Sigh.....SSS Envy!

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by shasta, Nov 30, 2004.

1. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS
    http://ussoccerplayers.com/latest_soccer_news/457894.html

Fire, AEG and Village of Bridgeview Celebrate Historic Day
    CHICAGO, IL (Tuesday, November 30, 2004) MLS - After announcing plans for the construction of a world-class stadium for soccer, concerts and special events earlier this year, the Chicago Fire, its parent company, AEG, and the Village of Bridgeview today held the ceremonial groundbreaking for Bridgeview's new $70 million, 20,000-seat sports and entertainment stadium. The venue will house the Major League Soccer team permanently in Chicago's Southland region starting in the Spring of 2006.

Upon its completion, the venue will be only the fourth major soccer-specific stadium in the United States. FC Dallas is developing its new stadium in Frisco, Texas and the grand opening for the venue is staged for Spring 2005. Last year in Carson, California, AEG completed The Home Depot Center, home to MLS's Los Angeles Galaxy, CD Chivas USA and all U.S. National Soccer Teams. The Columbus Crew Stadium was inaugurated in 1999 as the first soccer-specific stadium in the country.

2. angra

angra New Member

Oct 10, 2001
    myfootongarbers'ass
    Ron Gonzalez is an "idiota."

3. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS
    Even the Rochester Rhinos are getting a stadium!!!!!!!!

http://www.rhinossoccer.com/stadium/

Looks like they will be sharing it, but that just shows how a new facility can be used year round' and benefit the entire community.

Man, I thought San Jose had a little more going for it than Rochester. Maybe I should send this link to Gonzo……

4. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Look, I understand that IF we get lucky enough to get a South Bay SSS, it's probably going to be more "Crew Stadium" than "Home Depot Center," due to financial issues. And I'm okay with that. But I'm not going to get misty-eyed over a minor league field that seats 13K (17K "w/expansion").

If you send this to RoGo, expect to be ignored. Hell, I'd lay serious odds messages about this stuff don't even GET to RoGo.

5. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS
    The point here, BM, is a minor league team, in a very small community, is getting solid funding and is getting a new stadium built, albeit a relatively small one.

6. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    And good for them.

How is the Rochester area doing financially, and how do their zoning, land and construction costs compare to here? Better than here? Worse?

7. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better include a mental-enema with that link or you're wasting your time.

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

8. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only way that the new South Bay SSS that'll be built within the next 2-3 surely won't be like the Toolbox is that it won't also include surrounding tennis courts, track & field facilities, a velodrome and whatnot.

As for the stadium itself (and perhaps also the surrounding practice/youth fields), it very well may be like the Toolbox... it all depends on whether it'll be be built mainly with private money or public money. If more the former, then expect a Toolbox-like stadium - if more the latter, then expect a Columbus Crew-like stadium (ironic, as Columbus Crew Stadium was completely privately-paid for).

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

9. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Mental floss?

10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't worry about Ron Gonzalez.

By the time we're celebrating the tenth-anniversary of the San Jose Earthquakes' South Bay SSS a little over a decade from now, Ron Gonzalez's name will at best be a tiny footnote in history. :)

-G

11. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS
    A nice thought to start the day!!

12. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D

Seeing as how some posters in other threads want to change the team's identity (or would at least embrace such a change) just to spite Ron Gonzales, my only question to that is: why? If anything, that would be giving Gonzales way too much credit.

Let's just let his term in office pass while we'll still be enjoying San Jose Earthquakes games in the comfort of wherever the South Bay SSS is built. :)

-G