Silicon Valley Welcomes W!

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Roel, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  2. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its about time Dubya started getting dogged by protests. Good work, Cardinal!

3. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Friggin childish...

4. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Outstanding work by the Stanford folks. "Smart people against Bush"... that's just beautiful. Well done, folks :)

5. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Nah, sitting at home doing nothing is higher up on the immaturity scale. They should speak their peace. (Pun intended). This was my favorite sign from the story:

``Jesus Weren't No Damn Warlord.''

6. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Opponents and Supporters also met up with Dubya up in West Sac.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/politics/story/14246891p-15064661c.html

Its California, the numbers seem about right to me. And no, I did not bother to join the protest.

7. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I run a small company that focuses on property development. We were working in Saratoga Friday afternoon and we saw Air Force One fly by. I had a crew of five other guys working there. I told them that was W up in that plane. The entire crew wanted to head out a yell at him. I said "no." Priorities. Get the work done! It would've been fun to go to Stanford, though.

8. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Hey, I'm 3/4 the way thru painting the outside of my house, and my flooring is due in the 2nd week of June, with the installer coming 1st of July. I still have three rooms to paint and ...

Doing nothing aint my style. We gotta hurry up though... Hurricane season is right around the corner...

9. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since when is exercising a right childish?

10. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Especially when it takes a "safe" Republican place away from the Bushies. I've long ago maintained that Stanford University is a reasonable and friendly organization. This incident just goes further to increase my regard for them. In this case, they were very effective in letting W know that he is not welcomed here.

11. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    So much for free speech and all

I'll defend your right to say whatever you wish, as long as you agree with me, but if you don't I will shout you down and block your path

Or I do not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it

I wonder which one the kiddies are learning these days

12. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're kidding right? Please tell me you're kidding.

13. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Yea I was referring to the [gross overgeneralization] pouty little rich kids at Stanford [/gross overgeneralization]. :D

Good to hear the update. I was going to bump the "on the ground . . ." thread because I was curious how things were going.

14. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Jesus you are messed up. ;)

Do you realize that you just supported an argument for getting rid of all of those pesky ordinary citizens holding up signs that express their opinion so that the leader of the free world is protected in his first amendment right of speech?

I am guessing this is just your dry wit shining through, but as a best case scenario, it wasn't really funny.

15. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Pouty rich kids at Stanford????? No!!!

I'm gonna update the on the ground thread pretty soon. I am trying to get a website up associated with all of the mess...

16. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

Yes

We should kill them all

17. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You still are not funny. Perhaps you need a break.

18. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

Right sorry

we should torture them first

A little time in a Jordanian prison might do them good

19. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago

Where you are only released from your 8' x 8' cell once a day to be schooled by Michael in the rec yard?

See, I'm just trying to give you examples of things that are not funny so that you can learn. ;)

20. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be funnier in the Ejo forum. But I do understand you've taken your finishing lessons from the BushCo school of international diplomacy.

21. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    A little torture goes a long way Revolt

It's a lot of fun you should try it some time

But would reading your own posts have the same outcome ?

Hmmmmmmm

22. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not everybody at Stanford is rich. Nothing about digging in the Executive's ass can be characterised as "pouty" at this point.

Are you anywhere near, or do you know anything about, "Renaissance Village?" If so, tell us about it; how might it be described/characterised?

23. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Yankee, if Renassance Village is what I think it is, and if it has been destroyed, would you do me a favor and salt the earth where it once stood?

[​IMG]

24. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Renaissance Village started off just north of Baton Rouge and is, I believe, the largest FEMA trailer park. Intended to help the most destitute of those left homeless by the storm. Several NGO's are involved in its operation and, depending on who you ask, the results are mixed. Crime seems somewhat low (relatively speaking). Medical services, etc are provided there. Soon there will be child care as well, I think. Time will tell how successful the effort will be.

Though I live across the lake from New Orleans, I actually work in Baton Rouge, so Renaissance Village is not far from here.

A good report can be found here:
    http://www.nola.com/frontpage/t-p/index.ssf?/base/news-5/114482217430910.xml

25. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    As a former pouty rich kid who went to Stanford who worked at the Hoover Institution on War, Revolution and Peace, I can tell you that this makes me very happy.

Even though another good name for Leland Stanford Junior University is "Kids Who Will One Day Be Pretty Good Republicans University".