Signup for Drafted EPL Roto League

Discussion in 'Games & Fantasy' started by DoctorJones24, Jun 14, 2009.

1. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Well, I've read enough on the FAQ posted in the Small Rocks thread about transfer changes to know that I'd like to test out the Times game. I figure we need at least 8 members, no more than 12.

We could think of it as a trial run for the Small Rocks league, with possible migration to the game next year, or just as it's own self-contained entity. Personally, I greatly prefer the roto format for fantasy sports, as it involves actual strategy and analysis beyond mere addition. Players don't all get broken down to one single number (total pts), but instead have to be evaluated based on relative weights that each manager will have to figure for himself.

So respond to this thread if interested. We'll do the offline draft and then I'll enter the teams once we're done. Or I might enlist someone else to be commish and do that, as my travel schedule is crazy in late July and early August.

Anyway, here's the FAQ posted in the other thread.

http://playthegame.timesonline.co.uk/soccer/help/faq.asp

Q. Does it cost money to play?
    A. No, the Game is free to play for the entire season. However, you should be aware that you may be subject to charges depending on your own arrangements for internet access.
    Q. Will my League have its own message board?
    A. Yes, each League will have access to its own private league message board.

Q. What is the scoring system used?
    A. All Leagues are scored using a "rotisserie" format. Rotisserie leagues rank each of the Teams in the League from first to last in ten (10) statistical categories - five (5) categories for goalkeepers and defenders and five (5) categories for midfielders and forwards.
    Q. What statistical categories are used in scoring?
    A. There are two groups with five categories each (each category is known as a Scoring Event) 1. GOALKEEPERS & DEFENDERS ONLY - Clean Sheets, Goals and Assists, Defence (Total of: Interceptions/Tackles/Blocks), Minutes Played, Points (as per club results). 2. MIDFIELD PLAYERS & FORWARDS ONLY - Goals, Assists, Successful Passes, Minutes Played, Points (as per club results).

Q. How often can I change the players in my Team?
    A. Team changes can be made daily if you wish. A squad may be edited up to 5 minutes before the start of any player's Eligible Game that day. Once a player's match has started they become a "Frozen" player and cannot be moved again until the following day. If that "frozen" player is in an Active position, that position is also frozen. Other players in the squad can continue to be moved/made Active up until their 5 minutes before their match starts.

Q. How will I know if a player is dropped from another Team or is new to the Premier League and might be available to add to my Squad?
    A. To allow all members of a League a fair opportunity to add a player to their Team, players that are dropped from a squad in your League or that are new to the Premier League are placed on notice for a 48-hour period starting once the player is dropped or signed to a Premier League club. Any Team may claim a player on notice, but will not be awarded the player until the 48-hour notice period has ended. So, if a player is dropped on a Tuesday at 1 pm, all Teams in that League can claim that player until Thursday at 1 pm. The player will then be assigned to his new Team approximately 1 hour after the claim deadline.

2. 1800-WorldCup

1800-WorldCup Read Nomadic Gatherings - TravelNotes.org/magun

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Aug 5, 2001
    Europe
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  3. Ingromius

Ingromius Member

Feb 3, 2000
    NW London
    Yah I'll give it a try too...

4. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Oh, we're going old school, original Small Rocks league members so far. Nice!

5. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999
    I'm in.

6. Captain Orange

Captain Orange New Member

Jun 2, 2009
    I'm not quite "officially" a Rocks member yet, but if that doesn't matter then I'm in.

7. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    No problem. You'll be the veteran in this game, right?

Anyway, that gives us 5.

8. vegas2u

vegas2u Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    I'll play.

9. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I'll do it.

10. tarvinodos

tarvinodos Member+

Jul 17, 2008
    Long Beach, CA
    I'll give it a go.

11. 1800-WorldCup

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Aug 5, 2001
    Europe
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Also Interesting

Q. Can I register for more than one Team?
    A. Yes, you can enter a maximum of four (4) Teams per email address. Your Teams can be in the same or different leagues.

:cool:

12. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  13. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'll give it go. I can't be worse than I already am with the PL site.

14. tarvinodos

tarvinodos Member+

Jul 17, 2008
    Long Beach, CA
    I played this last season. We need to make sure we have a league set up so it looks like we are almost there. If anyone has additional teams they will be part of a random or different leagues.

15. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm in, played last year, be nice to have more active competition there

16. Captain Orange

Jun 2, 2009
    Anybody want to nominate a name for this league?

17. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The only person you should fear is yourself and your "management strategy" if it can be called that :D

18. tarvinodos

tarvinodos Member+

Jul 17, 2008
    Long Beach, CA
    Roto

19. 1800-WorldCup

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Aug 5, 2001
    Europe
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    League

Is there a league set up and how do we get in it?

20. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Re: League

I'll do it this week if the league site is up and ready to go.

21. Captain Orange

Jun 2, 2009

Looks like I am to be Dust admin, and that coupled with also playing Guardian, Virgin, and Telegraph, means I will need to drop out of this league. Hopefully that doesn't mess things up, since you haven't started it yet.

22. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999

Dust League Admin is a no time job. Just establish the initial FPL Dust 2009_10 Private League and invite the other Dust Managers to join.

The Draft Administrator job will come with my help and it will all be over by probably 8 Aug. It won't interfere with the Roto League.

Now as to your other conflicts, that's up to you to decide if you've taken on too much.

23. Captain Orange

Jun 2, 2009

OK then, I will modify my stance. If you end up with an "awkward" number of managers (such as too many), I won't feel the least bit offended if me dropping out helps square things. So count me in only if my inclusion makes for a "good" number of managers (kind of like a "swing vote").

24. 1800-WorldCup

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Aug 5, 2001
    Europe
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Signed Up For Too Much

I always start the season playing too many fantasy games.

In the end, it comes down to which managers I want to compete against the most and where they're playing.

:D

25. Footy Magoo

Footy Magoo Audaces fortuna iuvat

Mar 23, 2009
    ♫ Flugelville

The Guardian isn't having the game this season.