Side-by-Side Commercials?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by MRschizoid21, Apr 24, 2006.

1. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that I miss them, but, at the end of last season I was something I had gotten used to. Needless to say, I remember being shocked when I realized they were gone.

So what happened to them? Surely it wasn't the complaints of the fans that drove them away.

2. UVA-United

UVA-United New Member

Apr 10, 2005
    My guess is that along with the complaints of fans, MLS wasn't noticing the windfall sponsors desiring to flock their way.

I'm sure the fact that we all had seen the same 6 Sierra Mist/Radio Shack/Honda/Budweiser ads there was no need to put us through all that again.

Shirt sponsors!

3. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what are you thinking, man! shut your pie-hole or they'll bring them back :eek:

4. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Let us never speak of them again...now.

5. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Atlanta, Georgia: US
    I would definitely go for shirt sponsors. The USL has them and I definitely think Americans could handle it (NASCAR anybody?). I'd really prefer shirt sponsors to "FC Dallas" across the middle in big letters with the crest that says "FC Dallas" 2 inches away. This goes for most of the teams (I know LA does, I'm fairly sure RBNY doesn't).

6. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He probably doesn't speak for all fans, but one of my friends is a REAL Eurosnob (I mean, he chose a random team Leicester City as his favorite just to act hardcore), and he said that he prefers White lettering sponsors to team logos/names, because ads gave jerseys "cred" or something like that. I guess it's kinda like how NASCAR fans love seeing sponsors all over their crew jackets.

7. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    RBNY has the sponsor logo on the front because it's considered part of the team badge, so it's acceptable under league shirt advertising rules.

8. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccer's biggest (business-oriented) weakness. It just isn't designed for advertisers. It's *just* about the game.

9. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Atlanta, Georgia: US
    I know. I like that uniform better than most of the others that are cluttered like I mentioned. FC Dallas and the LA Galaxy stand out to me. I do wish RBNY could figure out some way to not have the same two bulls & yellow circle (sun?) logo on both the jersey and the logo next to each other. The league needs to go with sponsors and crests or just lettering/logos on the front and throw the crest on an arm. Considering what the RBNY jerseys look like, it would be fine in my opinion if they kept the crest and used the Red Bull lettering.

10. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found it somewhat amusing that when I watched a little Mexican League soccer over the weekend, lo and behold they had side-by-side commercials. Is this their first year to have that? I don't remember seeing it last year. I got a chuckle out of that one.

11. DCSharksFC

DCSharksFC Member

Feb 28, 2003
    Virginia Tech
    thank god they are gone

12. Red Glory

Red Glory New Member

Apr 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Side by Side made the MLS look so bush league. I am happy its gone.

13. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Exactly what I was going to post.

This thread should be closed before the soccer gods become angered, and side-by-side commercials come back.

14. REMOVED

REMOVED New Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Corporate logos on jerseys are fine. And side-by-side commercials were tolerable last year. Sadly, sometimes those Sierra Mist commercials are better than MLS games.

15. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Good riddance.......

16. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next year, ESPN will be paying to show games. Wonder what they'll come up with to recoup their investment.