Sidebar from Altidore game day: Jozy, the confed cup & all that jazz

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by JuanPeron, Sep 30, 2010.

1. JuanPeron

JuanPeron Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines
    [Mod's Note: This discussion began in a Yanks Abroad pbp thread. I moved it to its own thread this forum because a) it doesn't belong in YA GD and b) people seemed interested in it. Note also that JuanPeron did NOT start this thread, so if you don't like it, don't blame him. It was my idea.]

The Confederations is a glorified friendly tournament. It's just a pre-World Cup tournament. Can we move on? I wish we cared as much about World Cups as we did about that stupid tournament. What have we done to build on those performances? Thinking about the past leaves you there.

2. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Re: Altidore, Rossi. Villarreal vs Club Brugge, EL. 9-30

Completely agree!

3. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You're right I care more about this tournament thant he World Cup. And it's obvious from my post that I can't let it go and think it matters today.

If you don't read/understand my posts than don't comment on them.

It's okay if I disagree with you but doesn't mean you have to put words in my mouth or guess what I think.

4. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ

What does that even mean?

5. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

I think he means that, we havent progressed from that conf. cup final.

6. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Statute, statue was Jozy in the second half.:p

7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

And whuch statue was he imitating?

I doubt it was this one.

[​IMG]

8. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001

The Confed Cup is one of the better tournaments in the world and a lot more entertaining than the World Cup.

9. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004

It's hardly even competitive. Anyone remember who scored the winner any games from 2001? 2003? course not cause it's barely paid attention to. People need to get out to the united states soccer community bubble where its all extremes. A guy scores one goal and he's a world beater. one hat trick against panama or whoever and they are the next Pele, one bad game and they suck and will never be anything ever. Sorry, it means something to do well in important tournaments and be consistent. Not score here and there. once or twice a year and a half ago. Sorry there's 8 teams and a couple are normally minnows. It's a warm up. Want a prestigious tourney, the Euros, Copa America, World cup, African cup of nations. Plus we get there only buy winning a tourney held on our own soil where there's basically only one other team with a hope in hell of beating us. People on big soccer are living in the past whether it's 2002, 2006, or whatever. Some people are realistic but to many lack a perspective.

10. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004

Are you seriously saying that Jozy is as good as Rooney and Torres? That's just ridiculous. I hate to be the one to break it to you Rooney and Torres are getting shit for their current form too. Welcome to the world of high standards.

but Jozy isn't getting shit. He's getting real criticism. He best get used to it cause it even happens to proven goal scorers like Rooney and Torres.

11. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

Bravo.

12. nick1278

nick1278 Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not finishing the two one-on-ones and the gimme far-post tap-in in the first half was unfortunate, but what was worse was his laziness off the ball in the second half. Jefferson Montero is shredding the left side of Brugge for 50 minutes and Jozy is spectating. And then on Jozy's final touch, he makes a nice move to get past the Brugge defender and cuts toward the box with the ball. He has one defender in front of him, and that defender is looking after another VR player. So Jozy has an open path to goal and instead he blasts one from 25 yards out, which deflects out for a corner. A glaring lack of patience and composure, and then he was subbed.

13. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Jozy definitely needsto improveon his fitness. After the 60 min mark he looked to be struggling a bit out there trying to keep pace. I agree he actually looked a little lazy, but he was sucking wind.

The other side of this though is it's hard to get your fitness up to the level needed to go a full 90 in a europa league game, when you're rarely seeing the pitch. If I remember correctly, Jozy went the full 90 against RV, and then went 86 today, but didn't see the pitch for 2-3 weeks before. It's not an excuse, as Jozy missed some great opportunities today, and should have beeen more active in the 2nd half. But realisticly, it is somewhat understandable his fitness isn't where it needs to be given his inconsistent playing time. Again,not an excuse, but I wouldn't be surprised to see an improvement in overall play from him after the friendlies combined with this game and the next europa league game, assuming he gets on the pitch. Might help his confidence and help him establish a rhythm.

14. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999

you are just parroting the announcers. That is a lot easier to say after the play. He had an open shot and he has a very powerful shot. Not taking on a defender when you have a wide open shot is not "glaring lack of patience". This is 20-20 hindsight.

15. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999

moreover, that experience helped us a lot in the WC.

16. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree, at least about the 2009 Confed vs 2010 World Cup. It was a great experience and we actually played better competition- Spain, Italy, Brazil(twice).

17. tubby_butter

tubby_butter Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Providence

I wonder if we'll ever move past this. From what I see, Jozy is playing, positionally, as well as ever. It's not his job to go running around trying to find the ball. I'm sure all of his teammates would tell you that his movement was pretty much as it should have been. And his link up play was good. He's improved in basically every area we've criticized him, and now just needs to be better in the box, plain and simple.

18. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Start knocking a few in the net in La Liga and people will quickly move past it.

19. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ

And what does that mean?

20. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Um, ok. At least I'll agree that some people lack perspective, that's for sure.

Anyway, after having a day to sit on the game I do find it encouraging he is in the right spots to score. One has to go in eventually, even if it's on accident. I think a goal could do him wonders. If he was an in-form, confident striker last night he has two goals at the very least. Big "if" though.

21. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

This thread reminds me why it's so tough to be a USA fan on Big Soccer. We eat our own.

22. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It was super frustrating watching Jozy play yesterday. A lot of posters are probably taking out that frustration.

23. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

Fair enough, but it's frustrating to come back to this thread and read it from the beginning. They make it sound like he's the worst striker ever.

It sounds like Jozy is going through what many strikers go through though - a confidence problem. As long as he keeps plugging away, the goals will come.

24. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

LOL No progression since 28th of june 2009.

25. GRUNT

GRUNT Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You make a valid point about over-reaction on BS, but you also prove another that is just as annoying -- exaggeration.