Sidney Sam

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Kirsten19, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Have seen him play for a few times, i think he is an interesting talent.

Left footed, but he prefers playing on the right flank (just like Messi, Adam Johnson, Robben);
    He is very skillful but he isn't as "soft" as Marin;
    Very determined and has GREAt long shots. Sam has GREAT shooting ability, and way better than anyone the German NT have in his position

I am not saying he should be called to the NT yet, since the position is fairly competitive with players like Thomas Muller, Podolski, Marin, Reus, Kroos, Goetze, Holtby and co. competing for 2 starting spots at the wings. (Schurrle belongs to the U21 imo, he's a great prospect just that he isn't ready yet)
    But I think Sam should be under the radar.

I have no idea what Leverkusen's plan is. But i think with Barnetta, Sam and Renato on the flanks, they actually have the second best pair of wingers in the league, after Bayern of course.
    Helmes may replace Helmes who's unsettled in Leverkusen lately. After seeing Schurrle's game VS Nurnberg last week, as a striker beside Szalai, i think he can do well at the striker position. He did very well there last matchday. He is a good finisher and his positioning/off-the-ball is also very impressive.

Sidney Sam, is he still eligible to play for Nigeria? Or he doesn't have the citizenship at all?

2. Zullu

Zullu Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Has the hype-train arrived at Sydney Station yet?

3. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    As I've said, he may not be a NT candidate yet. But he is certainly making impression lately

I still prefer Marco Reus as I think he's even more proven and developed in the league. Talentwise, reus is also slightly ahead

4. Rodmaster

Rodmaster Member

Mar 1, 2006
    Aachen/Germany
    If Sidney Sam continues to perform like he is in the moment, it will not take long before he finds himself in the National Team.

5. humin12

humin12 Member+

Sep 20, 2008
    Ferguson, Missouri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Havne't watched many games of BMG this year, but hasn't Reus slowed down considerably?

6. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Gladbach as a whole has...but Reus was by far their best player when they played us last week, and what a goal he scored as well.

7. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He has actually exceeded expectations considering how Gladbach are doing.

8. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Sidney Sam was at Kaiserslautern he had several youth national team call ups.

9. Dalmar

Dalmar Member

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    upto speed:

Loew added he has been impressed with Ballack's Leverkusen team-mate Sidney Sam and is considering promoting the attacking midfielder with Germany due to face Italy in a friendly on February 9 in their next game.

"He could be a candidate. He has played well in recent months, he is fast, is a strong dribbler and has a good finish," said the coach.

Germany are top of Group A in their qualification campaign for Euro 2012 with four wins from four and have a five-point lead at the top of the table.

Sam is what the team really missing, elusiveness and the stretching the damn opponent.

10. Zullu

Zullu Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Poldi fcuk off?:p

11. Dremmler

Dremmler New Member

Dec 28, 2010
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The only time I've seen Marin play is during the WC, so I'm no expert, but I saw nothing remotely positive from this player. He did absolutely nothing but lose the ball repeatedly. I don't think he completed one pass besides the type where you just tap it to the guy a few feet away from you. Worthless.

12. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Well, I was one of the few who didn't even want the "German Messi" (lol) in the final 23 roster for the WC so I'm with you on that.

13. SlantNGo

SlantNGo Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    For Bremen he is a big attacking threat on the dribble, often beating several defenders and drawing fouls in the process. He does need to develop some more versatility to his game though because what works against average BL defenders won't work against Puyol and Cavalho.

14. cookiely

cookiely Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Club:
    FC Köln
  15. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Marin is not worthless. He is very inconsistent however and can give some horrible performances but he's gifted. Obviously, he is not Oezil, but he can cut in between players like no one in the NT and has the pace to do so.

16. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
  17. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    He would only ever be a sub for us.

I don't rate him that much. Flashes of brilliance and some gorgeous goals but invisible most of the time.

My opinion on Marin didn't change at all. I didn't even want him on the WC 2010 squad and he didn't do much this season to change my mind.

18. Dalmar

Dalmar Member

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid

I think Sam and and Belarabi have the talent to go all the way. ultimatly It is up to them to trust their talent and improve their game through hardwork and not to chose the easy way.

In a recent interview Loew suggested even the recent call- up are not upto his standard, Germany's starting eleven. He expects them to compete at the highest level before they earn spot. The Marin situation is all too familiar, Kroos too is said to have fallen in form. I think it is great to have a coach who sets the bar so high. In this respect u either improve constantly or find other countries. lol

19. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Even a sub, unless he's a very good sub, he'll never make it as a sub to begin with most of these young kids are overhyped because of their age.

Marin had a bad season this year, he is a good player but needs refinement and consistency, I am sure we'll be hearing from him again in a few more years.

20. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Kroos hasn't fallen in form, he wasn't even an attacking midfielder. On the contrary, he has become a better passer of the ball even. Leow is looking to slowly integrate him into the team to see if he can get something out of him.