Sigi Schmid

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hangthadj, Dec 26, 2018.

1. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  2. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing, if you make a donation to the UCLA fund, according to the NCAA, it makes you a "booster". For life. And there are rules and regulations that go with that. I am not sure if that affects a person vis-a-vis UCLA or all NCAA schools.

So if you work with HS age kids as a coach, etc.....

And some of those rules are dumb and arcane--I almost got in trouble for giving some gymnasts some chocolate chip cookies once.

But I'm already a "booster" so I may just send in a donation.

This has been a pretty s*cky day.

3. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Rest In Peace

4. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way he was reported entering the hospital, the veil of secrecy surrounding the details... it always seemed as though something serious was happening. What a terrible loss. It's odd that when I heard of GBS going to the Galaxy, my first thought was of Sigi, how we got him in Columbus when LA foolishly sacked him. Ten years ago, we were still basking in the glow of that MLS Cup win, knowing that we were likely to lose Sigi to Seattle. US soccer has lost an icon. R.I.P., Sigi.

5. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I had the same feeling too after updates gone silent that it was pretty serious. I was expecting the worst. He'll be missed.

8. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sad, sad day in Crewville. RIP, Sigi.

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  9. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Big Guy

[​IMG]

Ch(Elsey), ibrew, Tobias C and 9 others repped this.
  10. QuarkspaceDotCom

Mar 14, 2000
    Deep in the Bluegrass Hinterlands
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Can a mod please fix the title in the MLS:NA Sigi thread?

11. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a very nice piece. I recommend that everyone reads it. FYI, as the article notes, Sigi was in need of a heart transplant.

Soccer aside, we knew the real reason we lost Sigi in 2008: family. He was going to have an opportunity to coach on the west coast; not Southern California, exactly, but the same time zone, and in a city with tons of cheap daily nonstop flights to/from LA. I couldn't, then, begrudge him the opportunity to be that much closer to his home and family. I know he was driven to remain involved in the sport, but I see the way his last two jobs ended as, in a way, a blessing. Seattle sacking him gave him the opportunity to get back to LA. And the Galaxy firing him in September meant he was - finally - able to spend what ended up being his last months with his family; not on a Skype or phone call, or shuttle to/from the airport, but in his own home. I recall him hanging with Crew fans (Fourth Steeet Bar & Grill, right?) on a return visit to Columbus shortly after taking the Seattle job; thinking at the time what a caring and classy move that was. We were damned fortunate to have been associated with Sigi Schmid. But I'm happy for Sigi and his family that he finally found his way back home.

Ch(Elsey), redi44crew, TrueCrew and 5 others repped this.
  12. 96er

96er Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Columbus
    I named my dog after the man. We got Sigmund in 2011, 3 solid years after Sigi had left to coach Seattle. What a remarkable coach with a unique ability to take control of a messy organization and completely turn it around, leaving it in a much better state than he found it.

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  13. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    ibrew, Draghignazzo, Robbiegoal and 2 others repped this.
  14. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To the first point, he wasn't the only high profile sports figure in need of a heart transplant this Christmas. Matt Millan did too--and got one on Christmas Eve, which must be hard, knowing that you are alive while another family is suffering on a holiday.

The second point is also a good one. Home and family are important. I'm just glad Sigi was part of our Crew family for the time he was. There's been a couple of times when my teams have lost players to other teams for this reason--and it's the one I don't mind--much.

15. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I shall share my Sigi story here. I got to interact with him on occasion--not that I was any one special--but he was always open to talking about soccer, and since I was on the Crew Chiefs in those days, I got to be around the stadium a bit. One day, in the concourse (and I couldn't tell you what event it was) we started talking about Steve Cherundolo. He'd played for Sigi with the U-20s. Sigi then went on to give a wonderful description of Dolo as he got ready for a game. Sigi noted that he was fairly reserved but the closer it got to game time, the more animated he got--saying "when do we play, when do we play!" over and over. It was a moment of insight into the game and its players.

That ended up meaning a lot to me personally. About the time I turned 50, I'd been having more and more trouble with my knees. I also began to realize that my own "when do we play" had turned into "I need to go for my team" and "do I have to go today". That told me that it was time to put my boots in the center circle and walk away (while I still could).

I am thankful for the memory of that chat with Sigi.

CrewSchmack, Minnman and CrewV Man repped this.
  16. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sigi's death breaks my heart. Rest in Peace Sigi and peace to his family.

ibrew repped this.
  17. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Sagz

Sagz Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Cbus
    He was the best Coach we have ever had, he transformed our team into something that was fun to watch and be a part of. I understood why he left, family is always important, but I also believe we didnt offer him what he was worth.

Sad loss for soccer.

ZipSix repped this.
  19. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really saddened to hear the news, especially feel sorry for the Family on losing him at Christmas.

With Transplants they are up since the overdoses epidemic, OSU has been doing record transplants, I was really surprised by this but didn't think you could use them but Fentanyl just stops your breathing and goes out of your system pretty fast.

20. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had one brief encounter with him.
    It was during the 2006 WC; it was after our third loss—to Ghana. They were showing the games in the tent at Crew Stadium.
    Bruce Arena was being interviewed on TV. Clearly he would be out as coach.
    Sigi happened to be walking by.
    I said to him, “So, will that be you in four years?”
    He kept walking, never missing a beat, and said “Huh!” under his breath as he went by. It was said in a tone of disdain.
    It’s made me wonder over the years if he’s had a falling out or bad relationship with US Soccer, considering he’s never really been in the conversation for coaching openings—when Bradley, Klinsmann, and Arena (pt II) were brought in.
    I also appreciate that he thought enough of the fans that he’d always wear the Crew scarf given to him by the fans.
    Rest in peace, Sigi.

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  21. Lichte for Life

Apr 13, 2007
    Save The Crew has done a great amount of good work (great work) to keep the Crew here in Columbus. Here's an idea: How about working on a statue of Sigi to be erected at the new stadium? Just a thought. With what the Save the Crew group has done thus far, I bet they would be able to make it happen

22. SLSHOT01

SLSHOT01 Member+

Columbus
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    Edison, Ohio
    It would be a nice tribute if LA, Columbus, and Seattle all carried a mark on the back of their uniforms this season in honor of this legendary coach.

RIP Sigi.

Minnman, the_rickler and TKyle repped this.
  23. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    I imagine anything would be more like the stone and memorial plaque like Fitz.
    [​IMG]

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  24. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im not one of these guys who want to tell the new owners what they should and shouldnt do, but that said:

The new stadium should include a pub or even an area with some stand up tables where fans can have a beer, called something like Sigis Place, in honor of a guy who did love a good beer.

Better than a plaque or a monument. Its the kind of thing he would have liked.

25. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thznks for the opportunity to say that, to me, Tom Fitzgerald founded the Crew. Any heart and soul it has comes directly from him.

What a man.