Alert: Sidekicks new owner does not love the sidekicks

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by dallasindoorsoccer, Nov 14, 2015.

1. dallasindoorsoccer

Jan 2, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I know this a horrible thing to say but I do not believe the sidekicks new owners head coach and
    front office staff love sidekicks they don't love you and they do not me they weren't borught up like
    I was brought up or you was brought through love of sidekicks and indoor soccer !!!!!!!

2. wlamar3

wlamar3 Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Harrisburg

Umm, is there a reason you are saying that?

Joey Tee repped this.
  3. dallasindoorsoccer

Jan 2, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    it is very obvious Dallas Sidekicks new owner doesn't give a damn what fans think they hired a head coach who is a big disgrace to the Dallas sidekicks organization it's just a matter of time until the sidekicks burn in hell

4. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Side effects from the Prozac? :confused:

cardshopmd repped this.
  5. powerplay13

powerplay13 Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Well look on the bright side, you still have the Cowboys!

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, they just met you.

wlamar3 repped this.
  7. IL Kicks

IL Kicks Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, to be clear, you are saying an owner who just spent a lot of money to BUY the 'Kicks does not love the 'Kicks? This begs the question: why did they but the 'Kicks in the first place?

dallasindoorsoccer repped this.
  8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We may need to repeat this PSA at this point: The original MISL died in 1992. The heyday of pro indoor soccer ended several years prior to that.

If you are looking for this sport to love you today like you loved it back then, that is simply not possible.

dcunitedTV repped this.
  9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how much they actually spent. I wonder how much a franchise is actually worth. (What someone will pay for it, I guess.)

10. IL Kicks

IL Kicks Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about making a "Schoolhouse Rocks" video, that was always effective.

11. IL Kicks

IL Kicks Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct, something is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay. The new owner of the Sidekicks just shelled out some cash to keep the club alive (for this season, anyway), so he must like indoor soccer and the 'Kicks a little bit.

12. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    I think it was relatively significant because they paid off Tatu and paid back wages to last year's players and they finally wrested the Sidekicks trademarks away from Sonny Williams.

13. dallasindoorsoccer

Jan 2, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    that is correct I do not mean to sound like Rudy Giuliani !!!!

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have a frame of reference for what constitutes "significant" in this context. Tatu was suing for $109,000. That is probably more than it costs to pay off last year's players. (And that's not REALLY part of the "purchase price," though it is part of the outlay, obviously. Had there been no debts like that, there would still be an intrinsic franchise value to be paid, regardless.) And the trademarks have some value, but less than in, say, 1987 or even 1998.

Ronnie Davis didn't sell the entire club, just majority interest. If he, personally got $150,000, that would seem like a lot. What did Bernie Rodin get for the Blast in 1984, $2.9 million? When Nathan Scherr sold it to Ed Hale five years later, he only got $700,000.

I could not see paying $100,000 for most MASL franchises. Most MASL franchises appear to be crap. And John Wilsbach bought one, for crying out loud.

SteveCo repped this.
  15. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    The radio John Wilsbach?

16. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    Yes.

17. Scott717257

Scott717257 Member

Nov 28, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    If there is a rec center you can afford to rent out and know people who are decent at soccer and will play for cheap, you probably could own a MASL franchise yourself at this point...as long as you're near Baltimore, San Diego, Dallas (for now), or located in the central timezone. If you happen to be lucky enough to live in California you can just play in a parking lot if you can buy the boards and goals apparently.

SteveCo repped this.
  18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are ALWAYS guys who will play soccer for cheap. That was proven in the PASL and is continuing to be proven today.

SteveCo repped this.
  19. Scott717257

Scott717257 Member

Nov 28, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Hell, maybe if you're lucky you could land some Chicago ethnic leaguers on the cheap.

MASL keys to successful ownership of a team:

1. Live South or West. You could probably get away with playing small time for a bit in the Central and East, but losing every game by 10+ and having those particular owners nearby would put a ton of pressure on you actually spending money and becoming "professional".
    2. Sign Ethnic league players from Chicago.
    3. Have a criminal record, don't tell them about it though... they won't look or find out until it's too late.
    4. Be willing to start playing tomorrow.

the shelts and SteveCo repped this.
  20. SteveCo

SteveCo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely. The fact that players & staff in Wichita were playing for free much of last season was well publicized due to local news coverage (prior to the team's folding). How many MASL players are 'playing for free' right now? I talked with a player who currently plays in the MASL but also played for a year or so in the PASL (before this fubar merger). He said that bounced checks were 'common'. PASL players had no medical coverage for injuries either. Of course we have some PASL people involved in the MASL. I think that the better-funded teams are likely paying their roster players something but I have to wonder about these rec center teams & lower-revenue teams like Harrisburg.

21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imagine what a union would do. We would be down to six teams again pretty quickly.

SteveCo repped this.
  22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember, they are already superior players playing in a superior league. Or so I have been told.

SteveCo, the shelts and Scott717257 repped this.
  23. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC

Ha ha ha ha ha. Best post of 2015.

Love it

SteveCo repped this.
  24. DallasHammster

Jun 18, 2007
    DALLAS!!!
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. I don't know if he's mellowed in his old age, but around the time the original Sidekicks folded, i was told by sources that he wanted a million dollars or ten percent stake in any future team.

The new ownership came together literally at the last minute, and are still learning things. However, things are improving by leaps and bounds (I rather enjoyed watching them totally work over San Diego for three quarters (8-1 score) last Saturday) both on and off the field.

25. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you for got #5 you can be a sexual predator and still get into the League. #6 the vetting process is easy if your $10,000 league fee clears the bank you have been properly vetted..