SI.com interview with AEG's Tim Leiweke

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by wufc, Jul 15, 2005.

1. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read: The salary cap will continue to grow and teams will get to spend more outside the salary cap lines in the future. Especially AEG teams.

4. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

No one says this kind of thing unless they're prepared to back it up. The thing is it will take a ridiculous amount of money and resources that one lone organization - AEG - may or may not have.

The other possibilities are he may be incredibly stupid - which I don't believe - or he may be trying to rally the other investors into matching AEG's motivation - which I really don't believe. Or he's serving his own career interests by playing the visionary.

By the way, they really are getting creative about finding new ways to say 60-90 days.

5. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Did you miss someone?

Think it was inadvertant who he left out?

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    SI.com: What's your take on the Metros' current stadium situation?

Leiweke: Although we have an extremely good relationship with the New Jersey Sports and Entertainment Commission, we have to find a soccer-specific stadium solution. And I believe by the end of the summer we will have that done.

Hmm. An announcement in the next 9 weeks perhaps?

This is the longest article I've seen in which Timmy essentially tells us nothing.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Re: Did you miss someone?

I thought the same thing. Did JV attend the meeting?

8. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Their "extremely good relationship" with the NJSEA is news to me.

9. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Leiweke has a reputation in some circles outside of MLS as being a lot of talk (I think there's one columnist in the LA area that just hates the guy). I really don't know the background on it, but Leiweke's been called out for blowing smoke.

10. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, Leiweke has come a long way from his days with the Kansas City Comets of the old MISL. When it was all about lazers, smoke machines and blareing jock rock.

11. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, he does say stuff like:

"If within 10 years from today Major League Soccer is not top four and hopefully top two or three in the conscience and the minds and the hearts and the pocketbooks of the sports community in this country, we will have failed."

12. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oy.

Then again, he probably was interviewed before the NHL settled its problems. Not that I'm suggesting that the NHL will be like it ever was. Baseball came back from nearly as bad a break, but that was baseball.

I really don't understand why people in soccer keep making these stupid statements. Say "We'll be disappointed" rather than "we will have failed." It's really not that hard.

But I guess being up there in the wealthy/powerful universe, you say these things, really mean them, because it often makes things happen.

Still...

13. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's interesting to see DC will apparently be sold so soon.

Does this mean that stadium plans in DC are going well?

14. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sounds a lot like......60 to 90 days!

15. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as there is single-entity, the LLC members committee makes decisions based on the percentage of teams owned, right? So it is like the US Senate and AEG only has 5/12 of the votes. Soon to be 4/12 of the votes. This structure actually favors the small market teams.

Tim's comments do not seem revolutionary. The status of the Rapids really worries me the most. The owner has not given an indication that he wants to spend on salaries yet (including allegedly low-balling the coach's salary).

Also very diplomatic w.r.t. Stillitano.

16. todd_knode

todd_knode New Member

Jun 30, 2005
    San Diego via DC

This was made public a while ago. Kevin Payne and several real estate investors are the new ownership group.
    Two of the guys are involved in getting a minor league baseball stadium in Richmond, VA built and have also bid on the new Nationals baseball stadium project. But there is no word on any progress...

17. Harvest FC

Harvest FC New Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Napa, CA
    "...We own four of these teams, so I try to stay above the fray. But we demand excellence from all our teams. Doug is clearly under the most pressure, because the Galaxy are the model franchise, within the AEG group at least, and we've put more money into them because of the Home Depot Center. So Doug's under an enormous amount of pressure for success, and in turn Doug's coach is going to be under an enormous amount of pressure for success. I think Steve knew that coming here and he relishes that, but you make your judgment on Steve at the end of the year, not mid-year."

I think Sigi Schmid would disagree with this.

18. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think there's a defacto agreement that Vergara is more less free to pursue his vision as he ses fit, within reason. You don't shell out the cash Vergara shelled out and then let someone else call the shots.

19. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone else notice how often he referred to "the pitch" and even said "football" instead of soccer? Obviously a Europoser :D

20. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    Take anything this guys says with a grain of salt. A month ago he said the metro stadium would be finalized in 2 weeks and SJ would be sold in 2 weeks. I think he just like to hear himself talk.

21. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed.

The Metros stadium situation is absolutely pathetic.

22. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    He also alludes to spending more money at the beginning of the interview (as been noted) and on the Beckham question but then turns back on that by using hockey's minor leagues as an example.

And nothing on the Guppy brother pay-off with regard to the "35-year olds coming here for their last paychecks" ... hehe.

Well, as I said before, their model should be a ~ "5-foreign player per team, $3-4M hard cap" league. They may try squeezing the young'uns but this will bite them back because quality young players will begin to find their way to the lower tier Euro leagues after making $12-15K throughout their first MLS contract. Pay the break-out stars $100-150K and MLS will keep them longer and might be able to collect some transfer fees to boot.

Big Euro or Mexican stars only work if the product is there to showcase them. Low quality soccer with or without Beckham won't sell to the general sports public. I am not sure if Tim understands that.

Oh and if MLS teams averaged 17-20K of real paying attendance, then it would become a fairly healthy league. Anything on top of that is groovy gravy.

23. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stop making so much sense! I think were going along ok for now. I think MLS needs to set the bar high and dream big while staying within a safe area of income. It is going to be interesting to see how DC United and the Galaxy fair against two of the world's richest clubs. The buck starts here...

24. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopeful sign, however, that Bush is sending legislation to the Congress to swap land with the District, some of which is Poplar Point, targeted as the site for United's stadium and across the Anacostia River from the proposed site of the Nat's new stadium. Link here.

...and United is doing a lot to build ties with the local (as contrasted with suburban) community...the one without which the stadium won't be built:
    "D.C. United players and other distinguished guests are set to appear at the grand opening of the first-ever United Reads Reading Corner located at the Children’s Health Center in Southeast, D.C. The grand opening is set for Thursday, June 9 from 3:30 - 5:00 p.m. Invited guests include Mayor Williams, Councilmember Marion Barry and the Honorable Eleanor Holmes Norton."

Those are three very politically important invitees. Apparently all fronts are being worked.

25. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC

Wouldn't you think, though, that pursuing his vision independently, given MLS's set up, would be precisely the kind of abdication of authority that you're suggesting he wouldn't accept?

Personally, I just thought it was funny: "These guys are among the greatest sports minds there are" and he leaves out Jorge...