

leland_palmer New Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    World Cup soccer team set to play at Silverdome

POSTED BY JAMES JAHNKE
    FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

The Silverdome will host the senior men's national soccer teams from Malaysia, Kenya, Puerto Rico and Ghana in the inaugural Green Soccer Bowl in May.

For Ghana, the May 20-21 tournament will serve as a tune-up for the following month's World Cup.

http://www.freep.com/article/20100215/SPORTS18/100215031/1202/rss

6. DetroitTFC

DetroitTFC BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 14, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Confirmed by multiple sources. Not exactly sure how the organizers plan to get enough people in the door to pay the expenses of putting this on. I guesstimate about $250K (flying teams from Africa and Asia, and also the closer ones, lodging, what ever the guy from Toronto is charging for the use of dome, whatever payday each country's soccer assoc wants for their team's participation, etc.), unless of course, there are some other events that are bringing the teams to the US, who knows. So, need to sell 10K full fare $25 tickets over four midweek games on top of the free giveaway tickets that are always part of these things. That's going to be mighty tough.

7. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish this were on a weekend...I'm sure it would get much more attendance, especially from nationals from those countries living in the U.S. They won't even have a chance to get to the 'Dome for the games unless they take 2 days off work.

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This may work out perfectly...my parents are from Detroit, and my wife's Kenyan! That might be worth a few days off work!

9. Toon16

Toon16 Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sounds great. I'd imagine it would be a full Ghana squad too.

10. DetroitTFC

DetroitTFC BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 14, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a little surprised that all the occupancy/safety permits and operating licenses are already in place for the Silverdome. Despite constantly raising questions and concerns, I really do want to have a decent large venue for world football. I just want it done well so that we have a prospect for future events, especially US MNT games.

11. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    World Cup 2010 teams cannot play between 15-23 May as stipulated by FIFA - so it won't be the full Ghana squad, even if the tournament is actually real.

12. Spectator1

Spectator1 New Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Club:
    Panathinaikos Athens
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
  13. opal347

opal347 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2005
    Clinton Twp, MI
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read the articles? MCS officers (including myself) attended the press conference. I was very impressed by their presentation and their plans for the future. The Silverdome itself doesn't look all that bad considering it's been empty for the last few years (although I admit the new owners may have fooled my eyes with their recent touch-ups). Things are going to get very interesting in the near future, especially with the Green Soccer Bowl coming up in May.

14. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    so no local pro soccer team?

15. opal347

opal347 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2005
    Clinton Twp, MI
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny thing about that. A member of the media specifically brought up the question about having Major League Soccer here at some point.

The answer? They're in discussions and are open to having any sort of professional sports team becoming a major tenant.

Take that how you wish.

16. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    I can't possibly imagine MLS would want to put a team in the Silverdome as is, unless they tear down the Silverdome and put up a soccer specific stadium in its place, for which, as it stands now, isn't going to happen in the forseeable future.