Sick of offsides rule!

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by SUDano, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Not that I'm hall monitor or anything, but this thread needs some group therapy. :D

2. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Funny, I like a guy with a sense of humour, you need it on these boards.
    We had a guy on the Liverpool board who claimed that he played with Pele and the Cosmos. :)

How it going Roehl?

3. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Good, thanks. Another all-nighter, and I can't imagine any other place to spend it than on BS. :)

4. InterSoccr6

InterSoccr6 New Member

Nov 12, 2001
    Ohio
    US, I actually play for the El Paso Patriots U-20 side in the A-League, i dont need to brag, i know what im about, and as Forrest Gump said, Thats all i have to say about that.

5. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland

Preferably around some kind of explosive device, I see Bill Archer is a bushie, dont count on him bringing it along ;)

6. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Always good for entertainment.
    Get a look at the clips on the "Cruyffs Brilliance" thread?

7. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Saw it, I will have to dedicate some time to watching those clips. There was another "players to MLS or abroad" thread so much of my non-essential time was spent there today.

8. JCUnited

JCUnited Member

Oct 7, 2002
    South Bend, IN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Without insulting anybody here, let me say that I do not believe the offside rule needs to be changed. I think that, while there are times when a poor call is made or the letter of the law is not quite followed (i.e., refs should be giving the offensive player the benefit of the doubt if it appears to him to be a "tie"-for wont of a better word at this time of night), that in the majority the right call is made. Often there is a questionable call and I get a bit upset at the linesman, but the replay will show him to be absolutely correct.

Not to insult any person on here, but the idea of stopping the game at a dead ball situationa and reviewing the play to see if off side (and subsequently allowing or disallowing a goal) is a dumb idea. Not the person, the idea. Soccer is a game with no time outs or stoppages to check out replays. It would hurt the flow. Plus, if the linesman is getting gruff for making a bad call on an off side, imagine how much a ref will get if five minutes after the fact he is suddenly disallowing a goal for the home team because it was indeed off side.

I personally would much rather have the chance of human error remain then any game stopping or video reviewing measures being implemented for something that really is not that big of a problem. Unless somebody can show conclusive data that refs are blowing the off side rule as much as claimed here earlier (what was it--70%?) or that the bad calls directly effect the outcome of the game, I see no reason to change it.

9. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    I must have made one of those "bad" offside calls last night. At least according to those concerned. "The defender was at least 5 yards behind him." No, sorry coach, the defender was about 2-3 yards behind him at the time he received the ball. But you weren't looking at them at the time the ball was kicked, were you? And you weren't looking at it square from the sideline were you? (Although the football yard lines did make things a bit easier to see from slight angles.) Because if you were looking at the time I was, you would have seen that the defender was moving toward the goal, attacker moving away from the goal, and at the time of the kick they had still not intersected positions.

Oh, and the video replay thing - are we going to wait 3 days for some Norwegian tv crew to release pictures proving the ref (Esse B) was right?

10. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    fitting choice of reference.....

11. classicalmusic

classicalmusic New Member

Sep 7, 2001

Seeing that you are here trolling as usual on Big Soccer, I agree wholeheartedly.

By the way, it is "village" -- not "villiage."

12. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    So...doing some remedial math....

U-20 ...means your max age is 19

19 - 15 = 4

so your "experience" starts from kicking a beach ball in your living room with your ol' man?

There aren't any U-5 leagues that I know of.

13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Exactly.

Ref's and linesman's decisions are human, i.e. like the players decisions - they're part of the game.

The problem with the offside rule, as far as I'm concerned, is the ludicrous 'active/not active' crap. As far as I'm concerned if the ball is played forward and a player is in a offside position, that's it - unless he's lying in a coma or something similar, he's offside. If the defenders can see him and think that if the ball is played forward he's offside, then he's offside by definition.

I've said this before on here on another thread - The way things are going we're going to have to send players onto the pitch with uojia boards so that they can predict what decisions is going to be made.