SI Grab Bag.... Vol. 1

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by JRedknapp11, Aug 2, 2002.

1. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
    Being a Metro fan and MLS fan in general...some of these SI picks that I have seen come and go through the years have left me scratching my head. With so many players across the globe, you would think your Branco's, Khumalo's and so forth would be easily passed over for better talent.

So since MLS seems pretty narrowed eyed on whom to properly aquire...I'm going to list on somewhat of a weekly basis players from across the globe that could be somewhat easily obtained for one our clubs. I'll start out with mainly European based players and work from there.

Hope you enjoy.....

Arthur Numan - D -Dutch - Rangers

Roberto Baggio - F - Italy - Brescia

Ramon Vega - D - Swiss - Released from Tottenham

Paul Ince - M - Eng. - available on a free

Alesandro Costacuarta - D - Italy -avail. on a free

Zuniga - F - Peru - Released by Coventry

A. Di Livio - M - Italy - being shopped by Fiorentina

I. Del La Penna - M - Spain - avail. on a free

Paul Merson - M - Eng. - looking for 1st ball

R. Partridge - m - Eire - wants to leave Liverpool

J. Miles-F-Eng -young F, LFC prospect, avail on free

Lee Sharpe -M-Eng.- on a free, tryed out for Metros

S. Gonzalez -M-Chile - Colo Colo star wants out

J. Borghetti -F- Mexican wants out of MFL

O. Bierhoff -F- German star avail. on a free

T. Vidmar -m- Australian - veteran avail. on a free

A. Bennevario - Italian avail on a free..I think

Karim Bagheri-F-Quatar-talented F avail on free

Ned Zelic-m- Aussie- veteran avail on a free

R. Marquez -D- Mex.- wants out of Monaco

Alex -M- Jap./Brazil S-Pulse put low price tag on him

A. Kanchelskis -Rus.-m- avail on a free from Rangers

...also one could say anyone from the SPL could be obtained for a fair price due to their slumping finances.

2. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    right, but how many of those players actually want to play in the MLS?

3. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marquez, we definetely want Marquez.

4. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
    Most of those players listed and future listings are of and will be of players who have stated in the media that they simply want 1st team football and a pay check...with the financial situation for most clubs in Europe and beyond being less then desirable...the old phrase bullshi- walks and money talks, comes into effect.

MLS may not be able to give out huge pay days, but we can offer 1st team football with a decent check included...most of your average and veteran players make almost what MLS pays their players.

5. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The collapse of euro soccer will improve our chances for WC2006. Why bail them out?

6. UncleSam527

UncleSam527 Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Yeah, let's put him in LA so he'll boost attendance like El Flop-a-dor.

Seriously, the league has enough players making bad tackles.

7. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Originally posted by JRedknapp11

Ramon Vega - D - Swiss - Released from Tottenham

Junk.

I. Del La Penna - M - Spain - avail. on a free

No chance on Earth.

Paul Merson - M - Eng. - looking for 1st ball

Looking for first team action doesn't mean he necessarily wants to move thousands of miles. I'm sure he'd retire first.

Lee Sharpe -M-Eng.- on a free, tryed out for Metros

Was let go by <i>Grimsby Town</i> after one day of a trial. That says it all.

J. Borghetti -F- Mexican wants out of MFL

But would never accept a move that leaves him making a fraction of what he makes in Mexico.

Karim Bagheri-F-Quatar-talented F avail on free

He's Iranian - and no thanks anyway.

Ned Zelic-m- Aussie- veteran avail on a free

Total junk. Go to the QPR board and ask about him.

R. Marquez -D- Mex.- wants out of Monaco

Doesn't mean he's coming back this way. You might as well forget the Mexicans, because the MFL pays its stars much, much more than MLS.

[/B]

How come virtually all your players are in their mid-30's? I'd rather keep signing the Ruizes, Garcias and (can't believe I'm saying this) Quintanillas, thank you very much.

8. Id take Borghetti if he would be willing to come here. I think he'd fit in well here.

9. lion

lion New Member

Feb 22, 2002
    How about ex-Bayern skipper Stefan Effenberg? He is building a house in Florida, I hear. He can finish out his playing days here.

Of course, an equally appropriate question is whether any MLS team will take him or not even if he is available for free or cheap, given his attitude problems.

10. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Why is everything the World Cup? From a World Cup perspective, I'm more worried about helping other Concacaf countries beat us in qualifying.

MLS (or to generalize, club football) is more important than the the World Cup.

11. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Re: Re: SI Grab Bag.... Vol. 1

You beat me to that one. :D

12. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Just what sort of money can these players expect from MLS?

13. tpm

tpm New Member

Sep 28, 2000
    Long Beach, CA
    "Easily obtained?" You're either a serial optimist or smoking crack :) Seriously, although I don't know every single player on that list, I think I can say with some certainty that very, very few, if any, could be "easily obtained." Money rules most out, then distance, then the particular club (they can't all play near NY or Boston), etc. etc.

14. The Artist

The Artist Member+

Mar 22, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very hush hush

I don't want to get anybody's hopes up, but I've heard some rumors about Gascoigne and Weah coming to MLS. In fact it's practically a done deal. Just don't tell anyone, okay. MLS will make an announcement imminently.

15. The Artist

The Artist Member+

Mar 22, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And by the way, what's the big deal about someone trying to start a thread about players who are available for cheap, who aren't superstars, or who are unhappy with their current playing situations? I don't think JRedknapp11 was saying MLS should rush out and get all these guys or that all these guys would knock over their grandmothers to sign an MLS contract. He's just providing info for interesting discussion.

oh, and how much do players make in the MFL anyway?

16. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net

Ahhh...someone who has finally seen the light...like you said...they're just available and have been quoted as saying they just want to play...nothing wrong with that... you'll never know which player would or wouldn't want to come untill you extend a hand. Doesn't cost a penny to put in a transfer request.

17. FootyMundo

FootyMundo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Minneapolis
    A friend of mine knows a player agent in Argentina. There are enumerable players in the Argentine league that would give their right arm to play in MLS. Really good players. Part of the problem is the number of internationals MLS teams are allowed. Part of the problem is economics.